Author Topic: Surviving the MA lonewolf  (Read 6804 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Re: Surviving the MA lonewolf
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2009, 08:31:47 PM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl   OK, I take that to mean you have no clue what could help if your on an island base 4 sectors from a "near by" base.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2009, 08:35:05 PM »
:rofl :rofl :rofl :rofl   OK, I take that to mean you have no clue what could help if your on an island base 4 sectors from a "near by" base.

Ah, sorry if I had confused the topic. I was sticking to the OP of lonewolfing and working the edges of a fight between two close bases. Sorry for any confusion!
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2009, 08:42:34 PM »
No its OK. I was kind of kidding. But serisouly, if you DO know a trick that helps, for the love of god tell us  :x!!!!!!
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2009, 10:18:59 AM »
When I say this is timid flying I do not mean it to belittle anyone. I was just calling it as it is.

If you consistently place yourself in the middle of a furball, your situational awareness will get better and better. Sure at first you will probably get shot down more. Soon you will be fairly comfortable when there are only 3 planes on you. If you practice low and slow in your bird of choice it will pay off in aces. Everyone... no matter how good or bad will find themselves in this situation at one time or another. The cartoon pilot that has practiced in this situation will come out on top more times than not.

We get a free plane if we get shot down. Why not use that to your advantage. Soon you will be surviving confrontations you would previously never believed possible.

When at a disadvantage.... no matter how many cons are trying to get you..... NEVER give up. Keep trying and you'll be surprised what you may learn.

If you only approach a fight when you have an advantage, you'll be climbing and watching much more than in actual combat. Actual combat that would help make you a more rounded cartoon pilot.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2009, 10:34:53 AM »
When I say this is timid flying I do not mean it to belittle anyone. I was just calling it as it is.

Then try a different qualifier.  You say "timid" and its instantly taken as belittling to those that choose to fly that way. 
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2009, 10:40:03 AM »
Then try a different qualifier.  You say "timid" and its instantly taken as belittling to those that choose to fly that way.  

"Timid" covers it, however that refers to the person. Maybe the correct term should be timorous as I referring to their style of flight.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:45:32 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2009, 10:43:37 AM »
"Timid" covers it best.....

What would you call it?

Timid:  " unassertive: demonstrating a lack of courage or self-assurance"

...something other than that.  There's no way you'll ever get anyone to understand that word as anything other than derrogatory.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2009, 10:45:18 AM »
How about deliberate...

deliberate:  "intentional: carefully thought out and done intentionally"

The fact that you favor a plane that can competitively morph into different flying styles flavors your view of these techniques. 
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:47:06 AM by Stoney »

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2009, 10:47:26 AM »
How about deliberate...

deliberate:  "intentional: carefully thought out and done intentionally"

Doesn't fit. In AH the fight is the game..... why not fight.

Are they deliberately not trying to get better?

The plane I fly is capable of a lot of types of flying as are many in the game. Are they flown that way? Only by those who push them!
Most any plane in the set is capable of way more than anyone following your suggestion will ever know. That is the point I am trying to make here.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:52:08 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2009, 10:50:00 AM »

I should have known better than to even try...   :rolleyes:

HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »
I should have known better than to even try...   :rolleyes:

:lol

Maybe this will be easier to get across.

Do you think a grand prix driver will improve more running around the track by himself? Or will he improve more running around the track in competition.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:57:16 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2009, 10:57:41 AM »
I have always seen the "timid" qualifier as a way of describing flying that is not the into the furball turn & burn flying style.  Forgive me if this overly generalized.  I fly what I consider a more rounded AH experience utilizing a mix of BNZ and TNB both at low and high altitudes.  I understand why some folks take "timid" as an insult. 
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 03, 2009, 11:32:25 AM »
Doesn't fit. In AH the fight is the game..... why not fight.

The plane I fly is capable of a lot of types of flying as are many in the game. Are they flown that way? Only by those who push them!
Most any plane in the set is capable of way more than anyone following your suggestion will ever know. That is the point I am trying to make here.

I hear what you're saying shuff, but some of us just hit an improvement wall.

My wall had a lot to do with my stepping away from AH. Whether I dove in and tangled or played conservatively I just couldnt move the next notch up. The tours I tried just flying for the fight got really really frustrating because my poor gunnery kept me from killing before being ground up by the swarm, so even having better ACM didnt get me the pelts. And no matter how much I worked with offline practice, training arena, and even some trainer time I didnt seem to get over that hump.

Add that discouragement to chronically flying alone, and yeah, there were definitely times I looked to just get some kills.

I guess what I'm saying is that not everybody CAN improve continuously.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: November 03, 2009, 11:47:47 AM »
Then try a different qualifier.  You say "timid" and its instantly taken as belittling to those that choose to fly that way. 

I think you've hit the nail on the head Stoney - It's the constant insulting rude statements that gall me and give me the impression that these people are just out to get people to fly their way - in ways that may play into their hands because of the dynamics of the different FM's - the plus and negative flight characteristics of different planes.

IE: Just because you HO does NOT mean you do not know proper ACM for the plane you are in - just becuse you do NOT furball with a lot of spits and zekes when you are in a 190A8 does not mean you are ignorant of how to properly fight your aircraft. Likely it means you know the strengths of your plane and are going to fight it that way and not give in to this constant pressure to enter into low altitude (below 10,000 heheh) slow furballs.

Those "fight" people are entitled to their thinking and I for one would never insist they change how they play (as they seem to insist people play their way).- actually their style plays into my style  - keep it up lads!!.

To me the fun IS in the WIN!! the KILL is everything!! I get a tremendous charge seeing pieces flying off and flames and hearing their screams as they fall to earth!! I couldn't care less about how I get it - never have and never will - their cartoon plane is "dead" and mine is "alive" - that's ALL that matters - and if they don't like it....TUFF TITTY!!!   :neener: I play the FSO and other events only with one thing in mind - as does the rest of my squad - to WIN!! Everything in the Main is just practice for that!!

So I take extreme umbrage when I'm insulted and shivied into playing by DA standards - let them "play fair" and roll around in circles having their little furballs - all they want - nothing is more A-typical of what occured during the majority of the air war <shrug> - but don't go whining when things don't go your way or people don't play the way you want.

Fair?? you want FAIR?? Go to Disneyland if you want fair!! From me all you'll get is a face full of 20 mike mikes!! :devil

...just my 2cents Cdn!!

Oh ya BTW - HTC KEEP up the great work!!!

...cheers eh! :D
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2009, 11:52:18 AM »
I hear what you're saying shuff, but some of us just hit an improvement wall.

My wall had a lot to do with my stepping away from AH. Whether I dove in and tangled or played conservatively I just couldnt move the next notch up. The tours I tried just flying for the fight got really really frustrating because my poor gunnery kept me from killing before being ground up by the swarm, so even having better ACM didnt get me the pelts. And no matter how much I worked with offline practice, training arena, and even some trainer time I didnt seem to get over that hump.

Add that discouragement to chronically flying alone, and yeah, there were definitely times I looked to just get some kills.

I guess what I'm saying is that not everybody CAN improve continuously.

I agree. The ones I am referring to are the ones that do not commit. They stay outside and watch till they have all the advantages. Those are the ones that will not improve much on anything but watching for a chance. Once someone reaches their peak, there will always be someone better. Being a top stick does not mean being "THE" top stick. It only means being the best you can.

As for your gunnery... have you considered it may not be your gunnery but your stick settings? It might also be something to do with your connection.  <S>
80th FS "Headhunters"