Author Topic: Remember learning the scissors and other ACM?  (Read 1838 times)

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
Re: Remember learning the scissors and other ACM?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2009, 01:59:11 PM »
I've never learned ACM. I've never even really thought about it. I suppose I "fly by the seat of my pants" in that I do whatever feels right for the situation.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2009, 02:09:38 PM »
I never realised how much I'd learnt about poling an aeroplane about the sky until I started teaching Great-Nephew  :rock the principles by showing him how to fly AH. Poor lad was all over the place just trying to stay straight-'n'-level  :joystick: and still thinks yo-yos are kiddy toys. Never mind, he's a bright boy and he'll learn how to distinguish his arse from his elbow . . . one day . . .

:aok
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 02:11:44 PM by Simba »
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2009, 03:16:38 PM »
The day I squeeked the victory away from mazz in the ladder competition is when I openly thought--> "WOW something must have sunk into my thick skull" 

:rofl <S>

(Im making up for it this time around...  :mad: )    :D

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2009, 04:55:21 PM »
:rofl <S>

(Im making up for it this time around...  :mad: )    :D

I have NO doubt about that  :aok

Offline mensa180

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2009, 05:32:51 PM »
I never really learned a 'way' to do things, I just did what worked.  Now I still pretty much suck and don't know the name of whatever move I try other than 'last resort'.
inactive
80th FS "Headhunters"
Public Relations Officer

Offline Stalwart

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2009, 11:58:50 PM »
I remember thinking, How will I ever learn this? How do these guys do it?  How can you possibly fly around and fight without looking where you're going? ...

Several years ago my Dad and my brother were watching over my shoulder as I flew in Warbirds.  I'm twisting and turning and tumbling all over the sky watching a con out my top, rear and side views, and almost never out the forward view until the end.  They were both making confused noises and saying things like "What are you doing?  What are you looking at?  Don't you need to see where you're going?  Shoot him already, for cripes sakes!" 

This goes on for a minute, then suddenly the con I'm fighting with bursts into pieces.  I level out, hit autopilot, and turn around.  "Your turn."   Then I watched the look on my Dad's face when he tried to fly.  It could see he felt just as I did on that first day.

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2009, 12:13:44 AM »
I think that with the amount of good trainers and instructional material around, anybody with the time and inclination has the potential to pick up ACM real fast.

The real questions you should ask while learning ACM... Do you have a disciplined way of thinking? Can you organize your experiences into a coherent framework so you can maximize how much you learn from each encounter? Do you use the film viewer to go over your mistakes? Can you even spot those mistakes? Do you have enough 3-D visualization skills to take the drawings you see in books and the animations you see on the trainers' site and put them to work while you're in the driver's seat? If not, do you have some way to improve your visualization? Can you keep your emotions and adrenaline under control enough to fly smoothly? Can you make the right decisions under pressure?

A "yes" to these questions means you will learn quickly and soon be a lethal opponent.
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2009, 02:25:47 AM »
I remember about 8 years ago..I was sick of getting shot down in my b38... I found Fester/Citabria at the time..and here I am!

Was he a bad teacher or are you student that just doesnt get it?  :neener:
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2009, 02:37:59 AM »
I remember learning those things, but I usually apply them during a giant furball...I learned that fighting 1v1 only works in a 1v1 situation...yet I still attempt to fight 1v1 in a furball. I have learned nothing. :cry
Anytime you want to 1v1 in a furball stop on by !  :banana:  :salute lagger
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2009, 08:00:50 AM »
Most of us have learned by failing and had little to no concept of energy management or terminology related to ACM. Fortunately, humans can be trained as long as there is risk of failure within the equation. The mind tends to remember what works and what doesn't, Aces High is no different.

What separates the wheat from the chaff is the ability to (while using the correct terminology) recognize the opponent's energy state, the ability to encourage the opponent into a narrow position outside their normal operating envelope, and the ability to fly free of pre-programmed maneuvers. Sadly, I am very far from this state.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2009, 08:07:23 AM »
SA don't see you much anymore where you been?  And yes you've learned alittle since then you turn that U4 like nobodys biz.  Nice to see you bud  :salute

I remember coming in here about 2 years ago making flat turns with no flaps, and doing barrel rolls as the most advanced survival technicue. Could not understand how planes coming straight at me could just disappear when I tried to turn after them, only to appear again from seemingly nowhere two sec later shredding me from my 6..?  :headscratch:

That's when I was introduced to something called the MERGE...  :confused:
Remember thinking this game is so full of cheaters and hackers I am not gonna play here for long, that's for sure..  :huh :rofl
Well, I've learned a few things since then.  :lol   :banana:

~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2009, 09:43:24 AM »
And, anyone remember when it suddenly slipped into your consiousness that you were doing all that, and doing it well, and you felt a whole bunch of  :cool: inside.
I'm still waiting on the "doing it well" part.

Talents that I personally admire/envy:
1. Timely use of rudder.  When I see I guy kicking over at the top, I have a sinking feeling that I am a dead man with temporary use of my arms.
2. Good wingman tactics.  There are a few squads who consistently clear their comrades sixes.
3. Taking an energy disadvantage and turning it into an advantage.
4. Snap shot aerial gunnery.  Heck, gunnery in general.  I need to fill my sight with plane before I hit anything.

Someday, I may catch on to a few of these.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2009, 11:19:22 AM »
SA don't see you much anymore where you been?  And yes you've learned alittle since then you turn that U4 like nobodys biz.  Nice to see you bud  :salute

Hey TnDep! Nice to see you too bud! :cheers:
Yes, I've been away from the game for a couple of months now. Been some slow income lately and I had to make some other priorities before my gaming.. But I hope to be back in business very soon now. I really miss flying online now, and I am afraid if I don't get back in game soon I might loose alot of my skill with the hog.. And besides I see there is alot of new things on the agenda from htc these days, wouldn't miss any of those things for the world! So I have to get my account re opened some of these days!
    :salute     :aok

TheStig

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2009, 11:36:50 AM »
ohhh didn't know you have to leave, we definently miss you man having some good 1on1 fields lately you would enjoy.  I've gotten alot better since we've last flown but krup still handing my butt to me and a few others.  Yeah WWI arena coming out soon and hopefully soon after that a 1on1 arena/lobby with ranks alot of peeps has expressed interest in one but I'm sure it's a ways down the road if we do get one.  I'm glad you got your priorities straight most guys choose this game over their wife and family but when you get back give me a shout do some 1on1's while your rusty  :D <S>

P.S. Talking to one of the guys the other day about you and how well you duel.  He didn't know you, he was either pretty new or you weren't doing your job  :neener:

Hey TnDep! Nice to see you too bud! :cheers:
Yes, I've been away from the game for a couple of months now. Been some slow income lately and I had to make some other priorities before my gaming.. But I hope to be back in business very soon now. I really miss flying online now, and I am afraid if I don't get back in game soon I might loose alot of my skill with the hog.. And besides I see there is alot of new things on the agenda from htc these days, wouldn't miss any of those things for the world! So I have to get my account re opened some of these days!
    :salute     :aok

~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline BlauK

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34/
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 02:59:04 AM »
I tried to remember, but no :headscratch:. But I do remember how I still used to rely on those level flat turns while playing Chuck Yeager against them AI-planes in pre-internet years.  :old:

It all must have started to happen gradually in Red baron II while also learning to use the hat for views :) I don't think I ever consciously think that "now I will execute a certain maneuver", but I do recognize what I and others do in those terms.

BlauKreuz - Lentolaivue 34