Author Topic: Surviving the MA lonewolf  (Read 6329 times)

Offline Wreked

• Copper Member
Re: Surviving the MA lonewolf
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2009, 05:30:26 PM »
Some comments on the initial OP post - Unless a few squaddies are on I frequently fly solo : some rules I try to keep - I fly ONLY a FW190A8 - because it is a challenge.

1. rarely if ever take off from CAPed/front line field (I do not mind long flights to action - always watching History Chnl - gives me time heheheh)
2. altitude altitude altitude!! minimum 15k+
3. pay attention to Radar Bar/Flight dar
4. full tanks AND DT - allows long flights
5. frequently when presented with a lower distant furball I will dive well before icon range to co alt or just below their level - a distant low 190 is rarely seen as a major threat by many furballers - little do they know I'm topped up with E and in a few seconds will be up their six - destroy them with one overpowering cannon burst and be off into the sky to reset
6.....did I mention altitude???
7. I try to work a furball top down also paying attention to the flight characteristics of closest cons - ie co-alt La's will get my attention before lower zekes do.
8. SA SA SA!!!
9. judge carefully close cons E state and incoming ones too - there is a time to cut and reset in a 190 if you want to live - none of this fight till ya die  crap.
10. always return your bird to the crew chief who loaned it to you
11. pay attention to friendly activities at enemy fields - be supportive
12 never fear pony boys especially low on the deck - they don't know which end is up
13. I take the shot of anyone silly enough to put themselves in front of my cannon - one 30mm will indeed ruin their day!!!

There's a bunch more regarding aircraft manauvers...but then you'll likely kill me easier- can't have that eh!

Just a few of the things that work for me.

...cheers eh! :D

PS - oh ya - of ALL the planes I find P38's burn the prettiest!! Lovely!!!
HO is a HO is a HO!!
You can lead a donkey to a FACT - you just can't make them think!

cheers eh!!

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2009, 05:33:40 PM »
12 never fear pony boys especially low on the deck - they don't know which end is up

This wouldn't be funny if it wasn't largely true.    :lol

This works in  my favor though. I have regular encounters where the guy expects me to run or be an easy kill, I think this surprise factor works to my advantage.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2009, 06:13:26 PM »
"Timid" covers it, however that refers to the person. Maybe the correct term should be timorous as I referring to their style of flight.

Cautious is much more accurate.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Gabriel

• Copper Member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2009, 06:16:51 PM »
I don't get the 'timid' comment.

You don't learn much by being 'uncautious' and getting shot down before your gear is up or heading into a furball for 30 seconds of combat until you get picked off.

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2009, 06:52:46 PM »
I don't get the 'timid' comment.

You don't learn much by being 'uncautious' and getting shot down before your gear is up or heading into a furball for 30 seconds of combat until you get picked off.
My definition of that word is:
1. Refusing to engage when at equal alt, E, speed, etc.
2. disengage when you lose an advantage and extend a great distance only to pick you while you fight another.
3. Refuse a 1v1, but wait until friends show up.

That's my opinion. You learn from experience and gain confidence. If you don't have confidence, you do one or all three above.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 06:59:54 PM by Bear76 »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2009, 06:58:27 PM »

You are much more dangerous at 8k and 400 mph than you are at 12k and 150 mph.

I agree with much of your advice, but can't help pointing out that a fighter doing 150 mph @ 12k will very quickly become a fighter doing 400 mph at 8k.... Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »
Then try a different qualifier.  You say "timid" and its instantly taken as belittling to those that choose to fly that way. 

How about lacking 'lacking testical fortitude'?  It's a far more apt description than timid.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2009, 07:03:56 PM »
My definition of that word is:
1. Refusing to engage when at equal alt, E, speed, etc.
2. disengage when you lose an advantage and extend a great distance only to pick you while you fight another.
3. Refuse a 1v1, but wait until friends show up.

That's my opinion. You learn from experience and gain confidence. If you don't have confidence, you do one or all three above.

