Author Topic: 3D Stereoscopic Gaming in Aces High  (Read 1678 times)

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
3D Stereoscopic Gaming in Aces High
« on: October 19, 2009, 04:55:43 PM »
I just installed nVidia's 3D glasses drivers, and I don't have the shutter glasses, but I can use the red/green mode with a cheapy pair of cardboard 3D glasses...

Let me tell ya, it is incredible!  :O  I accidentally poked my monitor trying to show someone something off my left wing!  It is especially incredible when you're gliding in to catch a wire on a turning CV in your wounded bird...  The sense of depth'll knock you out of your seat.

The only problem is, Aces High doesn't seem to be built with 3D in mind...  The gunsight's on the same plane as the sight glass, so you can either focus on the sight or the bad guy out in front of your plane...  Looking at the enemy, you'll see two sights on either side of him.   Real gunsights were out on the horizon weren't they?

The bigger problem is that CON text (the plane type and distance text) is very close to your plane, so you'll see a little dot off in the distance and then out of focus text right by the dot...  It's very disorienting (your eye focus flickers back and forth between the two), and it really hurts my eyes, so I have to turn off the text, which makes me effectively blind with an all-planes/all-countries plane-set.

Is there any way at all to move the gunsights and the con text out to the horizon?  In the coming years, 120hz monitors will get cheaper and shutter glasses will too...  3D gaming'll get more and more popular, and it'd make sense for Aces High to have everything sorted out on the outset...  At the very least, I'd be very appreciative.   :D  :pray  :salute

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
Re: 3D Stereoscopic Gaming in Aces High
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 05:04:13 PM »
I just bought a nVidia 9800 GTX that came with 3d glasses and now you tell me that I can use them in AH???!!!  I already gave them to my kids  :cry
Amazing you could actually recruit that much suck into one squad.
Your Proctologist called, they found your head.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:08:58 PM »
Yep, the 9800 works... If you've got a card on the list and Vista or Win7, you're good to go.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/geforce_3D_vision_winvista_win7_191.03.html

Like  I said, jaw dropping...  Just remember that the colors are going to be terrible with red/green, and that they're just a pale imitation of the expensive implementations.

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 05:13:21 PM »
Yep, the 9800 works... If you've got a card on the list and Vista or Win7, you're good to go.

Like  I said, jaw dropping...  Just remember that the colors are going to be terrible with red/green, and that they're just a pale imitation of the expensive implementations.

I'm color blind  :lol Thanks man I will have to check it out.  Kids will be pissed when I take the glasses back  :x

Sorry for hijacking your thread.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »
ok guys enlighten me here.  we talking about an nvidia card that is made specially for 3d.  or I can use the 9800tx+ that i have d/l the drivers and find me a pair of 3d glasses.   :x :x :x

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
+1.

Now to get some money to actually buy all this stuff...
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 07:20:07 PM »
The gunsight's on the same plane as the sight glass, so you can either focus on the sight or the bad guy out in front of your plane...  Looking at the enemy, you'll see two sights on either side of him.   Real gunsights were out on the horizon weren't they?

The gunsight is projected from underneath onto the glass. I'm not sure what kind of focusing problems this would cause in real life, though.

ok guys enlighten me here.  we talking about an nvidia card that is made specially for 3d.  or I can use the 9800tx+ that i have d/l the drivers and find me a pair of 3d glasses.   :x :x :x

semp
The latest versions of NVIDIA drivers include stereoscopic capabilities.

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:50:22 PM »
Hmmmmm, I can see me searching for the literature that came with my vid card (250gtx)

Thanks for posting this,

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 07:51:41 PM »
In 6 or 7 years when the technology has gotten into puberty is when game designers will waste their time on building the code for 3D.

Don't expect anything any time soon.  That, or find 10,000 of your friends to start playing AH.

It takes money to make money and I'd rather them spending on the things they do now.

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
Don't expect anything any time soon.  That, or find 10,000 of your friends to start playing AH.

Hey, you never know... That's why I made a wishlist thread.  :D

I don't want to mislead anybody about what kind of card you'll need...  If you go here:
and click on the 'Supported Products' tab, you'll see which cards work.

I'm not sure if a 9800tx+ counts since I haven't heard of it.

It's kinda hard to find the right colored glasses for nVidia's version, but I bought these:
http://www.amazon.com/3D-Glasses-ANACHROME-Anaglyph-YOUTUBE/dp/B001DSOUX6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1254753124&sr=8-2-fkmr1

and they're just about right... I think they're slightly off, but they're just about spot on.  You can't buy the official nVidia glasses unless you get em as a pack-in with something else...  I'm pretty sure the movie red/blue glasses don't work though.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 08:47:29 PM »
Well crap, my video card is supported. I've already got the headphones and track-IR, when I put on these glasses my girlfriend might finally say I've gone too far.

I'm gonna miss her.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2009, 10:43:21 PM »
Well crap, my video card is supported. I've already got the headphones and track-IR, when I put on these glasses my girlfriend might finally say I've gone too far.

I'm gonna miss her.

just get some cool aviator glasses, leather bomber jacket, play your top gun cd and enjoy the ride  :salute

semp

btw most cards in the 8 and 9 series above 500 are supported for 3d  :banana: :banana: but only for vista and windows 7  :cry.
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline dunnrite

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:29:47 AM »
I got this working last night and it gave me a headache before I even got off the runway  :(

Offline GuyNoir

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:45:32 AM »
Ah, that sucks... I guess it's like how some people get sick thermalling in a glider or riding a rollercoaster.  That ever happen to you at 3d movies?  Maybe it's a low framerate since it gets halved from overlaying two images...

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 09:51:30 AM »
Can anybody take a screen shot?     :banana:

Yes, I know it's going to look funky. 

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.