Author Topic: unlearning bad habits  (Read 3260 times)

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
Re: unlearning bad habits
« Reply #60 on: November 14, 2009, 08:47:07 PM »
From what I gather the "problem" is that you appear to be clueless.
It's only what you read into it. You appear to be clueless about what I'm saying. You seem to be intentionally reading "noob" into my statements. I do in fact know what lag/lead/pure, in plane, out of plane etc mean. Yet somehow you stated that E state is irrelevant for a turn radius fight??? When the textbook counter to a scissors is a high yo yo which requires a superior E state.

Your comments on what he "did wrong" are laughably incorrect and delusional IMO. Feel free to post a few clips here to change my mind...i'll gladly admit if i'm wrong...but based on your comments your going to hurt folks a lot more then help them.
I'll admit if I'm wrong on the merge (as I may very well be). Note he could have overflown you and spiral climbed to make use of his climb advantage, but being aggressive and seeing a supposedly defenseless A20, I guess he didn't. That's one alternate "merge". Also note that he did yield a shot opportunity, though a fleeting one before you committed a flight path overshoot underneath him. I'll admit if I'm wrong on the shot attempt he took on you. That one I can't really judge.

On the Scissor (parts 6-9)? Hell no, unless you show the A20 has a sustained turn rate advantage, in which case of course I'm wrong (my entire argument is based on the assumption the CHog has a better turn rate than the A20). How exactly would you have killed him if he had either forced a turn rate fight or gone with a barrel roll to gain your six? If you (A20) try to fight a nose-tail turn radius fight, he can roll level and pull vertical and adjust his geometry that way. The link I posted earlier to the Badboy thread has two good examples of this, and that is with MIRROR planes, not a mismatched fighter vs attack plane situation.

Let me break down why I think he should have barrel rolled you in step 8.

1) Displacement - he travels a longer distance than a straight scissor reversal thus controlling his horizontal forward motion.
2) Vertical maneuvering controls forward airspeed and thus closure and also controlling his horizontal forward motion.
3) Superior E state at the time of maneuver (50 mph) means you can't match the vertical part of his maneuver.
4) He just generated the horizontal separation he needed for it.

Remember - turn rate wins nose-tail fights, turn radius wins nose-nose fights. That's straight from other trainers' mouths. Link here as I posted before. http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,271266.0.html

Again, I might be wrong on the merge. I don't know all sorts of merges, and I usually fly reactively as you mentioned. I don't go for all in merges unless I know I'll lose otherwise. And again, the shot SHawk took, I might be wrong on. That's an ambiguous situation for me.

Edit: merge - http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/acm-merge/acm-merge.htm
"Immelman beats a flat turn" with videos. I understand that he's higher than you at the time of merge. I would have dived pre-merge and pulled up into a lead turn Immelman (common advice from the trainers) or played it conservatively with a climbing spiral, trying to pull even higher than you (the A20) and converting that energy advantage into a saddle position as you flounder at the top. Note this approach may very well be "wrong" as well, but it uses the CHog's climb rate advantage and a spiral climb->vertical reversal is a standard tactic when you have a climb rate advantage.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:02:31 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #61 on: November 14, 2009, 09:23:58 PM »
only way to solve this is to see you two guys go at it in a spit vs F6 fights. 3 fights with each of you in the spit. Film of course, and then bring the discussion back here.   :D

Boomerlu, I don't think I've ever fought you, but from what I've seen on these boards and checking the score boards I have the feeling that you know a lot about "fighting" but have very little practice at it.

Humble on the other hand I have fought, and I know he not only knows what he's talking about, but can back it up with pretty much any plane in the list.

You may believe you know what your talking about, and on the surface you most likely do, but when it comes to putting that info into practice I think humble could teach you a few things that might not make sense on paper but work very well in the air. Understanding how something is done, is not the same as being able to do it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 09:29:25 PM by The Fugitive »

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: November 14, 2009, 09:40:07 PM »
Well the thing is - we all agree in a CHog vs A20 fight, the CHog has to make mistakes for the A20 to win right? If the mistakes aren't the ones I pointed out, what were they?

Boomerlu, I don't think I've ever fought you, but from what I've seen on these boards and checking the score boards I have the feeling that you know a lot about "fighting" but have very little practice at it.
I have fought a number of good sticks and had a fair share of wins. I haven't been in a proper duel since I got knocked out of the dueling bracket by Manurin. I have the films - I was in the saddle in both F4U fights but couldn't make the shot connect.

I haven't flown a lot in the MA. Prior to joining JG11 I flew mostly DA to get quick practice. Since I joined, I've been busy and mostly flown squad nights, FSOs, and scenarios. That is why I lack any substantial score. In any case, MA score is hardly indicative of skill beyond a very general "he sucks or he doesn't".

Now I don't claim to be great, but we're discussing theory here after all. Where was SHawk's mistake? If what I pointed out was "delusional" as Humble says, what were the mistakes? This is rhetorical for the sake of this argument, but I also want to know. Humble won the fight; what were the mistakes? Tell me so I don't commit them.

And also, Humble first said...

1) he went for an aggressive lead turn...just like U said...fight was over then
Implying SHawk's merge was wrong...

Then later Humble says...
As I stated his merge was not only 100% correct but it was the only correct merge he could fly if he wanted to press home the engagement.
:headscratch: :headscratch: Which is it? Did SHawk blow the merge as Humble mentions in the first quote? Or was it 100% correct? This is also a rhetorical question, but I actually want to know.... which is it? How does a nose low turn maintain angular parity when

a) It increases turn radius?
b) It decreases turn rate because SHawk is over corner velocity?

Partly rhetorical again - but I also want to know in case I did miss something.

As for SHawk's decision to fly a scissors... refer the forum link and note that a CHog most likely has a turn rate advantage.

If he wants to go for a quicker kill, note he has a 50 mph speed advantage here! Use the vertical! Humble is down to about 100 mph and there's no way he could get a shot solution should SHawk go vertical. Remember SHawk is IN FRONT and 50 mph FASTER meaning he is losing the horizontal scissors.

Instead of going vertical with his energy advantage... he flies in front of Humble's guns. :headscratch:

Looks like a mistake to me.

Edits: a lot of adjustments.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 10:05:18 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 15, 2009, 01:01:26 AM »
1st manny is a squaddie and a very fine stick, just getting on his 6 is an accomplishment for which you are to be commended.

I'm not trying to be harsh or condescending and apologize if I appear to have been. Let me try to restate what I'm saying.

1) Air combat is rarely absolute, this is especially true as pilot quality increases. You can view seemingly identical tactics yield opposite results until you examine the more "trivial" details involved.

2) Performance between dissimilar aircraft is similar or even functionally identical over a large percentage of the flight envelope. This allows a pilot in an "inferior" plane to maintain an even playing field or even gain a momentary advantage until his opponent can force the fight into a portion of the mutual flight envelope where a distinct advantage is possible. Keeping just these 2 points in mind let me try and answer your points above...

So 1st and foremost I'm reading "noob" correctly or incorrectly based on the absoluteness of your comments. I've never seen anyone fly a perfect fight, the reality is that the person who minimizes mistakes generally wins. Lets review the clip. It's not really correct for me to speak for Shawk but I think it's wrong to assume he just flew stupid given his impressive track record of overall success. This is my speculation and is consistent with what I tought here as a trainer specific to neg E merges.

From the film we see that I am both lower and faster. I think Shawk probably assumed I was at least slightly "+E". Trying force a classic "rocketman" merge opens up a lot of possibilities...mostly bad, especially given his sustained performance advantage. By countering my merge the way he did he gains both an angular advantage and some additional E. While he ends the 1st half circle 2,000 feet lower he is 100+ mph faster. Given his firepower and sustained climb advantage he can now force the fight up...in effect he's giving me a rope with the clear belief that he can either carry enough E to make the shot or stabilize close enough to secure a lasting advantage ( a judgement I quickly concurred with). Had he attempted an E opener from a -E -alt position I'd have probably caught him...so he either refuses the merge and blows on by to reset or he does what he did. Now let me explain my comment about the merge. both Shawk and I have a similar mentality, he is forcing a fight...just like I would in his place. 90% of the time that tactic will win, the other 10% it's at risk. By doing what he did he placed the fight squarely in our common flight envelope...as long as I reacted by compressing the fight back down into him...had I tried to take the fight up it would have shifted to his portion of the flight envelope as I transitioned to more of my sustained climb rate.

My mistake in Managing my excess E was less then his in carrying to much E up for to long vs setting up more of a true vertical two circle fight. The reality is that he expects to win that vertical rolling scissor just as much as I did, the mistake is in accepting an even odds match up. So the answer is he flew a very good merge that was countered and accepted a fight that occurred in the mutual flight envelope. Once he see's me roll over he can simply split-s and extend to a speed beyond my capability. Once the scissor actually starts I'm functionally in his donut hole at the moment I transition back to lag. Theoretically it is impossible for him to generate a shot on me from that position since his lift vector wont allow it...basically the more he turns the shorter the vector is so the less total energy he has left. So the end result is we wash back to that position but with me more stabilized with regard to AOT. Now my opinion is that since we are within the mutual overlap in flight envelope at 33/34 sec it didnt matter if he did the "curly cue" or not. He can't maneuver beyond my capabilities quickly enough to avoid me pulling lead unless he does something radical...if I hose my own lift vector I then push the fight to where he does have the edge and die...by "floating" I maximize my lift vector and maintain relative position when all is said and done. At that point climb, roll and control surface authority are all in his favor. Any type of flat or nose down turn is in mine since we are in a common area of the flight envelope and he can't outrun my guns. So taking the fight up and forcing me to roll with him is the best option he has at that point...in fact it was his only viable option. If I pop his oil instead of lighting him up then I have to climb into and thru him...given his sustained performance advantage he probably wins the fight.

I probably fly some of the better vertical scissors in the game and the key is amplitude....the guy who flys the farthest while going forward the least amount wins, so turn rate is not in my opinion the deciding factor. Lets review your comments on going up. At 55 sec I've stabilized nose nose down and in lag. Shawk is above and in my right front quarter at less then 200...if he continues up I do not see how he avoids giving me a shot, at 56 seconds I've rolled more in plane and under range is just over 200 and speed differential is pretty stable as I move to his blind spot. At 57 sec he cant see me...can he avoid the shot by hanging the prop...I don't think he could and neither does he. He's trying to do exactly what you mentioned right up till he see's me begin to disappear into his blind spot.

My issue here is pretty simple, your presenting a bunch of theoretical solutions that take both sides. You'd fly my fight but Shawk "should" have won. My take is completely different, there are no absolutes in air combat and each individual pilot can meld position and intent to create almost limitless possibilities. Your ability to generate a potential winning solution is limited only by your imagination and sense of aggression. Everything your saying is factually correct but relies on moving the fight into a portion of the flight envelope that is advantageous to you. Basically it boils down to I'll fly to the strength of my plane and you can't beat me. My take is that your plane is gonna have to overcome my imagination and determination to kill you. This is a fundamental argument, plane or pilot...at no point in any of those clips do I allow the fight to move to a portion of the flight envelope that precludes the possibility of success. Does it happen to me, all the time. But those pilots who can manipulate me in that way do so regardless of plane type a vast majority of the time.

So my response is that simple, all your saying is fiction until you can force it on the other guy against his will. I'll leave you with a final clip for now. This is an interesting match up between me and Spatula where neither of us can force the fight we want. The fights you remember for a long time and only can find a few times a year...
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/funwithkitchen%20utensils.ahf   

I'm pretty sure I've got spatula's clip as well so I'll look for it....fun to see it from both sides...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Spatula

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2009, 01:27:51 AM »
Quote from: humble

I'm pretty sure I've got spatula's clip as well so I'll look for it....fun to see it from both sides...
Here it is, if you cant find it Humble.
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/TheVault_Files/FilmDetails.aspx?name=spat_humble.zip
Airborne Kitchen Utensil Assault Group

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #65 on: November 15, 2009, 03:57:27 AM »
1) Air combat is rarely absolute, this is especially true as pilot quality increases. You can view seemingly identical tactics yield opposite results until you examine the more "trivial" details involved.
So 1st and foremost I'm reading "noob" correctly or incorrectly based on the absoluteness of your comments. I've never seen anyone fly a perfect fight, the reality is that the person who minimizes mistakes generally wins.
The reason I'm dealing with absolutes (i.e., "no mistakes") is that if I don't... then the whole thing becomes a mess that you can't analyze. Because there are so many possibilities in every situation and multiple counters...

I HAVE a set of moves/behavioral pattern that will work and I know how to capitalize on mistakes. I don't ever fly into a fight expecting these mistakes to occur, I take them as they occur.

In this mindset, I'm going for the first shot as the F6F and disengaging unless I see a tell (which we've discussed before) for lower skill or a mistake. Maybe I'm wrong assuming my opponent will not make a mistake until I see the first one... maybe that mindset keeps me from getting as many kills as I could. You'd be the first to point it out, so maybe I'll change that mindset. I will have to see how it works out.

The thing is though - when I fly into the fight, I know exactly where my advantages are. I fly towards them. It's just that in the specific F6F case, my risk is much larger flying "all in" because of the Spit's E-building ability and turn rate.

Essentially, there's no "answer" for how to beat a Spit16 in an F6F. The best return/risk ratio that I could see is doing the Immelman lead turn merge (as many many people don't realize how good it is), then disengaging.

It's not an absolute answer, but it's the best return/risk UNTIL you have further information on your opponent's skill. Maybe I should have qualified my statements with that.

2) Performance between dissimilar aircraft is similar or even functionally identical over a large percentage of the flight envelope ... [rest edited out]
Yes I know exactly what you're talking about. It clearly shows on EM diagrams for example.

