Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53759 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #225 on: September 26, 2009, 02:19:11 AM »

Maybe I should hold a repeat of the first clinic before I hold the second one. Anyone interested?

ready for part deux.  :x
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #226 on: September 26, 2009, 05:38:31 AM »
The Werchmant guys referred to them as FTD cause of teh bombas.  Not the Luftwafffe guys.  I have a question on the P38 in AH:

1) Has it undergone a FM makeover since it was first introduced?  I used to fly it back in the early days and that thought it pretty much sucked.  Then I took some time off around 2005 and when I came back late 2007..maybe early 08, the damned thing flew like a dream.  I know I didnt get any better.....thought it was odd.

The only reason I ask is that I would like the 51s to get a similar rewrite if the 38 did in fact get one.

Some were made heavier awhile back.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #227 on: September 26, 2009, 07:15:10 AM »
there is something clearly wrong with the p-38L !!!!   :noid

P-38G   2   0   
P-38J      7   3   
P-38L      6   6   

it is too ugly to have a 1-1 k/d vs. my beautiful FW-190a8  :huh ...

oh sorry, i looked deeper and in the clearly superior FW-190a8 i am 5/3 sooo never mind  :aok

srsly though it does raise some eyebrows maneuvering as it does being one of the biggest heaviest fighters of the war(the heaviest USAAF fighter),  
floats like a Huey too (ya right whatever "couBSgh"),
does not auger or fold up nearly enough for how it is flown in here(of course none of the planes do)
and those nifty air breaks combined with the "virtual fairie dust flaps" do result in some "interesting" maneuvers (stinker bell engineering)

i would be much happier if i saw them depart more often in that deservedly unrecoverable way, which was the real trade off for all that weight, torque, and huge adjustments in airfoil while maneuvering ...

but hey since none of those trixy trix are ACM, and either a crutch or an act of desperation you can do just fine vs the "split tails" ...  :rofl

after all i haven't been here that long and i am having no trouble with them whatsoever ...

no offense and mostly meant as humor ..

++S++

t

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:20:06 AM by thorsim »
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2009, 07:18:07 AM »

srsly though it does raise some eyebrows maneuvering as it does being one of the biggest heaviest fighters of the war(the heaviest USAAF fighter),  

rethink that

After reading your posts since being on this board, I'm wondering where you get any of your info.

I hope this isn't some type of bait...Will do my best not to swallow the hook.  :uhoh
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:20:21 AM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2009, 07:22:09 AM »
was the twin pony heavier ???

didn't really consider that one, not even sure i should ...
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2009, 07:23:09 AM »
I'm sorry, are you talking loaded weight or empty?

I was always under the impression the P-47 loaded was heavier. If i'm wrong I apologize.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:25:28 AM by B4Buster »
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2009, 07:35:36 AM »
rethink that

After reading your posts since being on this board, I'm wondering where you get any of your info.

I hope this isn't some type of bait...Will do my best not to swallow the hook.  :uhoh

maybe you should look again, i have a pretty good idea what you are thinking ...

as far as what i post goes ...

i have been having these discussions for 12 years and you will find that i am most often correct, or at least presenting a very very valid point.  if you find yourself consistently disagreeing with me it is most likely your point of view that you need to be concerned with.  i may be a Fan of some planes, as we all are, but some of those planes will surprise you, and after arguing with "fanboys" for so many years i am pretty much unable to post BS and have little tolerance for others posting BS as "fact", and even less for those who accuse me of posting BS.   

when you check the weights and find that you are incorrect i am sure you will come back here and state that publicly, right?

mmmk thanks,

++S++

t

t
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2009, 07:37:04 AM »
Next to the spitfire the P38 is by FAR the easiest plane to learn quickly and do well in.  It has its little quirks but it is, overall, the best fighter in AH.

could you then please explain why pile-its such as myself, were scoring, and landing kills in a spit5 in only a couple of flights? yet after about 3 years in ah, it took a week or so to be able to score and land kills in the 38?

spitfire needs no flap management. it needs no real throttle management. if you make a mistake in it, it covers you, and it recovers fast. i am not meaning this derogatorily towards spit drivers...i realize they take skill to succeed in too.  

p38 NEEDS throttle management. without flaps, you ain't surviving against anyone. you NEED to learn to use the rudder properly, and at the right times, whereas in other planes, you can get away without it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #233 on: September 26, 2009, 07:40:23 AM »
I'm sorry, are you talking loaded weight or empty?

