Author Topic: Bet with a teacher  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Bet with a teacher
« on: September 29, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »
Alright, well, here is the backstory:

My English teacher was trying to show a video one day of something or other (I wasn't paying attention) but the site it was on had recently been added to the list blocked by proxy. After a lovely discussion on it, I told him I am sure I could find a way on the internet to get past the proxy (He is not the only teacher to get screwed by the proxy blocking legitimate educational material). So he bet me a "floating A", (I could pick one assignment excluding a test and get an automatic A on it) or a floating F that I wouldn't be able to find a way past the proxy. So, after scouring the internet and getting stopped just before any answer by the proxy, I come to you all. Anyone know a way past a proxy?

Also, slipping past proxies isn't illegal, is it?

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: Bet with a teacher
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 06:04:37 PM »

My English teacher was trying to show a video one day of something or other (I wasn't paying attention) but the site it was on had recently been added to the list blocked by proxy. After a lovely discussion on it, I told him I am sure I could find a way on the internet to get past the proxy (He is not the only teacher to get screwed by the proxy blocking legitimate educational material). So he bet me a "floating A", (I could pick one assignment excluding a test and get an automatic A on it) or a floating F that I wouldn't be able to find a way past the proxy. So, after scouring the internet and getting stopped just before any answer by the proxy, I come to you all. Anyone know a way past a proxy?

Depends on their firewall.

A decent firewall will stop proxies, anonymizers, and tunnellers. Usually going through each of these gets the IT peoples attention and they'll come after you with a big stick.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 06:07:02 PM »
Just blame your teacher.

My friend hacked into the Howard County Community College proxie and server.
Strokes

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:23:11 PM »
I know how but I think it would be funny for you to get the floating "F" so I'm not going to share how.  Hopefully this will teach you the valuable lesson of never volunteer to resolve a problem you don't have the solution to before hand.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 06:25:35 PM »
I know how but I think it would be funny for you to get the floating "F" so I'm not going to share how.
ack-ack

:D

inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
Ive got it baaaaaaaad SOOOOOOOOOOOO baaaaaaaaaad, Im hot for teacher!

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 06:43:45 PM »
I know how but I think it would be funny for you to get the floating "F" so I'm not going to share how.  Hopefully this will teach you the valuable lesson of never volunteer to resolve a problem you don't have the solution to before hand.

ack-ack
My first thought.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 06:51:53 PM »

Google on how to. Hell, youtube it. I'm sure they've got a way to show you how to.
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 07:14:20 PM »
What, exactly, was the bet?

If it's "I can find on the internet instructions to get past a proxy, " pick a site, any site, which claims to do so.

That's all you agreed to do. You didn't agree to actually *get past* the firewall, as that will clearly get you into trouble.

Of  course, if you *did* actually agree to get past the proxy, you're screwed either way; an F in whatever or the systems heavies coming down on you with their sticks.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline Golfer

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 07:34:22 PM »
That's a really dumb thing to bet.  Not only do you display poor judgement but you're going to post on a public board asking for help to do something you're not supposed to do?  I'll be amazed if you survive two semesters at any military academy.  Amazed.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:47 PM »
download the vid onto a usb flash drive at home, bring it in.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 07:45:12 PM »
 You lost and you should have to pay up. Simple deal and no solution needed. You should just pay up, imo.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 07:49:18 PM »
If your school is using a properly set up Citrix, I have got nothing.

If not, you can ping the site from the command line and then use the IP Address that is returned to go to the site. I would use this method to get past the firewalls in middle school, but now in high school, it has become too easy. We open up the Citrix Virtual Desktop on our school computers and the firewall disappears. Facebook, YouTube, and Gmail become available.
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Phaser11

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 07:57:23 PM »
pass
Phaser11,

"Long time we no get drunk together nathen"
"Silence! I kill you"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 08:07:04 PM »
Just for not coming to me with your computer issues, I'ma let you float on this one too. :D It's sad that you don't see the obvious answer, too.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.