Author Topic: Updated ENY values for Planes  (Read 6047 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Updated ENY values for Planes
« Reply #105 on: October 03, 2009, 09:09:01 AM »
In my experience, most habitual side-switchers switch because they do not like being one of five "greens" chasing the sole enemy con in a sector, and not because they can't fly "their" plane. Only a few of them have a low-ENY plane as their main ride anyway.

Agreed.

- oldman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: October 03, 2009, 09:15:25 AM »
Nah, P-51 is a terrible plane for noobs. Doesn't turn well, not forgiving, doesn't have a cannon, does the run like hell thing but is not the fastest and it takes time to accelerate up to top speed. You can pick practically any ENY 10 or lower plane out of your hat and it will be easier for a nooby.

rofl what rubbish! 51 is easy to fly, get kills in and go home to land. name any >10eny plane that can take the same ords 3 sectors to a field, drop said ords and have enough fuel, ammo and dogfighting capability to stay for another 30 mins killing at will...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #107 on: October 03, 2009, 09:55:38 AM »
In my experience, most habitual side-switchers switch because they do not like being one of five "greens" chasing the sole enemy con in a sector, and not because they can't fly "their" plane. Only a few of them have a low-ENY plane as their main ride anyway.

Perosnally, I do enjoy cheap perk rides and huge perk modifiers, but like many of us, I'm way past the point that ENY is limiting me in any way. ENY 0 or 29, there's always a plane wotong for me in the hangar, as long as I have targets too.

I don't doubt it Lusche.  I don't switch simply because my squad doesn't switch. My point with Ack-ack was that he may represent the exception since I don't see a lot of altruistic behavior in the majority of the AH population. Also it's hard to take people's altruism seriously when they disparage a preferred plane choice as a crutch. I don't have the numbers to break it down so I'm just asking. I expect most of us have seen people switch sides and grab perk or low ENY planes. I have been on the high number side in and ganged by people on the low number side because, as you know, arena numbers don't dictate numbers in a local fight, they just affect plane choices.

Your point regarding more targets to shoot at seems a more likely explanation.  :D

The ENY adjustments seem reasonable to me except the LA-7. Time will tell and I'm sure we'll continue to see adjustments in the future.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #108 on: October 03, 2009, 11:41:28 AM »
invalid argumnet............ 163 near the bottom of the kills list......... should we UNperk it and give it ENY 40 make it available at every base?

I agree.  The ENY scores should be applied based on the ability of the aircraft and not some statistics that can be made to self serve the author.

btw... I still think the 109K-4 earned a "better" ENY, 20 is too high.  Maybe an 18 or 15?   :aok
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #109 on: October 03, 2009, 12:25:28 PM »
So you're saying that most people that switch sides don't fly planes they couldn't get on the high number side? Perhaps you represent a minority of the side switchers? 

No, I'm not in the minority.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #110 on: October 03, 2009, 12:31:15 PM »
rofl what rubbish! 51 is easy to fly, get kills in and go home to land. name any >10eny plane that can take the same ords 3 sectors to a field, drop said ords and have enough fuel, ammo and dogfighting capability to stay for another 30 mins killing at will...

Name another 5 eny plane that turns worse than 90% of the set, climbs and accelerates poorly, does not possess a cannon, and is out-run by multiple unperked rides. The thing that makes a ride easy for a nooby (or an old salt for that matter) are primarily turn, firepower, and speed, in that order. (Speed doesn't let a nooby do anything but run away without the first two.) The P-51D possesses only the latter, and its poor t/w ratio *severely* hampers what would otherwise seem like a great ability to close and disengage at will. 2009 statistics are not in, but in 2008 the SpitXVI had a better k/d than the P-51D. When an equally popular nooby plane that is about 25mph slower has a better k/d than the P-51, its ease of use as a fighter is highly questionable.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 12:35:47 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #111 on: October 03, 2009, 01:19:13 PM »
I wouldn't say the P-51 climbs poorly.  Here are the Zscores for climbrate.  They show that the P-51D is simply middle of the pack for climbrate, i.e. better than about 50% of the planeset.

And how about roll rate at high speed?

