Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 5972 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #90 on: October 02, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »
Geez fella, when the numbers are unbalanced enough for ENY to be in effect, it is rather debatable whether the putative better planes for the low-numbers side really balances the raw numerical superiority.

You think the guys who switch to the low number side and fly to large red Dar bars are being "selfish" in a game that is supposed to be about *combat*??? Ooooooookaaaaaaaaaaay.

I'm going to make the statement which admittedly is hard to prove but I think is truthful.

The two predominant styles of play in the LW arena are furballing (primarily focused on air to air kills) and territory capture (capture fields, etc.).

Side switchers are primarily furballers looking for easy kills. They are not invested in the territorial game (think about it! why would anyone work hard to take bases to switch sides?) So they actually play the game of temporarily playing off the two other countries to rack up their own personal scores. They generally gather around any concentration of combatants, which will be mostly people earnestly working on taking a base, upping in the perked or low ENY planes going against high ENY planes, giving themselves every advantage. So I don't know that they do anyone a favor except themselves. 

This seems to defeat the purpose of the ground game which necessarily is based on concentration of force at the right weak points. These weak points will disappear if they are mobbed by a bunch of score hounds.

So again, I'm having a hard time seeing how easy side switching is good :).
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #91 on: October 02, 2009, 07:24:48 PM »
I'm going to make the statement which admittedly is hard to prove but I think is truthful.

The two predominant styles of play in the LW arena are furballing (primarily focused on air to air kills) and territory capture (capture fields, etc.).

Side switchers are primarily furballers looking for easy kills. They are not invested in the territorial game (think about it! why would anyone work hard to take bases to switch sides?) So they actually play the game of temporarily playing off the two other countries to rack up their own personal scores. They generally gather around any concentration of combatants, which will be mostly people earnestly working on taking a base, upping in the perked or low ENY planes going against high ENY planes, giving themselves every advantage. So I don't know that they do anyone a favor except themselves.  

This seems to defeat the purpose of the ground game which necessarily is based on concentration of force at the right weak points. These weak points will disappear if they are mobbed by a bunch of score hounds.

So again, I'm having a hard time seeing how easy side switching is good :).

You are so off target that you just hit some poor Martian in the ass.  Most of us that switch do so to help even out the numbers, I don't know about you but it's really not fun flying on a side that outnumbers the others by a hefty margin and the fight suffer as a result of such an unbalance.  So we switch to help even out the sides and to find a fight.  It has nothing do with switching so we can 'pad our scores by flying uber planes' or other such nonsense or to give ourselves every advantage.  If you look at those of us that switch sides frequently, you'll see we're really not affected by the ENY if we didn't switch.  Why is that?  Because most of us don't fly the late war uber planes.  There are some of us that don't need the crutch of low ENY or uber late war planes, we're just looking for a good fight is all.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 07:28:41 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #92 on: October 02, 2009, 07:32:09 PM »
If I switch sides I do so to a side on which I can find a good fight, not because of ENY as my most common rides aren't usually affect.  Less so no given they were just raised from 15 to 20 and from 25 to 30.  Being on the high numbers side is boring.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #93 on: October 02, 2009, 08:21:01 PM »

Akak and karnack +1
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2009, 08:47:43 PM »
I know that 75% of the planes in the LW arenas aren't Punkstangs.

It just appears that way.

Its merely an illusion. :noid

But doesn't the 51 count for the most kills AND the most killed in?

By alot?

i rarely fly lw. i'm starting to come there more, so i can fly with more of my SAPP friends.

i spent an hour or so in lwo(i think) last night. it had the map with the big island in the middle...with tanktown in the middle of that island. that's also where it seemed that the majority of the air battles were.

i flew my 38J o doom on every run. the majority of what i saw there, was spits, some la's(i don't know what series of either), a bunch of 190's. there was a 262, but he seemed only intent on staying above 15k, and only flew through the area twice.
 there was a brewster down low, who kept trying to drag cons over v2, which was laden with about 10 anti-aircraft gv's.

i only scored 2 kills, a 190, and a spit9.

my point? in all of that mess of cartoon combat, i didn't see a single mustang.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2009, 09:01:40 PM »
But doesn't the 51 count for the most kills AND the most killed in?

By alot?

Yes, it's leading the competition. P-51D has usually about 7.5% of all plane (kills+deaths), Spit 16 about 6.5%
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #96 on: October 02, 2009, 10:26:26 PM »

Yes, it's leading the competition. P-51D has usually about 7.5% of all plane (kills+deaths), Spit 16 about 6.5%

Yup--I believe that nothing else in the game (excluding Gvs) even comes remotely close statisticly to those 2 planes.

I can't remember what the next plane down would be , but I'm bettin its about half or less than the 51 and 16.

Perk em both, they're a pox on the game! :D

Like freekin locusts. :O
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2009, 01:29:23 AM »
KI84 a 20! what? KI84 should be the same as the spit8, in a fight they are neck and neck. A hog has a hard fight vs a ki84 so why is a hog a lower eny? I consider the ki84 one of the most deadly planes in the game, great climb, great turn, Great roll, Great Wep, good speed, good guns, dive sucks but that is it. Dive sucks on the p38l but its a 15, in every other aspect ki out preforms the 38L and Hogs.

