Author Topic: P-63 King Cobra  (Read 14177 times)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
P-63 King Cobra
« on: October 21, 2009, 11:29:42 AM »
For the late war area this would be a great add. I love flying the P-39 but it's outclassed in the LWA for speed and climb, and not enough folks fly early and mid war to find a fair fight.
The LWA has the top of the like versions of most airframes 109K4, 190d9 &TA 152, P-51D, F4U F4, Spit 14, Tempest, La 7. and so on. It would be nice to thave the top of the line Airacobra as well. Bell aircraft deserve the 'cred'.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: P-63 King Cobra
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 12:49:21 PM »
I believe the highest scoring allied pilot flew the P-39 and refused flying the P-63.  :airplane:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 01:20:42 PM »
The P-63 is not to the P-39D as the Spitfire Mk XIV is to the Spitfire Mk I or the Bf109K-4 is to the Bf109E-4.  It was an entirely new fighter that visually resembled the P-39, but shared no parts.  It also saw little, if any, combat.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 01:46:29 PM »
It also saw little, if any, combat.

IIRC, there's NO irrefutable evidence it EVER saw combat. Certainly no records by the VVS to indicate it had, only a handful of rumors by the Luftwaffe. All VVS records during the war indicated that only the P-39s were used.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 03:08:58 PM »
IIRC, there's NO irrefutable evidence it EVER saw combat. Certainly no records by the VVS to indicate it had, only a handful of rumors by the Luftwaffe. All VVS records during the war indicated that only the P-39s were used.
A russian P-63 DID shoot down A Japanese fighter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-63_Kingcobra

In the Far East, P-63 and P-39 aircraft were used in the Soviet invasion of Manchukoku and northern Korea, where a Soviet P-63A downed a Japanese fighter aircraft, an Army Nakajima fighter, Ki-43, Ki-44 or Ki-84, off the coast of North Korea.

So that blows that out of the water.

Edit: This is not an endorsement for immediate P-63 inclusion. However it is an endorsement for it's inclusion at some point.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 03:11:19 PM by Bronk »
See Rule #4

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 03:31:09 PM »
+1
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 03:44:36 PM »
cool read

A russian P-63 DID shoot down A Japanese fighter.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-63_Kingcobra

In the Far East, P-63 and P-39 aircraft were used in the Soviet invasion of Manchukoku and northern Korea, where a Soviet P-63A downed a Japanese fighter aircraft, an Army Nakajima fighter, Ki-43, Ki-44 or Ki-84, off the coast of North Korea.

So that blows that out of the water.

Edit: This is not an endorsement for immediate P-63 inclusion. However it is an endorsement for it's inclusion at some point.

~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 04:46:31 PM »
#2 Official allied ace of WWII (Pokryshkin), his squad had been supposedly fitted by P-63s. But, the thing was IIRC, there was some sort of treaty, that said the P-63s could only be used in the eventual war with Japan.

BUT the thing with that treaty is, the VVS was still handling the Luftwaffe, and it would be like leaving a little kid alone with a present telling him not to open it, but never actually checking up to see if he did.

No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 06:42:53 AM »
The p63 is closer to the p39's prototype than the actual p39 ever was sadly as the original p39 prototype would reach an amazing speed of 430ish mph then when the plane was accepted the people in charge looked at the plane and were in the process of {STREAM LINING IT} so they chopped the wings and some other stuff ripped out the engine it shoulda had and decided it didnt need the supercharger or intake it was designed to have.
all and all it was like seeing a good racing dog then deciding it didn't need its back feet to have all its toes and muscles deciding to replace it with blocks and stickers =/.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2009, 02:29:13 PM »
The p63 is closer to the p39's prototype than the actual p39 ever was sadly as the original p39 prototype would reach an amazing speed of 430ish mph then when the plane was accepted the people in charge looked at the plane and were in the process of {STREAM LINING IT} so they chopped the wings and some other stuff ripped out the engine it shoulda had and decided it didnt need the supercharger or intake it was designed to have.
all and all it was like seeing a good racing dog then deciding it didn't need its back feet to have all its toes and muscles deciding to replace it with blocks and stickers =/.

Uhhh, no.

The P-63 was almost a completely new design.  The wing wasn't "chopped".  It was a laminar flow wing like the P-51.

I suppose the engine was in the same place and it still had the big tater chucker it was designed around....

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2009, 04:56:49 PM »

and not enough folks fly early and mid war to find a fair fight.

Hmmm.... I find fights all the time in mid war.  So do plenty of others.  And I see a few P-39's now and again too. 

***G3-MF***

Offline Greziz

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 05:06:49 AM »
awwrgway Please do a little research before you speak. I am not gunna go find the multiple googleings and what not I looked at and read about the 39 and its prototype and how the belle company was basically bankrupt when they finnally were able to sell the 39 bringing them outta the gutter so please check it out you might enjoy the nice history of the 39. {Side Note I would love to get some of the modified 39's The russians went to town on the 39's suping them up and stuff with all sorts of stuff from minor to major like replacing the engine with something better}
The 39 got pimped out by some ^.^ it was a plane that got some personal loving.

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:09 AM »
sorry no field mods.
See Rule #4

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 08:57:55 AM »
The P-63 is not to the P-39D as the Spitfire Mk XIV is to the Spitfire Mk I or the Bf109K-4 is to the Bf109E-4.  It was an entirely new fighter that visually resembled the P-39, but shared no parts.  It also saw little, if any, combat.

I remember reading that the whole airframe was re-done because the addition of the Turbo charger and associated plumbing required a redesign of the mid and aft end of the plane. This changed the weight distribution and drove changes to the front of the plane as well as the wing design. So while it may not be just a more powerful version of the P-39, it is the final evolution of the design concept and was availible to LW pilots in the Russian theater. Maybe they could add it ans we could see if it was any good. I'd like to fly the bigger suped-up version and check it out.
Who is John Galt?

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 12:53:34 PM »
P-63C - Improved P-63A models; fitted with Allison V-1710-117 engine of 1,500 horsepower with 1,800 horsepower capable through water-injection; decreased wingspan; 1,227 examples produced.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will take this model  :aok
Who is John Galt?