Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53773 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #420 on: September 28, 2009, 10:38:23 PM »
one question if there were no drag consequences to the dive flaps, and they solved a critical design flaw,

then why weren't they a fixed feature and not deployable/retractable ...

they offered a correction for a specific state of flight and were only an advantage then, otherwise they produced drag(slowed you down) and were then considered undesirable.

i assure you most anything you drop extend or add to an airplane adds drag, that would include the "i am a p-38 fanboy" banner btw ...

they provided no advantage. they provided a tool for a pilot to remove himself from a bad situation, should he have gotten into it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #421 on: September 28, 2009, 10:40:05 PM »
it does max out someplace between 30 and 60 and since you asked me what bothered me about flaps in general i don't see what is so funny about my 30-60 or earlier 60 degree comment.  it is a statement in reference to flaps in general in AH.

why haven't you commented on my examples re the hog and hawk, their AH flaps and what their POHs say?

10 degrees you should get more lift and more drag in proportion to 10 degrees of deployment ...

anything else?

well, you tried to avoid answering the question.

so...answer my question please? what happens when you plunk down 10 degrees of flaps in level flight?

and if you're going where i think you are, with the 30-60 degree comment, you're wrong there too. BTW...the 38 doesn't have 60 degrees fo flaps.  :D
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #422 on: September 28, 2009, 10:46:16 PM »
Phillips understands more about aerodynamics than just about anyone living today. None of what I have said or what he has written (except about Virdens death) are in disagreement with what you said or what the engineers said about the problem. You are just being argumentative because of what is going on between you and these other guys. Phillips isnt the only one to say this either as airspacemag reports the same thing.

Virden died because the spring loaded servo mechanism did its job too well and the load it put upon the tail broke the tail. So you could say (and you wouldnt be wrong) that his death was engineered but that sort of thing happens in war.

Johnson is not a god and engineers screw up sometimes.  :(

The piece that broke was a spring tab operating link, it was not a spring loaded servo mechanism. The spring tab operating link was there to hook the spring tab to the elevator. It's not that it did its job too well, it's that it broke, and did not do its job at all.

I'm not being argumentative at all. I'm stating what the Lockheed people wrote, after the NACA reports in May 1942, and that they tried moving the tail, as suggested, but put it back where it was, because it did not solve the "tail flutter problem", and it did overload the air frame.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #423 on: September 28, 2009, 10:47:22 PM »
it does max out someplace between 30 and 60 and since you asked me what bothered me about flaps in general i don't see what is so funny about my 30-60 or earlier 60 degree comment.  it is a statement in reference to flaps in general in AH.

why haven't you commented on my examples re the hog and hawk, their AH flaps and what their POHs say?

10 degrees you should get more lift and more drag in proportion to 10 degrees of deployment ...

anything else?

yea...what does the airplane do when you put the flaps out?

p38 has 50 degrees.

i've flown the hog once or twice, and didn't last long enough to get to the point of flap deployment. i know the 38, pony, hurri, some of the spits, the zeeks, and the hellkitty.

the 38 is my ride of choice, because i'm FINALLY good enough in it to at least put up a good fight. she's always been my first love of aircraft...even before the p51. when all my friends were going apechit over the ponys, i was oogling the magnificent lines of the p38.

i don't know if htc has the different types of flaps modeled for their differences in here or not. the kat has full flaps i think, the spit n hurris have split flaps(either full up or full down) and i think the zeeks have split flaps.

when i feel the need to bring the nose round hard and fast, i pop flaps, and suck em back in as soon as i can.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #424 on: September 28, 2009, 11:03:00 PM »
I really feel like this explains a lot in and of itself, remember that the P-38 has fowler flaps.
Flaps-per-se

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #425 on: September 28, 2009, 11:15:34 PM »
I'm not being argumentative at all. I'm stating what the Lockheed people wrote, after the NACA reports in May 1942, and that they tried moving the tail, as suggested, but put it back where it was, because it did not solve the "tail flutter problem", and it did overload the air frame.

I understand that... I think you know that Lockheed simply didnt have the data and knowledge of aerodynamics that we have today or Johnson would have designed the P-38 with a full-flying stab (in fact it was recommended by NACA) but by the time that realization struck it was war time and Lockheed could not afford a redesign (neither could the U.S.).
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #426 on: September 28, 2009, 11:24:41 PM »
ya'll still talking about this?
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #427 on: September 28, 2009, 11:25:58 PM »
Hey, I've got my own type of flap! I knew I was loved.  ;)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #428 on: September 28, 2009, 11:31:29 PM »
Less than 2 days to get all those 38s at under $20!  :D

http://skyunlimited.net/p38_fsx.htm

Im still tossing around buying those or waiting on Flight Sim Developers.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #429 on: September 28, 2009, 11:33:21 PM »
ya'll still talking about this?

yep.
got a problem wit dat?

:noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #430 on: September 28, 2009, 11:39:36 PM »
yep.
got a problem wit dat?

:noid

Nope.  Just want to see how long I can keep saying it.   :noid
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #431 on: September 28, 2009, 11:53:06 PM »
Nope.  Just want to see how long I can keep saying it.   :noid
:aok :rofl :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #432 on: September 29, 2009, 12:14:39 AM »
...remember that the P-38 has fowler flaps.

That statement can cause a lot of confusion because the P-38 didn't just have Fowler flaps, it had a conventional hinged flap system as well.  It was a hybrid design, the Fowler flap (i.e. combat flaps) was the first setting, after that the flap system became more of hinged flap and had other flap settings.

ack-ack

"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #433 on: September 29, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »
That statement can cause a lot of confusion because the P-38 didn't just have Fowler flaps, it had a conventional hinged flap system as well.
Don't confuse him even more, he can barely stand logic as it is!

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #434 on: September 29, 2009, 12:35:37 AM »
I'm thinking it's time for an emergency SAPP meeting with a vote to petition HTC for removal of the P38 from the game and all the SAPP pilots start flying Spitfire 16s.

I had no idea the 38 was such a problem!  Never stopped me from dying, in a cartoon sorta way, ever :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters