Author Topic: WW1 arena  (Read 8366 times)

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: WW1 arena
« Reply #150 on: October 21, 2009, 07:35:42 AM »
You are spoiled  :P
Most of my online time in AH there is already no arena with more than 150 available

Was thinking the same thing.  Wasn't too many years ago when 150 was a pretty good night in the MA.

Any time you can get 30+ people into an arena you've got no excuse for not having a lot of fun.

- oldman

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #151 on: October 21, 2009, 08:52:16 AM »
im looking forward to a WW1 arena! it will be a refreshing change and hopefully some fun fights. The planes looked interesting and flying the "Fokker on steroid" last saturday night was a hoot!

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: October 21, 2009, 09:05:22 AM »
People start logging on and not finding any fights anywhere with any consistency.... they log off and do something else.

Kind of like now?
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline DOUG

• Copper Member
« Reply #153 on: October 21, 2009, 10:10:22 AM »
COOL, Gunna be like SimGuild's FLYING CIRCUS all over again :rock Grab yer dramamine and airsickbags :x
Anyone else used to fly in FC? :bolt:          elfy
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 10:12:58 AM by DOUG »
"UsedToDoALittleButTheLittleWo uldntDoIt,So the Little gotMore andMore,JustKeepTryingToGet a littleBetterIsaid aLittleBetterThanBefore"...A.Rose
AK elfy-1st ArabianKnight recruited in AH- May 7,2000

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #154 on: October 21, 2009, 10:12:45 AM »
HTC ran survey's asked the community and then made a decision, many of us have been wanting this for along time.
Comparing this to AW is just silly on the face of it, I flew DoA when Dale and Pyro ran it and it was great.  I see this being a GREAT alternative to 262's and 163's and I think it will pull in alot of guys who cannot find a good online WWI game.

Any of you who know Hitech and Pyro know that they usually think things out pretty well before they go into it, I am not saying they are always right but I do think all this pre guessing the results are just plain sour grapes.

Like many of you I have been flying these things since the Sierra Network days and Red Baron, I was in the original "Pig Stompers" as BigJim the same handle I use here in game, I flew AW at 6 bucks an hour on Genie, Warbirds (Confirmed Kill was the first name), AH and AH II so I have been around awhile and I can tell you that flying my DVa in DoA was one of the best times I have ever had in a Flight game.

I have seen what this team can do if they want to so don't be so sure to relegate this one to the dust bin, I got a feeling it will work in spades and won't hurt the WWII flying anymore than any "other" arena has.

CT
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline capera

• Copper Member
« Reply #155 on: October 21, 2009, 10:38:55 AM »
This is going to be a lot of fun.   :aok

Now where did I put my goggles..?   :x

:)

Offline SB

• Administrator
      • http://home.swbell.net/hmason
« Reply #156 on: October 21, 2009, 11:15:41 AM »
CT

Gee Shuffler why does your idea of fun have to make you so negative about what others have fun with. Case in point the 2V2 tourney during the con. I only fly during the con and still took 2nd for the second year in a row so I do have some skills. The MA has no appeal for me but WWI does. I know that doesn't work for you but I'm not squeaking to change how you have your fun. There is an audience for WWI and expanding the plane set in that direction does give HTC some benefit. Putting more WWII planes in that won't get used except for historical scenarios looks to be less attractive to getting new players in than doing WWI right. The number of sorties for each plane type over a campaign would make for some interesting reading.

The new damage modeling system that will be introduced with the WWI plane set will benefit the entire population. Tweaking and refining on the WWI plane set is easier with fewer aircraft than it would be rolling it out to the entire list of WWII planes. If something isn't right with the damage modeling it can be cleaned up and tested quicker and faster. When it's right then it will be rolled out to the WWII plane set. This is no small undertaking and doing it right is important to HTC. I played a bit of DOA and the damage modeling they had there was so superior to the AW way of doing things it was great. Now HTC is refining this even more.

Rational arguments are welcomed. We won't change each others minds is a given and what we argue about doesn't matter one bit to what HTC will do with their game.

SB

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #157 on: October 21, 2009, 11:25:19 AM »
This will bring me to resub for a least a few months.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #158 on: October 21, 2009, 11:35:51 AM »
Gee Shuffler why does your idea of fun have to make you so negative about what others have fun with. Case in point the 2V2 tourney during the con. I only fly during the con and still took 2nd for the second year in a row so I do have some skills. The MA has no appeal for me but WWI does. I know that doesn't work for you but I'm not squeaking to change how you have your fun. There is an audience for WWI and expanding the plane set in that direction does give HTC some benefit. Putting more WWII planes in that won't get used except for historical scenarios looks to be less attractive to getting new players in than doing WWI right. The number of sorties for each plane type over a campaign would make for some interesting reading.

The new damage modeling system that will be introduced with the WWI plane set will benefit the entire population. Tweaking and refining on the WWI plane set is easier with fewer aircraft than it would be rolling it out to the entire list of WWII planes. If something isn't right with the damage modeling it can be cleaned up and tested quicker and faster. When it's right then it will be rolled out to the WWII plane set. This is no small undertaking and doing it right is important to HTC. I played a bit of DOA and the damage modeling they had there was so superior to the AW way of doing things it was great. Now HTC is refining this even more.

Rational arguments are welcomed. We won't change each others minds is a given and what we argue about doesn't matter one bit to what HTC will do with their game.

SB

Reality bites doesn't it. We could paint roses on the side of a garbage can... but it would still be a garbage can. The fact remains.... every single person that has come to AH to this point has done so for the WWII era.

As I said in another thread. If WWII goes stagnant, the WWI arena better pull way more than the few that are "interested" here now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #159 on: October 21, 2009, 11:51:12 AM »
The fact remains.... every single person that has come to AH to this point has done so for the WWII era.

There is no similar game for the WWI era, so I did not have much choices ;)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #160 on: October 21, 2009, 12:02:40 PM »
Reality bites doesn't it. We could paint roses on the side of a garbage can... but it would still be a garbage can. The fact remains.... every single person that has come to AH to this point has done so for the WWII era.

As I said in another thread. If WWII goes stagnant, the WWI arena better pull way more than the few that are "interested" here now.
I do not think the game is in as bad of shape as you appear to think it is.  Of course I might be wrong.  To me the WW1 arena is just another option of air combat that susbscribers can avail themselves of, if they wish.  I know I will be spending time there.  But I will still spend time in ww2.  If they created more eras I would play there as well.  Just like all the cartoon planes I choose to play in, the more the better.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:04:18 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #161 on: October 21, 2009, 12:14:56 PM »
I do not think the game is in as bad of shape as you appear to think it is.  Of course I might be wrong.  To me the WW1 arena is just another option of air combat that susbscribers can avail themselves of, if they wish.  I know I will be spending time there.  But I will still spend time in ww2.  If they created more eras I would play there as well.  Just like all the cartoon planes I choose to play in, the more the better.

I never said the game was in bad shape. It was very stagnant when CT was on the boards. Hope it never gets that way again. That is why I'm concerned. With very limited man power, anything outside the realm is a threat.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline SB

• Administrator
      • http://home.swbell.net/hmason
« Reply #162 on: October 21, 2009, 12:16:53 PM »

I think I said rational arguments. I'm curious why you are so afraid that HTC won't take care of it's bread and butter.

For another view why doesn't HTC put in a all night ops WWII arena. That should make you happy with the various Ju-88s, Mossies, He-219, waves of Lancs and He-111s and such. That was a major part of WWII that should be addressed by your logic. It probably wouldn't get a whole lot of play but hey, it's WWII. What about a all ground attack arena with beaufighters and such hitting rail yards, shipping, and truck convoys. That was another major part of WWII that really isn't getting addressed either.

You can keep painting garbage cans if you want, I'll be enjoying what we have.

SB

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #163 on: October 21, 2009, 12:24:40 PM »
Like it or not we are getting this arena.

Time to embrace the idea and try it out.

We might like it more than we think we will.

Online Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #164 on: October 21, 2009, 12:38:06 PM »
I think I said rational arguments. I'm curious why you are so afraid that HTC won't take care of it's bread and butter.

For another view why doesn't HTC put in a all night ops WWII arena. That should make you happy with the various Ju-88s, Mossies, He-219, waves of Lancs and He-111s and such. That was a major part of WWII that should be addressed by your logic. It probably wouldn't get a whole lot of play but hey, it's WWII. What about a all ground attack arena with beaufighters and such hitting rail yards, shipping, and truck convoys. That was another major part of WWII that really isn't getting addressed either.

You can keep painting garbage cans if you want, I'll be enjoying what we have.

SB

Your idea of rational is a bit suspect.

The game is all about WWII fighters. The other things to do have been added since. All WWII era..

Now by your way of thinking.... why don't they add an arena for online Monopoly.
80th FS "Headhunters"