I was always under the impression the P-47 loaded was heavier. If i'm wrong I apologize.

yea well only 3-4 thousand pounds ...

now you could take off with as much weight in the jugg as the 38 but that just means the jugg carried more ord., of course the 38 could carry its ord farther ...

apology accepted, and kudos for posting it ...

my apology for the snippy reply but i don't like being accused of being FOS or being ASSUMED to be such.

++S++

t

« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 07:41:59 AM by thorsim »
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #234 on: September 26, 2009, 07:41:07 AM »
Next to the spitfire the P38 is by FAR the easiest plane to learn quickly and do well in.  It has its little quirks but it is, overall, the best fighter in AH.

easiest next to the spit?

zeek2, zeek5, hurri2....ooo....wait....they're easier.

f6f

hardest? i think, in no particular order......

p38, p51, any of the fw's, ta152, p40, p47, and i think the 109's too.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #235 on: September 26, 2009, 07:42:00 AM »
I am not one of the better sticks in the 38, most nights I am lucky enough to hit something once in a while. Well, stuff besides trees and the ground in general, that is.

I was hoping that many of the people spreading the erroneous information would attend my P38 clinic, I was even hoping for some 109 sticks to come and see how best to fight the P38.

Maybe I should hold a repeat of the first clinic before I hold the second one. Anyone interested?

yesyesyesyesyes   YES!!!! please.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #236 on: September 26, 2009, 07:44:10 AM »
i think that possibly the 38 will cover up some more mistakes than most of the others. 
all those options really really expand it's envelope ...

but it is very hands on in the process.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #237 on: September 26, 2009, 07:46:57 AM »
maybe you should look again, i have a pretty good idea what you are thinking ...

as far as what i post goes ...

i have been having these discussions for 12 years and you will find that i am most often correct, or at least presenting a very very valid point.  if you find yourself consistently disagreeing with me it is most likely your point of view that you need to be concerned with.  i may be a Fan of some planes, as we all are, but some of those planes will surprise you, and after arguing with "fanboys" for so many years i am pretty much unable to post BS and have little tolerance for others posting BS as "fact", and even less for those who accuse me of posting BS.   

when you check the weights and find that you are incorrect i am sure you will come back here and state that publicly, right?

mmmk thanks,

++S++

t

any chance you've read anytthing about the 38? she was an amazing aircraft, and a fairly well engineered one too. she was capable of a lot of things that might surprise you.

and yes, she could turn very well. AKAK quoted some AAR reports in another p38 thread to show this. possibly he could add them here for your, and others benifit.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #238 on: September 26, 2009, 07:50:39 AM »
i think that possibly the 38 will cover up some more mistakes than most of the others. 
all those options really really expand it's envelope ...

but it is very hands on in the process.

trust me......i've made every mistake in the book, in spits, zeeks, hellkitties, 38's 39's......the 38 although a deadly aircraft(in the right hands), is a VERY harsh mistress.
 if you screw up, she'll slam ya.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #239 on: September 26, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »

any chance you've read anytthing about the 38? she was an amazing aircraft, and a fairly well engineered one too. she was capable of a lot of things that might surprise you.

and yes, she could turn very well. AKAK quoted some AAR reports in another p38 thread to show this. possibly he could add them here for your, and others benifit.

yes i have read a lot, it is a very interesting aircraft.  i wont debate it's quality with you as it was clearly effective.  

i will state that my comments are more on the lines of ...

in these video games the p38 will surprise you more often than most other planes will and that is what i was speaking about, not so much the actual performance of the plane historically.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah