Author Topic: Could AvA be revived...........  (Read 2751 times)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
Re: Could AvA be revived...........
« Reply #30 on: October 04, 2009, 08:47:29 AM »
To be frank, I don't see too many CM's in AH that have the maturity or patience...

I've defended you in the past, but you sound like an a-hole here. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #31 on: October 04, 2009, 12:40:41 PM »
C'mon...  It's dawger.  :rolleyes:

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: October 04, 2009, 02:39:35 PM »
C'mon...  It's dawger.

Ah.  I thought it was Christ, coming to cleanse the chapel.

- oldman

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: October 04, 2009, 03:51:46 PM »
People hate fighting airborne AI.

Good thing you speak for everyone because until you made that comment I thought I liked fighting AI. I guess I was wrong then huh.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Dinan

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2009, 04:06:51 PM »
Ah.  I thought it was Christ, coming to cleanse the chapel.

- oldman

:rofl

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2009, 07:38:41 PM »
Most of the AH events I've participated the CM was late (Excepting FSO...those guys run a tight ship)

Yes, I'm an utter and compleat bastard because I speak the truth.

Last AvA event I flew in I saw the CM flying 10,000 feet above the altitude cap posted in the rules.

Leadership by example.

So call me all the names you like but police your own backyard.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2009, 09:11:11 PM »
Leadership by example.

An excellent point.  I have found that unless one possesses great power, it's usually most productive to help by being pleasant and cooperative, rather than by making fun of people.

That's if one wants to help, of course.  If a person simply enjoys criticizing others, then he perhaps should expect to receive the same sort of treatment he's dishing out.

- oldman

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2009, 09:18:42 PM »
Last AvA event I flew in I saw the CM flying 10,000 feet above the altitude cap posted in the rules.

was that particular CM an AvsA Staffer or a actual AH CM Staff member (notice that both are VOLUNTEER STAFF )

if it was an AH Hosted event and runned by CM's then I would say the CM could do pretty much any dang thing they please, as long as they was not actually flying for either side and engaging......if they was flying & POLICE-ing the arena no harm no foul........

if it was an AvsA hosted event by the AvsA Staffers, then it would fall under the same as above...........

but just coming on here and saying such stuff is wrong in everyway....especially for scheduled AH Events........ you should always take it to the correct people in a private manner and let it be handled properly........you of all people, Dawger, should understand this basic well known rule, for you have been a Vol. Staffer ( Trainer ) in a flight sim before.......

as you said "Leadership by example"........and if you gonna make a statement post a film to back yourself up when you email the CM's or AvsA Staffers....

my take on it anyhows.....
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »
I think the areana could be revived, if some guys dedicated themselves to being there regularly, and by some guys, I mean a handful of medium sized squads.  Then, after a brief time period, say a few weeks, when the general population saw 29 -49 guys playing in the AvA every night, when logging on instead of 0 - 5, then it could grow from there.  The hook being, those some guys who bite the bullet, sitting in the tower waiting for people to show up, fighting out the first month or so's fights against only eachother, etc...etc... need to share a common cause, and act accordingly...in this case, the revival of the Arena.  Anything short of that will fail.

- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2009, 11:34:25 PM »
Quote from: Dawger
Most of the AH events I've participated the CM was late (Excepting FSO...those guys run a tight ship)

Yes, I'm an utter and compleat bastard because I speak the truth.

Leadership by example.

So call me all the names you like but police your own backyard.

CMs run regularly scheduled events in the SEA arenas and they're rarely late, usually out trying to drum up interest in the MAs before an event etc.

The AvA Staff is a separate body of volunteers, and are only obligated to setup their arena once a week and pop into to make corrections when things go wrong.

Any event you've seen in the AvA is usually scheduled by AvA players who are usually NOT staff, so you can question your own pedigree if you wish, :D but you might want to do a little more study of the situation in arena staffing as well.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2009, 06:14:07 AM »
I think the areana could be revived, if some guys dedicated themselves to being there regularly, and by some guys, I mean a handful of medium sized squads.  Then, after a brief time period, say a few weeks, when the general population saw 29 -49 guys playing in the AvA every night, when logging on instead of 0 - 5, then it could grow from there.  The hook being, those some guys who bite the bullet, sitting in the tower waiting for people to show up, fighting out the first month or so's fights against only eachother, etc...etc... need to share a common cause, and act accordingly...in this case, the revival of the Arena.  Anything short of that will fail.

+1

The plan is that simple.  It is just the implementation that has proven impossible, time and time again...  :frown:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 06:16:05 AM by TheBug »
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:39 AM »
Jimson,

I believe if AVA could be taken off life support with a couple of dedicated squads getting the ball rolling. It would help attract other players to the arena. Once you had a healthy AVA community even if it was small... I believe you'd then see the arena dynamics provide pretty much what your looking for without missions being designed or assigned by CMs. Way back in Tour 1 there were enough people flying to where historical type missions popped up on their own. You didn't need schedules or forced missions.

YMMV
If you could get a decent start with say just twenty a night it would gradually build IMO. You've got to get a start though and it has to stick. The only way that's going to happen is to get people commited to making it happen and cooperating above all else.
CMs run regularly scheduled events in the SEA arenas and they're rarely late, usually out trying to drum up interest in the MAs before an event etc.

The AvA Staff is a separate body of volunteers, and are only obligated to setup their arena once a week and pop into to make corrections when things go wrong.

Any event you've seen in the AvA is usually scheduled by AvA players who are usually NOT staff, so you can question your own pedigree if you wish, :D but you might want to do a little more study of the situation in arena staffing as well.
I think the areana could be revived, if some guys dedicated themselves to being there regularly, and by some guys, I mean a handful of medium sized squads.  Then, after a brief time period, say a few weeks, when the general population saw 29 -49 guys playing in the AvA every night, when logging on instead of 0 - 5, then it could grow from there.  The hook being, those some guys who bite the bullet, sitting in the tower waiting for people to show up, fighting out the first month or so's fights against only eachother, etc...etc... need to share a common cause, and act accordingly...in this case, the revival of the Arena.  Anything short of that will fail.

The consensus seems to be that it is up to the players to get something restarted in AVA. This has been tried before but may be worth trying again.

This thread has gotten fragmented between a couple of different ideas.

I know some longtime vets can be a bit derisive of relative newcomers on the board but I consider this exchange of ideas to be an enjoyable part of the game experience.

I started this mess, so whether I get flamed or not I'm going to do a couple of different things.

First I am suggesting that anyone wishing to continue discussing an automated scenario arena concept, move to this thread. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,274933.0.html

Anyone who would like to see the revival of a daytime CM sponsored snapshot event, post in this thread.
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,275212.0.html

I am also starting a new thread dedicated to ideas on increasing play in AVA, because if that happens, as shifty suggested it may turn out to be close to what I am looking for.

What's the alternative? let AVA sit empty day after day until HTC decides it's not worth keeping up?

New thread "Saving AVA"
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 01:14:27 PM by jimson »

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2009, 11:40:28 AM »
Press on Jimson.  :aok

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2009, 12:23:33 PM »
Here's the problem with AvA:

The very low numbers mean the only way to really proceed is to basically use it as DA. That means the two best "duelling" planes out of each given set get upped for duelling style encounters, and other planes and flying styles gets short shrift. This can only hold many player's attention for so long.

Let me give you an example, lets look at a conceivable abbreviated set for MW ETO. Allies: SpitIX, P-47D-11 Axis: 109-G2, Fw-190 A5.

Because the AvA will essentially be low alt 1v1s or 2v2s most of the time, the latter planes will get short shrift in usage most of the time. P-47D-11 vs. 109G2 1v1 at low alts with competent pilots is just not very amusing in AHII, nor is 190A vs. SpitIX. One might as well just limit the set to 109s and Spits (which would be at least a slight imbalance in favor of the Allies anyway) or maybe just P-47D-11 vs. 190s (which would be more balanced, but still not quite). BTW, balance in terms of dogfighting performance for player fun vrs. putting what planes were historically actually there in the set will ALWAYS be a daunting problem for AvA when numbers are this low.

To give each and every plane its place, and to give that historical feeling that alot of players want out of the AvA, you need more numbers and more historical engaging conditions. For instance, when engaging in squadron numbers at 25,000 feet, P-47D-11 vs. 109 G-2 is suddenly alot more interesting and sporting. 190s suddenly make more sense with more altitude and more numbers, especially if there are bombers to be shot down. I hope what I'm getting at makes sense.

How to accomplish these things, I dunno. Maybe Jimson's idea is the way to go.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2009, 12:31:58 PM »
when was the last AH hosted event in the AVA?