Skyhawk
what about payload guy.......and high alt preformance........guns arent good further then 400........very poor handling at high speed.........not good at taking damage.......just a few reasons ill give you as a person who flys the KI84 as a main ride

Oh and if it is so ubber why dont you see many flying around? last time i saw a enemy KI was atleast 4 days ago
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2009, 04:18:50 AM »
what about payload guy.......and high alt preformance........guns arent good further then 400........very poor handling at high speed.........not good at taking damage.......just a few reasons ill give you as a person who flys the KI84 as a main ride

Oh and if it is so ubber why dont you see many flying around? last time i saw a enemy KI was atleast 4 days ago

It's pretty close to uber junky, I used to fly it exclusively.  Let me go through the points you just made if you don't mind.

Payload: moot point since it is a pure fighter. Spit16, Spit14,La7, N1k all have poor payloads as well but it's irrelevant. (I'm assuming you meant ordnance carrying capacity)

High Alt performance: True, it isn't very good above 20k, but what percentage of your engagements occur at 20k+... Less than 1%? Again, moot point.

Guns Aren't Good Further than 400 Out: I Lol'd when I read this because the only guns that are good further than 400 out are 50 cals and hispanos.  I can't hit anything in the Ta152 or Me262 further than 300yds out but they have some of the most lethal guns in the game.  Who wants to be firing and recording kills 400+ out anyways?  99% of my kills are had within 200yds.

Not Good at Taking Damage: I always thought it was at least average at taking damage TBH but I have no evidence to back up my feeling.

Poor Handling at High Speeds
: This is the only reason you listed that is a valid handicap of the aircraft.  But how much of a handicap is it really?  So you can't go nose down and chase enemies who dive to the deck, this isn't really that big of a deal. Staying high, using the absurd climb rate, and killing the slow planes climbing up to you stalling out is where the kills are.  Not chasing down P51Ds going 500+ on the deck.  The only other handicap you failed to mention was its deck speed which honestly isn't a big deal since it climbs so well.  Why try to outrun an enemy when you can just outclimb him?

As far as 1v1's go, it pretty much dominates every single LW aircraft in the game except for the uber spits.  So lets go through the checklist.  Great guns, lots of ammo, incredible climb rate, incredible turn rate, incredible stability, incredible endurance.  Would I call the Ki84 "uber"?  I just might.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:04:59 AM by grizz441 »

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: October 03, 2009, 06:44:55 AM »
It's pretty close to uber junky, I used to fly it exclusively.  Let me go through the points you just made if you don't mind.

Payload: moot point since it is a pure fighter. Spit16, Spit14,La7, N1k all have poor payloads as well but it's irrelevant. (I'm assuming you meant ordnance carrying capacity)

The Spit16 and N1K have very decent payloads.  Both can carry ~1000lbs of ordnance.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #100 on: October 03, 2009, 07:00:11 AM »
The Spit16 and N1K have very decent payloads.  Both can carry ~1000lbs of ordnance.

They aren't used for their ordnance though.  If the purpose of an aircraft is to shoot down other airplanes, it's a moot point what kind of ordnance they can carry.  That was the point I was making but thanks for correcting me.  :)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: October 03, 2009, 07:07:55 AM »
They aren't used for their ordnance though.  If the purpose of an aircraft is to shoot down other airplanes, it's a moot point what kind of ordnance they can carry.  That was the point I was making but thanks for correcting me.  :)

I have used the N1K for its ordnance in the past, and it's a NOE-horde favorite because of its ordnance/dogfighting flexibility.  I've also seen people whine like crazy when a SpitXVI drops a bomb on the their GV. :lol
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline batch

• Nickel Member
« Reply #102 on: October 03, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »
Yup--I believe that nothing else in the game (excluding Gvs) even comes remotely close statisticly to those 2 planes.

I can't remember what the next plane down would be , but I'm bettin its about half or less than the 51 and 16.

Perk em both, they're a pox on the game! :D

Like freekin locusts. :O

invalid argumnet............ 163 near the bottom of the kills list......... should we UNperk it and give it ENY 40 make it available at every base?
"theres nothin like wakin up with a Dickens Cider" - Dickens Fruit Stand

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #103 on: October 03, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »
You are so off target that you just hit some poor Martian in the ass.  Most of us that switch do so to help even out the numbers, I don't know about you but it's really not fun flying on a side that outnumbers the others by a hefty margin and the fight suffer as a result of such an unbalance.  So we switch to help even out the sides and to find a fight.  It has nothing do with switching so we can 'pad our scores by flying uber planes' or other such nonsense or to give ourselves every advantage.  If you look at those of us that switch sides frequently, you'll see we're really not affected by the ENY if we didn't switch.  Why is that?  Because most of us don't fly the late war uber planes.  There are some of us that don't need the crutch of low ENY or uber late war planes, we're just looking for a good fight is all.

ack-ack

So you're saying that most people that switch sides don't fly planes they couldn't get on the high number side? Perhaps you represent a minority of the side switchers? 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 03, 2009, 08:46:05 AM »
So you're saying that most people that switch sides don't fly planes they couldn't get on the high number side? Perhaps you represent a minority of the side switchers? 

In my experience, most habitual side-switchers switch because they do not like being one of five "greens" chasing the sole enemy con in a sector, and not because they can't fly "their" plane. Only a few of them have a low-ENY plane as their main ride anyway.

Perosnally, I do enjoy cheap perk rides and huge perk modifiers, but like many of us, I'm way past the point that ENY is limiting me in any way. ENY 0 or 29, there's always a plane wotong for me in the hangar, as long as I have targets too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman