Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53756 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #285 on: September 26, 2009, 04:08:36 PM »
doh, let down by spell check again ...

my apologies for you all not being able to understand what i was talking about ...

clearly you all can continue to feel secure in your virtual representation of reality ...

never mind ...

>>> 60deg flap deployed in dogfights at or near your stall speeds <<<

sure you guys talk to real pilots, sure you do ...

p-38 maximum flap setting is 50 degrees.

i've never used full flaps near stall.....but i have a few bookmarks for ya..when i get home.

did you look up fowler flaps yet?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #286 on: September 26, 2009, 04:18:50 PM »

What is your point with harping on flaps usage constantly? What aspect of AHII P-38 performance do you think defies physics?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #287 on: September 26, 2009, 04:21:48 PM »
What is your point with harping on flaps usage constantly? What aspect of AHII P-38 performance do you think defies physics?

it's all he's got left.

he's forgetting that pony drivers have flaps available too.....as do others.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #288 on: September 26, 2009, 06:43:29 PM »
doh, let down by spell check again ...

my apologies for you all not being able to understand what i was talking about ...

clearly you all can continue to feel secure in your virtual representation of reality ...

never mind ...

sure you guys talk to real pilots, sure you do ...

You are in the JG27 squad that came over from AW correct?   Question.   Were you this obnoxious in that game/forum as you are over here?    Because you know very little on anything you've "discussed".  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #289 on: September 26, 2009, 06:45:02 PM »
Some people refuse to be wrong.

Oh well, im entertained.
Strokes

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #290 on: September 26, 2009, 08:41:22 PM »
Is this clinic still open? 

For the sake of my marriage, I only do a certain number of hours in AH a week. Much of the time I've wanted to finish the second clinic have been taken up by 1:1s in the TA lately, heck, I have 4 people just this weekend that are looking for me (I haven't added them to the calendar yet, see below). When those requests lighten up a little, I'll start working on number two.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/calendar/

Btw, I will never attest to being the best or even a good 38 driver but much of the time I can at least examine what the other guy is doing wrong. Unfortunately, I can't always practice what I preach.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #291 on: September 26, 2009, 09:49:37 PM »
For the sake of my marriage, I only do a certain number of hours in AH a week. Much of the time I've wanted to finish the second clinic have been taken up by 1:1s in the TA lately, heck, I have 4 people just this weekend that are looking for me (I haven't added them to the calendar yet, see below). When those requests lighten up a little, I'll start working on number two.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/calendar/

Btw, I will never attest to being the best or even a good 38 driver but much of the time I can at least examine what the other guy is doing wrong. Unfortunately, I can't always practice what I preach.

Limited time isnt good with this new product coming out!!!

http://www.fsd-international.com/Hangar/P38/index.htm
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #292 on: September 26, 2009, 10:17:42 PM »

they're actually skinning the red bull 38? that sucks.

they should've skinned her as the white lightning...as she was famous for.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #293 on: September 26, 2009, 11:08:40 PM »
it's all he's got left.

he's forgetting that pony drivers have flaps available too.....as do others.  :aok

lord dont mention the F4U then.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #294 on: September 26, 2009, 11:41:18 PM »
they're actually skinning the red bull 38? that sucks.

they should've skinned her as the white lightning...as she was famous for.

Within a very short period of time someone will fix that. I live for the free skins users make its like getting free airplanes which is why the Airplanes folder on my FSX is so large. I have to learn how to use that textures.cfg thing!
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #295 on: September 27, 2009, 04:45:51 AM »
umm ok dive breaks i stand corrected ...

not buying the not slowing you down part, that may have not been the primary purpose in their design but i assure you they would in real life increase your drag and slow you down.  

i can't say how AH models them though.

fyi wikipedia is not vetted, doesn't bother me much but some will stomp on you for posting that as a source.

The correct term is dive flaps, since that is what they were and not dive/air brakes.  The job of the dive flaps was to off-set compressibility during high speed dives  and not slow the plane down.  When deployed, it provided a nose up pitch  and any loss of energy from the use of dive flaps was a result of the nose pitching up and not the dive flaps themselves.  The drag they add isn't sufficient enough to provide any 'braking'.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #296 on: September 27, 2009, 08:38:35 AM »

Anyone notice that they have the correct P-38L performance specifications? It gives a top speed with WEP as 443MPH at 28K feet, and HP as being 1725HP at 64" MAP. It shows military power at 414MPH.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline stodd

• Gold Member
« Reply #297 on: September 27, 2009, 10:29:31 AM »
The word is "brake"  Just saying.. since you're so rarely wrong
:rofl :rofl
Stodd/ CandyMan
I don't get why you even typed that, you know it's stupid.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #298 on: September 27, 2009, 10:35:08 AM »
actually most comments i have heard over in WB from AH transplants is that it is too hard and they leave ...
that is very understandable, there have been alot of people who have left AH and went to other "easier" flight sim FM's

also i do not explore the games beyond real world ACM much so in regards to the relative tricks, i admit i am not so familiar with those. ...
so if you limit yourself to what you have read from history of WWII combat flight AAR's or to what the training manual says for WWII aircraft, then you will never find out what the Extreme limits of these planes "flight envelope" truely are...... seriously... if all the Combat fighter pilots of WWII had the same amount of "seat time" in the planes we get to simulate flying in these flight sims, I am certian they would have found what these birds of prey could really do......

i am not sure why and i am not sure where the "accuracy" advantage lies but in regards to the flaps ...

their use in combat was not at all as it is being used in the game and investigations will show anyone who cares to look why.
for the most part, most WWII pilots that flew fighters never had the chance of 10,000+ hours of seat time to learn the complete in's and out's of their particular plane....... True, noone dies in this or any other flight sim game, but on the other hand if they had simulators like we have today, back then, then it would be completely different writing in the history books....... we can only imagine of what the difference would be....

and if you want to research it, you can find youtube videos and/or reports of P-38s, F4Us, P51s, 109s, etc etc....... to where they were tested and pushed to the limits.......... some even in our time of today.......  ever been to see the USAF Thunderbirds or the USN Blue angels?  and they do that stuff with Jets, imagine what they could do in  WWII prop planes.........  food for thought.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #299 on: September 27, 2009, 11:01:22 AM »
My Ki84 owns any of you P38 BBS queens :devil
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"