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:21:10 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #112 on: October 03, 2009, 01:29:23 PM »
Oh, and btw, the P-51D's acceleration isn't terrible either:

Or how about dive acceleration?

Best TAS at <10k ft:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
« Reply #113 on: October 03, 2009, 01:32:58 PM »
BnZ, do you realize how much endurance the P51 has? Yes you state some good facts but ultimately if you look at the P51's fuel endurance as well as it's speed and maneuverability you'll understand why it's 5 eny. Just stating.

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #114 on: October 03, 2009, 01:36:38 PM »
Oh, and btw, the P-51D's acceleration isn't terrible either:

(Image removed from quote.)

Or how about dive acceleration?

Best TAS at <10k ft:

Anax,

You really expect many on here to:

A: Know what a Z-score is?
or
B: Know how to interpret those graphs correctly?

I'm pretty impressed you took the time to do them....or rather, you took the time to tell Excel to do them  ;)  Very nice analysis, BTW.  Used Soda's charts for the raws?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 01:39:52 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2009, 02:01:54 PM »
I have used the N1K for its ordnance in the past, and it's a NOE-horde favorite because of its ordnance/dogfighting flexibility.  I've also seen people whine like crazy when a SpitXVI drops a bomb on the their GV. :lol
The Ki-84 carries two 250kg bombs, just like the N1K2-J does.

I agree.  The ENY scores should be applied based on the ability of the aircraft and not some statistics that can be made to self serve the author.
Good luck with that.  What you propose is an impossible task as everybody will disagree as to what weight each performance aspect should be given in the total ability value of a given aircraft, and that is ignoring the fact that many aspects cannot be tracked effectively in numeric form.  Far and away the best, and simplest, method to determine and aircraft's value is to let the market decide.  The market is the player base and the decision is which aircraft they choose to fly.  It is not perfect, but it is far better than any sort of personal bias filled "ability of the aircraft" number that anyone comes up with.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2009, 02:15:36 PM »
5 is fair for a 51D. And glad they upped the N jug to 10  :salute
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:17:47 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2009, 02:22:32 PM »
Anax,

You really expect many on here to:

A: Know what a Z-score is?

Actually, more would know than you might expect because I've posted about Zscores in the past: http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,264759.0.html

B: Know how to interpret those graphs correctly?

I'm pretty impressed you took the time to do them....or rather, you took the time to tell Excel to do them  ;)  Very nice analysis, BTW.  Used Soda's charts for the raws?

Some of the data comes from gonzo's charts, and some I tested myself.  I didn't start from scratch.  A lot of the work had already been done by 442w30, but I added some new categories and tested things that I thought were important, like dive acceleration, turn rate, etc.

Now I just have to get the motivation to finish the B-239 and I-16. :)

FYI, for those who are wondering, here is a nice explanation of what Zscores mean:

...all of these scores are on a curve. The Z-Score curve is a bell curve.  -2.00 = a score that is just over 2% better than all the rest of the POSSIBLE scores. Possible not necessarily meaning exisiting.  -1 = better than just under 16%, 0.00 = right at 50%, 1.00 = better than just over 84%, 2.00 = better than just over 97%. So you see (or maybe not) that the better or worse a score is, the further up the curve it is and in reality the more impressive it is.  

Because of the nature of Z-Scores and the bell curve, a 2.00 in one category is the SAME as a 2.00 in another, or any other like number.  Z-Scores turn apples and oranges comparisons into Apples to apples....
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:28:12 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #118 on: October 03, 2009, 02:30:51 PM »
There's humor in the fact that in the effort to 'defend' the 51D from it's low ENY, BnZ has more or less resorted to trashing the plane. The way he makes it sound makes one wonder just what the hell the Luftwaffe was afraid of in the skies over Europe during 44/45. They must have been a sorry lot of pilots to fare so badly against such a mediocre plane.  :)

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #119 on: October 03, 2009, 02:31:34 PM »
BnZ, do you realize how much endurance the P51 has? Yes you state some good facts but ultimately if you look at the P51's fuel endurance as well as it's speed and maneuverability you'll understand why it's 5 eny. Just stating.

No, no, no! :P  It's 5 ENY because of its popularity.  The rest of this discussion about performance factors is just for the sake of argument.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!