Author Topic: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.  (Read 53759 times)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
Re: P-38 kill ratio...out of whack.
« Reply #450 on: September 29, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »
yea i just think that we get away with way too much, don't you ?

but..........

there ARE consequences for "hanging it out" too much.

trust me i know. i die a LOT of cartoon deaths from that.  :rofl

are you ok?

you seem to laughing a lot at things that are not funny, or is that some kind of fear response to the thought of loosing your video game entitlement?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 08:36:26 AM by thorsim »
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #451 on: September 29, 2009, 08:35:36 AM »
yea i just think that we get away with way too much, don't you ???

no, as a matter of fact, i don't.

given the time we get in our cartoon airplanes, the rl pilots would've found the same things.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #452 on: September 29, 2009, 08:43:16 AM »

no, as a matter of fact, i don't.

given the time we get in our cartoon airplanes, the rl pilots would've found the same things.

so we are better in our virtual planes than say Thomas McGuire, was in his real one?

it is not more likely that our virtual situations are much easier than the real ones he faced?

i have heard this argument before and quite frankly it is probably the attitude that most deserves ...

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

and any other silly little funny faces intended to belittle other peoples statements when you have no real counter argument to make.

done with you and your idiocy sir ...

enjoy the video game ...

Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #453 on: September 29, 2009, 08:59:13 AM »

are you ok?

you seem to laughing a lot at things that are not funny, or is that some kind of fear response to the thought of loosing your video game entitlement?

yea, i'm perfectly fine.

generally when i lose my cartoon airplane, it's from me pushing the limits too far. i find that fun, and amusing.

i also find you somewhat amusing, and entertaining.  :D
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #454 on: September 29, 2009, 09:03:53 AM »
Nice expression that is probably appropriate somewhere... but it doesnt mean squat.

Let me explain it to you then.

I'd by far trust the words of the folks who designed, built, and tested (the treating Doctor) a plane before I'd trust in some authors (Doctor on the other side of the planet not treating patient) ideas of said plane.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #455 on: September 29, 2009, 09:05:11 AM »
so we are better in our virtual planes than say Thomas McGuire, was in his real one?

it is not more likely that our virtual situations are much easier than the real ones he faced?

i have heard this argument before and quite frankly it is probably the attitude that most deserves ...

:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl

and any other silly little funny faces intended to belittle other peoples statements when you have no real counter argument to make.

done with you and your idiocy sir ...

enjoy the video game ...

they REALLY funny thing here, is that i(and others) have placed facts up here for you to absorb. and yet you think i'm the one that's an idiot?  :rofl

and also, here you are using real live comparisons, whereas about 4 pages back, you're saying how these real life comparisons don't wash? sheesh!!

i have WAY too much respect for one of the greatest american aces to even begin to make the comparison you're trying to make.

you're not done here, as you're too thick to realize how wrong you really are. you refuse to left those silly little facts sink in. facts. proven. demonstrated.

you think you know much more than you really do....

it is fun trying to educate the likes of you though.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #456 on: September 29, 2009, 09:06:53 AM »

are you ok?

He's laughing at you as most of us are.

Go ahead and rattle more it is entertaining.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #457 on: September 29, 2009, 09:07:22 AM »

i understand the numbers. numbers cannot, and do not tke into account the many many variables in a fight though, as shown here.

now to figure out how the hell to link the film.

Cap1 thanks for the taking the time, to film it, and describe it in such detail. I will watch later. I'm at work now.

Also i would like to clear up one big mis-understanding...

I do realize that the 38 departs later and possibly not at all if flown correctly. But I'm talking about chasing a P38 at nearly similar speed in level flight and he pulls vertical and I pull up after him. In the initial part of the manuever, well before the onset of stall for either plane, the P-38 seems to extend away as though it were losing speed slower. There are only two explanation for this (and please don't restart the incorrect energy discussion again).
1. I'm pulling harder than the 38 in the initial pitch up maneuver and bleeding off more speed than the 38
2. I'm mis-judging the distance I am behind the 38, and while I initially close the gap, I do not get close enough for kill before we enter the stall region where the 38 departs later and hence does extend away (or more correctly I fall away from the 38)  
3. P-38 are the Agent Smith of the Aces High Matrix.

I strongly suspect 1. and 2. are the real answers. But nagging at me is that so many in the MA seem to screw the pooch the same way I do when chasing 38 pilots. VonMessa had a theory the the size of 38 makes chasing pilots mis-judge there distance and speed, which combined with their better departure characteristics in the stall region provide the entire explanation.

I can learn a lot from watching it done correctly and incorrectly on film, instead of padding Lazerr's stats by figuring it out the hard way in the MA.  :D

Who is John Galt?

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #458 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:55 AM »
is that some kind of fear response to the thought of loosing your video game entitlement?

He's laughing at you as most of us are.

Go ahead and rattle more it is entertaining.
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #459 on: September 29, 2009, 09:11:58 AM »
Hey Vink have you tried flying the 38 yet? The suggestion earlier for you to try the 38J was probably a good idea. Try the level with wep and the climb. See how stable it is at slow speeds. You might note something you won't see in the films. <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #460 on: September 29, 2009, 09:20:51 AM »
Vink, check your PM's.

Hope they explain the 38 a bit more to ya.  :aok

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #461 on: September 29, 2009, 09:26:21 AM »
Cap1 thanks for the taking the time, to film it, and describe it in such detail. I will watch later. I'm at work now.

Also i would like to clear up one big mis-understanding...

I do realize that the 38 departs later and possibly not at all if flown correctly. But I'm talking about chasing a P38 at nearly similar speed in level flight and he pulls vertical and I pull up after him. In the initial part of the manuever, well before the onset of stall for either plane, the P-38 seems to extend away as though it were losing speed slower. There are only two explanation for this (and please don't restart the incorrect energy discussion again).
1. I'm pulling harder than the 38 in the initial pitch up maneuver and bleeding off more speed than the 38
2. I'm mis-judging the distance I am behind the 38, and while I initially close the gap, I do not get close enough for kill before we enter the stall region where the 38 departs later and hence does extend away (or more correctly I fall away from the 38)  
3. P-38 are the Agent Smith of the Aces High Matrix.

I strongly suspect 1. and 2. are the real answers. But nagging at me is that so many in the MA seem to screw the pooch the same way I do when chasing 38 pilots. VonMessa had a theory the the size of 38 makes chasing pilots mis-judge there distance and speed, which combined with their better departure characteristics in the stall region provide the entire explanation.

I can learn a lot from watching it done correctly and incorrectly on film, instead of padding Lazerr's stats by figuring it out the hard way in the MA.  :D

THE 2 BEST THINGS TO DO to learn what's happening, is to film all of your fights. you can watch the fight from the other pile-its view too. you can also see all aircraft speeds in the sidebar, and watch how they compare.

the other thing, is to fly her. get a feel for her. you might not wanna go back to those kiddie planes.  :D :noid that have only one engine.

seriously though....i hope that my film does more than bore the crap outta ya, as it's not a knock down dirty dogfight.

remember.,.....watch from the zeek's view, as well as mine, and you'll see a lot of what happens there.

:aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #462 on: September 29, 2009, 09:29:42 AM »
Is there a big difference between the P-38L and the 38J? I see many that prefer the J. I will fly the 38 mostly carrying ord in attack mode, not confident in it for a dog fight.  :(
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #463 on: September 29, 2009, 09:48:54 AM »
Is there a big difference between the P-38L and the 38J? I see many that prefer the J. I will fly the 38 mostly carrying ord in attack mode, not confident in it for a dog fight.  :(

i've not flown the "L" in combat. i'm told it's pretty much the same as the "J", except tht higher speeds, it has a better roll rate, thanks to hydraulically boosted ailerons, and of course it has the <dare i say it?> dive recovery flaps, to assist you should you get yourself into compression.

cap likes his 38J, and has been learning, that although it is less powerful, the 38G can be deadly in turnfights.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #464 on: September 29, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
Hey Vink have you tried flying the 38 yet? The suggestion earlier for you to try the 38J was probably a good idea. Try the level with wep and the climb. See how stable it is at slow speeds. You might note something you won't see in the films. <S>

Roger Shuffler I do need to spend more time in this plane. It really seems like has many more dimensions to it than the single engine fighters. I ust need to mentally get ready to flop around like fool for a while until I figure it out. So hard to go backwards ;)
Who is John Galt?