I agree, that is timid. While it might be more on the side of "smart" for planes such as the A-20G, and possibly the Mossie, for almost anything but a bomber, that is too timid. Waiting for help with a fair 1v1 fight is stupid in my opinion.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 03, 2009, 07:04:31 PM »
I agree with much of your advice, but can't help pointing out that a fighter doing 150 mph @ 12k will very quickly become a fighter doing 400 mph at 8k.... Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

My regards,

Widewing

Not immediately, which is what I was thinking of(I wasn't really clear, sorry).  I'm sure a guy at 15K would much rather bounce the slow guy at 12K than the fast guy at 8K. The fast guy has a lot more options.

I understand what you mean though, as far as total E being about the same.   :salute
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 03, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »
How about lacking 'lacking testical fortitude'?  It's a far more apt description than timid.

ack-ack
Testicular?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #70 on: November 03, 2009, 07:10:31 PM »
I always get amused at the guys who banter the word "timid" around under these circumstances.

To me the 'timid' pilot is the one that just doesn't want to fight, not how they fight.  The player that runs from an enagement and then only comes back into the fight to pick when the other player is already engaged in another fight is an example of a timid pilot.  The pilot that comes in on the merge with guns firing and then runs for home or help, that's another example of a timid pilot.  Basically, any enagement that the player avoids that may result in the player being shot down.

Personally, I don't care if you BnZ, E fight or angles fight as long as you fight and not wuss out.  I never understood why players that are so afraid of a fight play a PvP centric game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: November 03, 2009, 07:14:44 PM »
Not immediately, which is what I was thinking of(I wasn't really clear, sorry).  I'm sure a guy at 15K would much rather bounce the slow guy at 12K than the fast guy at 8K. The fast guy has a lot more options.

I understand what you mean though, as far as total E being about the same.   :salute

Make much more sense to me now..  :aok

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline nimble

• Copper Member
« Reply #72 on: November 03, 2009, 07:18:35 PM »
On a side note, thanks for the 6 calls last night ack-ack. We sure had our big higher alt planes down in the rats nest for a bit last night. !
Even if it seems certain that you will lose, retaliate. Neither wisdom nor technique has a place in this. A real man does not think of victory or defeat. He plunges recklessly towards an irrational death. By doing this, you will awaken from your dreams.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2009, 07:54:32 PM »
I never realized how immature steve is....  just too funny.

:rofl

I'll tell you steve... if your SA is bad then stay high, stay fast, and look for those already commited. Pretty easy stuff there. That is why nimble posted this to the new folks.

Your complex reminds me of the kid is a leather jacket and sunglasses... sitting on his tricycle.

Geesh get over it. You obviously have not read what I posted.  :rofl

Oh yeah one other thing... score means nothing here in AH.   :cheers:
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #74 on: November 03, 2009, 07:56:28 PM »
Some comments on the initial OP post - Unless a few squaddies are on I frequently fly solo : some rules I try to keep - I fly ONLY a FW190A8 - because it is a challenge.

1. rarely if ever take off from CAPed/front line field (I do not mind long flights to action - always watching History Chnl - gives me time heheheh)
2. altitude altitude altitude!! minimum 15k+
3. pay attention to Radar Bar/Flight dar
4. full tanks AND DT - allows long flights
5. frequently when presented with a lower distant furball I will dive well before icon range to co alt or just below their level - a distant low 190 is rarely seen as a major threat by many furballers - little do they know I'm topped up with E and in a few seconds will be up their six - destroy them with one overpowering cannon burst and be off into the sky to reset
6.....did I mention altitude???
7. I try to work a furball top down also paying attention to the flight characteristics of closest cons - ie co-alt La's will get my attention before lower zekes do.
8. SA SA SA!!!
9. judge carefully close cons E state and incoming ones too - there is a time to cut and reset in a 190 if you want to live - none of this fight till ya die  crap.
10. always return your bird to the crew chief who loaned it to you
11. pay attention to friendly activities at enemy fields - be supportive
13. I take the shot of anyone silly enough to put themselves in front of my cannon - one 30mm will indeed ruin their day!!!

There's a bunch more regarding aircraft manauvers...but then you'll likely kill me easier- can't have that eh!

Just a few of the things that work for me.

...cheers eh! :D

PS - oh ya - of ALL the planes I find P38's burn the prettiest!! Lovely!!!

HAHAHA Good post  :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)