Author Topic: Upgrade a laptop?  (Read 647 times)

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
Upgrade a laptop?
« on: November 03, 2009, 11:52:32 AM »
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300  128MG MEMORY

Its running over a 1.6 pent processor  in a Dell Inspiron 9300

Am I wasting my time?  Should I just look for a cheap tower just to run the game. I'm not real computer literate   I had to quit when the update came out a few months ago everyone was complaining about but now with the WW1 planes coming out I want back in the fun.

Thanks
Jay12

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
Re: Upgrade a laptop?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2009, 12:24:26 PM »
You won't be able to upgrade that laptop.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 12:26:10 PM »
ATI MOBILITY RADEON X300  128MG MEMORY

Its running over a 1.6 pent processor  in a Dell Inspiron 9300

Am I wasting my time?  Should I just look for a cheap tower just to run the game. I'm not real computer literate   I had to quit when the update came out a few months ago everyone was complaining about but now with the WW1 planes coming out I want back in the fun.

Thanks

Yeah get a cheap tower setup, only sensible solution for gaming.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:09:33 PM »
alrighty then.....I'm on a new mission.

Thanks
Jay12

Offline bravoa8

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:32:12 PM »
Yeah computers are almost always better than laptops.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 04:59:43 PM »
sell the laptop and build yourself this. will play AH2 like it's minesweeper.

highlights:
  • DX 11 support, newest DirectX implementation.
  • QUAD CORE
  • BLU-RAY, play movies on your HDTV!
you can make this a flat $500 build or even go cheaper if you get a DX10/DX10.1 card (GT200 series, HD4800), and swap blu-ray out for a cd-rom.

good luck!

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 07:04:52 PM »
WOW  Thanks for all the info :salute
Jay12

Offline Fulmar

• Gold Member
      • Aces High Movie Database
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 07:19:12 PM »
Unless you have a real need for a blu-ray reader, you could save $30 and get a DVD-RW drive.
In game callsign: not currently flying
Flying off and on since Warbirds
Aces High Movies available at www.derstuhl.net/ahmd2 - no longer aceshighmovies.com - not updated either

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 08:27:21 PM »
lol i forgot about the DDR3! and win7 64-bit or winXP 64-bit recommended.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820178238

Offline WWM

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 09:48:28 PM »
I've got XP pro I'll put on it.  I'm not putting anything on this other than what is needed for this game.  Hopefully that will cut down on some processes.

Thanks again for the responses....very helpful!
Jay12

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2009, 12:31:15 AM »
I've got XP pro I'll put on it.  I'm not putting anything on this other than what is needed for this game.  Hopefully that will cut down on some processes.

Thanks again for the responses....very helpful!

Make sure your motherboard has drivers for XP. It's not automatic to have them anymore. No drivers -> mucho problems.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline AKDogg

• Gold Member
      • http://aksquad.net/
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2009, 11:27:05 AM »
lose the green series of the Western digital Hard drive.  Get at least the blue series or black.  The green drives are slow and u will see it in the game when cache loads or a plane comes in with a different skin. 

O btw, u are better off with a dual core system with a higher clock rate then a quad core.  The game is processor dependent as far as clock speed is concerned.  A 3ghz dual core will run the game better/ faster then a quad core running at 2.0 ghz.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2009, 11:29:09 AM by AKDogg »
AKDogg
Arabian knights
#Dogg in AW
http://aksquad.net/

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2009, 12:24:27 PM »
lose the green series of the Western digital Hard drive.  Get at least the blue series or black.  The green drives are slow and u will see it in the game when cache loads or a plane comes in with a different skin. 

O btw, u are better off with a dual core system with a higher clock rate then a quad core.  The game is processor dependent as far as clock speed is concerned.  A 3ghz dual core will run the game better/ faster then a quad core running at 2.0 ghz.

While what you say is partly true, nowadays you can't tell anything from clock speed only. A good example is this review http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=384&Itemid=63 where a 3.4Ghz AMD quad core is pitted against 2.66Ghz Intel i5 and the 'slower' running processor beats the AMD counterpart in most of the tests. Without even thinking what would happen should the i5 get overclocked mildly.

Offline skribetm

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2009, 12:38:11 PM »
ahhh. lovely benchmarketing with icc-compiled software. effective for selling inferior architectures.  :rofl

The Core i7 870 more frequently came out ahead, but still the AMD Phenom II X3 710 had a number of strong finishes especially considering its only a triple-core processor and costs just over $100 USD. Even the Core i5 750 will cost more than the AMD Phenom II X3 710. What is important to keep in mind though is that Intel Turbo Boost Technology was disabled on the processors during testing, since this functionality had not worked under Linux for increasing the clock frequency but instead appeared to cause some sporadic performance problems.

Surprisingly, the Phenom II X3 710 actually outperformed the Core i7 920 when it came to the Blowfish performance within John The Ripper, where AMD processors have a strong upper-hand. The AMD processor was faster than the Core i7 920 by about 7% and about 75% faster than the Core i7 870.

imagine if it were that same 3.4GHz AMD processor in that review. only way for intel to sell is to pay-off oem's: http://www.pcworld.com/article/181401/ny_attorney_general_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_intel.html

.. while publishing biased benchmarketing results with cheats enabled. http://techreport.com/articles.x/17732

got to say its effective. 

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2009, 01:05:11 PM »
ahhh. lovely benchmarketing with icc-compiled software. effective for selling inferior architectures.  :rofl

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

imagine if it were that same 3.4GHz AMD processor in that review. only way for intel to sell is to pay-off oem's: http://www.pcworld.com/article/181401/ny_attorney_general_files_antitrust_lawsuit_against_intel.html

.. while publishing biased benchmarketing results with cheats enabled. http://techreport.com/articles.x/17732

got to say its effective. 

If that 'cheat' means my whatever-compiled game gets better fps as a result I don't give a rats bellybutton about some linux benchmark.