Author Topic: Kinda lost here...  (Read 1013 times)

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Kinda lost here...
« on: October 21, 2009, 07:26:01 PM »
Anyone mind explaining the Duel Arena to me? I'm kinda lost here, mainly because actually trying to find a duel is nearly impossible and there is literally tones of unit's that fly in there. How is it so difficult to schedule some quick 2v2s, 3v3s, etc. when there is over 30+ guys that fly in there daily?

Just spent roughly a half hour trying to ask a couple squadrons for some 3v3s with no response from several. Isn't it the Duel Arena?  :confused:

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Kinda lost here...
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2009, 07:36:51 PM »
Best bet is to look for someone you recognize from the MA or better yet bring someone from the MA with you. Furball lake cesspool is just furballing. Not many of the regular DA guys get out of there
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2009, 07:46:27 PM »
A couple of squaddies and I went in there last Saturday when the arena got all screwy and lost dar and whatnot for the con.  I wouldn't say that it's even a furball in the lake.  It was more like two amoeba like hordes that never would flow into each other but only send occasional pseudopodia briefly to test the other amoeba, then pull it back.  Neither side would engage the other, and none of the pilots would leave their own horde for any real amount of time or distance.  It was crazy.  Good for building the SA I think, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2009, 07:49:43 PM »
 :lol

DA is either misnamed or most who fly there are misusing it. Depends on your point of view. Certain people will duel, others will not. Just depends on the crowd. Some are there purely for the furball. Whether this is right or wrong has been debated ad naseum... and I don't really feel like rehashing it. I feel the entire debate is silly.

Anyways, there are select individuals who will duel, myself included. I don't presume to speak for the rest of them so I'll let them post here...
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2009, 07:51:33 PM »
The last time I visited Picker's Pond, someone asked how to fly the 190A-8.  I told em to B&Z with it & avoid getting into a circle jerk with enemy planes.  Immediately, three DA-only types jumped in with "What are you talking about?  The A-8 is one one the best turn fighters in the game!  You don't know your planes.".... :rolleyes:

Haven't been back since.  Strange breed over there I tell ya.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Online Lazerr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »
is the 262 enabled in there?

Would be hilarious to get three good shots in 262s and make a couple passes clearing the entire lake...

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2009, 08:11:35 PM »
:lol

DA is either misnamed or most who fly there are misusing it. Depends on your point of view. Certain people will duel, others will not. Just depends on the crowd. Some are there purely for the furball. Whether this is right or wrong has been debated ad naseum... and I don't really feel like rehashing it. I feel the entire debate is silly.

Anyways, there are select individuals who will duel, myself included. I don't presume to speak for the rest of them so I'll let them post here...

I know what you mean about the debate, and I've read a number of those threads myself.  Personally, I'm very glad that the 1v1 bases and the canyon bases are there, and I try to use them too.  Every time though, it's always been me and another guy from the MA going in there specifically to do that.  I kind of like the lake like it is too, it makes for a good SA tuneup, really.  I think it does need to have both areas for both reasons, the guys who stay there can be happy and have their strange horde fight, and the rest of it is available for guys there to actually duel.  Kind of a win-win if you ask me.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2009, 08:17:44 PM »
"What are you talking about?  The A-8 is one one the best turn fighters in the game!  You don't know your planes.".... :rolleyes:

Well, sure, that's true -- but they forgot to mention that it turns *even better* if you load it up with bombs.  The extra weight helps the wings really bite into the air for even-more-fantastic turn performance.  Those who know their planes know that Germany and Japan sometimes shared designs, like the Me 262/J8N1 Kikka, the Me 262/J8M Shusui, and in this case the FW 190A-8, which is the German copy of the Japanese Zero.  They are nearly identical except that the 190A-8 has its instruments labelled in German instead of Japanese, of course.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2009, 08:18:42 PM »
Anyone mind explaining the Duel Arena to me? I'm kinda lost here, mainly because actually trying to find a duel is nearly impossible and there is literally tones of unit's that fly in there. How is it so difficult to schedule some quick 2v2s, 3v3s, etc. when there is over 30+ guys that fly in there daily?

Just spent roughly a half hour trying to ask a couple squadrons for some 3v3s with no response from several. Isn't it the Duel Arena?  :confused:

Theres plenty of people there that will do what you ask although I admit it can be a bit hit and miss regards who is on at that time. The only thing you can do is ask on 200 and All and hope you get lucky, theres usually something going on away from the main furballing area.
 :cheers:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2009, 08:43:51 PM »
is the 262 enabled in there?

Would be hilarious to get three good shots in 262s and make a couple passes clearing the entire lake...
:rofl I'd do that if I could tag along in a 234! ;)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 08:58:19 PM »

it's not difficult at all. see this thread.

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,276049.0.html

i was there for hours, and having so much fun, i was actually giddy.  :neener: :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:59:29 PM »
Well, sure, that's true -- but they forgot to mention that it turns *even better* if you load it up with bombs.  The extra weight helps the wings really bite into the air for even-more-fantastic turn performance.  Those who know their planes know that Germany and Japan sometimes shared designs, like the Me 262/J8N1 Kikka, the Me 262/J8M Shusui, and in this case the FW 190A-8, which is the German copy of the Japanese Zero.  They are nearly identical except that the 190A-8 has its instruments labelled in German instead of Japanese, of course.

:rofl :aok
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline SunBat

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:17:03 PM »
A couple of squaddies and I went in there last Saturday when the arena got all screwy and lost dar and whatnot for the con.  I wouldn't say that it's even a furball in the lake.  It was more like two amoeba like hordes that never would flow into each other but only send occasional pseudopodia briefly to test the other amoeba, then pull it back.  Neither side would engage the other, and none of the pilots would leave their own horde for any real amount of time or distance.  It was crazy.  Good for building the SA I think, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly.  

Yep. I think of it  as a big clover leaf. 3 teardrops joining at the narrow end just barely, timidly touching. You are more correct though because it usually turns into only two blobs because most horde back and forth to the side with more people.

Add to that the fact that there is no perk system or eny and you have a pitiful excuse for an alternative for those that want a good ole fashion furball minus the griefers in the MA.  
AoM
Do not get caught up in the country-centric thinking.
The great thing about irony is that it splits things apart, gets up above them so we can see the flaws and hypocrisies and duplicates. - David Foster Walla

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2009, 08:08:03 AM »

Heh.  Also important to remember that best rate of turn for the A8 is just about 175 knots.  Good climber, too.

- oldman

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 08:19:34 AM »
A couple of squaddies and I went in there last Saturday when the arena got all screwy and lost dar and whatnot for the con.  I wouldn't say that it's even a furball in the lake.  It was more like two amoeba like hordes that never would flow into each other but only send occasional pseudopodia briefly to test the other amoeba, then pull it back.  Neither side would engage the other, and none of the pilots would leave their own horde for any real amount of time or distance.  It was crazy.  Good for building the SA I think, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. 

:rofl :rofl :rofl :aok
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.