Author Topic: Could AvA be revived...........  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Could AvA be revived...........
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2009, 12:45:36 PM »
Let me give you an example, lets look at a conceivable abbreviated set for MW ETO. Allies: SpitIX, P-47D-11 Axis: 109-G2, Fw-190 A5.

Because the AvA will essentially be low alt 1v1s or 2v2s most of the time, the latter planes will get short shrift in usage most of the time. P-47D-11 vs. 109G2 1v1 at low alts with competent pilots is just not very amusing in AHII, nor is 190A vs. SpitIX. One might as well just limit the set to 109s and Spits (which would be at least a slight imbalance in favor of the Allies anyway) or maybe just P-47D-11 vs. 190s (which would be more balanced, but still not quite). BTW, balance in terms of dogfighting performance for player fun vrs. putting what planes were historically actually there in the set will ALWAYS be a daunting problem for AvA when numbers are this low.

The real reason why you wouldn't see many P-47s or 190A's in that setup is because the AvA regulars insult and sneer when either of those aircraft are flown hit and run style, as they were designed to be, and in the same direction as all WW2 fighter evolution.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2009, 01:01:52 PM »
The real reason why you wouldn't see many P-47s or 190A's in that setup is because the AvA regulars insult and sneer when either of those aircraft are flown hit and run style, as they were designed to be, and in the same direction as all WW2 fighter evolution.

I didn't want to go there...

Hit and run is kind of boring and innefective when its just you and one other guy in the arena anyway.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #47 on: October 05, 2009, 01:36:10 PM »
I didn't want to go there...

Agreed, we've made 4 pages in an AVA thread managing to keep it fairly civil. One problem we've had the past few years is constantly ripping off the same old scab.
No matter what idea brings more people into the arena, it's going to take CT/AVA oldtimers myself included to put away old feuds and just fly the damn sim. It's going to take putting the health of the arena above ego and grudges. Hostility has been what's kept this arena empty not limited planesets or icons. I'm not naive enough to think problems or conflicts will not erupt. I am hopeful though that people will be mindful that the crap isn't as important as having a healthy AVA and having an option other than the Main Arenas. If enough people will stay positive and refrain from the slinging of feces in time those that live for just that will be irrelevant to the arena. No matter who they are or what side of the old feud they come from. Nobody involved in it has clean hands myself included. Historic Matchups have their place in AH. All you have to do is look at the popularity of Special Events. FSOs, Scenarios, Snap Shots, and Sunday European Campaigns are all getting bigger an more popular. There's no reason an arena based on WWII historical aircraft matchups should be empty constantly. BS and finger pointing have killed this arena. I'd like to see it replaced with flying and fighting personally. I know I've made similar post in the past and similar attempts to assist in repopulating the CT/AVA. Each and everytime though when the scab itched I ripped it. I'll do my best this time to let the damn thing fall off on it's own. I'm more interested in a healthy arena than I am of who thinks who is a dweeb, tardlette, skill less, timid, or a mouthy jerk. It's just not that important and if we can refrain from indulging in it in time we can keep it from wrecking the place.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:04:04 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #48 on: October 05, 2009, 02:05:31 PM »
Agreed, we've made 4 pages in an AVA thread managing to keep it fairly civil. One problem we've had the past few years is constantly ripping off the same old scab.
No matter what idea brings more people into the arena, it's going to take CT/AVA oldtimers myself included to put away old feuds and just fly the damn sim. It's going to take putting the health of the arena above ego and grudges. Hostility has been what's kept this arena empty not limited planesets or icons. I'm not naive enough to think problems or conflicts will not erupt. I am hopeful though that people will be mindful that the crap isn't as important as having a healthy AVA and having an option other than the Main Arenas. If enough people will stay positive and refrain from the slinging of feces in time those that live for just that will be irrelevant to the arena. No matter who they are or what side of the old feud they come from. Nobody involved in it has clean hands myself included. Historic Matchups have their place in AH. All you have to do is look at the popularity of Special Events. FSOs, Scenarios, Snap Shots, and Sunday European Campaigns are all getting bigger an more popular. There's no reason an arena based on WWII historical aircraft matchups should be empty constantly. BS and finger pointing have killed this arena. I'd like to see it replaced with flying and fighting personally. I know I've made similar post in the past and similar attempts to assist in repopulating the CT/AVA. Each and everytime though when the scab itched I ripped it. I'll do my best this time to let the damn thing fall off on it's own. I'm more interested in a healthy arena than I am of who thinks who is a dweeb, tardlette, skill less, or timid, or a mouthy jerk. It's just not that important and if we can refrain from indulging in it in time we can keep it from wrecking the place.

Truthful and Accurate ........ everyone new & old should try and make the AvsA as sucessful as the FSO's, Snapshots etc..... more fun for everyone....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 02:07:34 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #49 on: October 05, 2009, 02:06:10 PM »
There's no reason an arena based on WWII historical aircraft matchups should be empty constantly. BS and finger pointing have killed this arena.

QFT!

I'm more interested in a healthy arena than I am of who thinks who is a dweeb, tardlette, skill less, or timid.
 :aok

:salute

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2009, 02:44:37 PM »
great theories guys, but how many of you have actually flown in the AVA in the last..... oh say, month?? I'm in there with Oldman almost every night. How about just coming in and joining the party. Bring new guys with you! Lets get this party started! :aok

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2009, 03:08:23 PM »
Hey TequilaChaser  what nights or days are you in the Training Arena?

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
No matter what idea brings more people into the arena, it's going to take CT/AVA oldtimers myself included to put away old feuds and just fly the damn sim. It's going to take putting the health of the arena above ego and grudges. Hostility has been what's kept this arena empty not limited planesets or icons. I'm not naive enough to think problems or conflicts will not erupt. I am hopeful though that people will be mindful that the crap isn't as important as having a healthy AVA and having an option other than the Main Arenas. If enough people will stay positive and refrain from the slinging of feces in time those that live for just that will be irrelevant to the arena. No matter who they are or what side of the old feud they come from. Nobody involved in it has clean hands myself included. Historic Matchups have their place in AH. All you have to do is look at the popularity of Special Events. FSOs, Scenarios, Snap Shots, and Sunday European Campaigns are all getting bigger an more popular. There's no reason an arena based on WWII historical aircraft matchups should be empty constantly. BS and finger pointing have killed this arena. I'd like to see it replaced with flying and fighting personally. I know I've made similar post in the past and similar attempts to assist in repopulating the CT/AVA. Each and everytime though when the scab itched I ripped it. I'll do my best this time to let the damn thing fall off on it's own. I'm more interested in a healthy arena than I am of who thinks who is a dweeb, tardlette, skill less, timid, or a mouthy jerk. It's just not that important and if we can refrain from indulging in it in time we can keep it from wrecking the place.

:aok
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Wolfie

• Copper Member
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2009, 03:53:32 PM »
great theories guys, but how many of you have actually flown in the AVA in the last..... oh say, month?? 
Can't imagine why some have not. :rolleyes:
But I'm willing to give it another try though if that is what the squad decides to do.

:salute

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: October 05, 2009, 04:24:28 PM »

Most excellent post, thank you Shifty.

- oldman

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #55 on: October 05, 2009, 05:23:30 PM »
Although your delivery comes close to making that old scab itch... ;)
I agree with the meat of your message. :aok

Lets get this party started! :aok

Check your PMs.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #56 on: October 05, 2009, 06:21:24 PM »
and dont forget about your friends accross the pond :) we could try and get some mid day action on the weekends that would enable people from GMT & CET time zones to join in...Ill bring some tea :)
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org