From the film we see that I am both lower and faster. I think Shawk probably assumed I was at least slightly "+E". Trying force a classic "rocketman" merge opens up a lot of possibilities...mostly bad, especially given his sustained performance advantage.
"Rocketman merge"? You're going to need to clarify.

By countering my merge the way he did he gains both an angular advantage and some additional E. While he ends the 1st half circle 2,000 feet lower he is 100+ mph faster. [...] By doing what he did he placed the fight squarely in our common flight envelope...as long as I reacted by compressing the fight back down into him...had I tried to take the fight up it would have shifted to his portion of the flight envelope as I transitioned to more of my sustained climb rate.
That makes a lot more sense. I believe I misjudged your relative E states in the start of the assessment - I thought you two were more Co-E.

Explain though - how did he generate more E by going into a dive? Dive increases airspeed which increases drag, not to mention he has to flat turn all the way around to point at you. It seems to me that he didn't so much gain E advantage as you lost it by maneuvering harder.

My mistake in Managing my excess E was less then his in carrying to much E up for to long vs setting up more of a true vertical two circle fight. The reality is that he expects to win that vertical rolling scissor just as much as I did, the mistake is in accepting an even odds match up.
That makes sense as well.

Once the scissor actually starts I'm functionally in his donut hole at the moment I transition back to lag. Theoretically it is impossible for him to generate a shot on me from that position since his lift vector wont allow it...basically the more he turns the shorter the vector is so the less total energy he has left. So the end result is we wash back to that position but with me more stabilized with regard to AOT
This is what I see as well, but I guess I'd put it in simpler terms. He can't pull for a shot, you have a control authority advantage at those speeds, so you do a lag roll to gain his tail.

Now my opinion is that since we are within the mutual overlap in flight envelope at 33/34 sec it didnt matter if he did the "curly cue" or not.
Curly cue?

He can't maneuver beyond my capabilities quickly enough to avoid me pulling lead unless he does something radical...if I hose my own lift vector I then push the fight to where he does have the edge and die...by "floating" I maximize my lift vector and maintain relative position when all is said and done. At that point climb, roll and control surface authority are all in his favor. Any type of flat or nose down turn is in mine since we are in a common area of the flight envelope and he can't outrun my guns.
I'm not sure what point of the film you're talking about here.

Here's what I see around 1:00-1:10.

As you pull onto his six, he break turns away. My guess here is that if he continues the break turn while you pull lead for the shot, your E state will be lower than his. He rolls and pulls out of plane, you blow your shot opportunity (not absolute, but from what I'm seeing, a safer course of action than cutting across the nose), then he continues to fight a turn rate fight, extending or going vertical as needed to adjust geometry.

Ok, next step of the fight, he has chosen to cut across your nose. At this point, the speeds are 113 you, 153 SHawk (1:06 timestamp) while you have 200 ft of altitude advantage.

At THIS point, how is it NOT a mistake to reverse his turn and cut across your nose? He's faster and in front, and thereby losing the scissors fight.

Three good options I see on SHawk's part
1) Extend, reset the fight.
2) Continue in a flat turn as in the previous step.
3) Go vertical to control his forward horizontal movement while cutting back towards you.

Is any of these WORSE than continuing in a scissors with you? When the A20 has the advantage in turn radius and stability at those speeds (I think) and he's too fast to prevent giving a momentary snapshot?

I probably fly some of the better vertical scissors in the game and the key is amplitude....the guy who flys the farthest while going forward the least amount wins, so turn rate is not in my opinion the deciding factor. [...]
No, I'm not saying turn rate is important in the vertical scissors. I never said that. So here we are, again you have misread my meaning. I'm saying at the point that he entered the HORIZONTAL scissors with you, he could have instead continued his flat turn and used his turn rate advantage. If you pull lead for the shot, he can pull out of plane. Note, giving you a shot through a continued flat turn is no worse than what he did, which is give you a shot through a flat turn reversal. That is the primary and most lethal mistake that I saw. You may be in his blind spot, but he also slowed down his turn and rolled back towards you, contributing to keeping you in his blind spot.

My issue here is pretty simple, your presenting a bunch of theoretical solutions that take both sides. You'd fly my fight but Shawk "should" have won.
It's simple as well - I would merge like you did. Seeing what you saw, I would have flown in the same manner. Your choice of maneuvers was logical given SHawk's choices (which were illogical to me).

Now, I defer on the merge and vertical scissoring portion. But after you gain his six, can you really say he didn't have a better option than to reverse across your nose? And after crossing your nose, can you really say he didn't have a better option than to reverse across your nose AGAIN?

Note, I had to split up the message because of the max character length.
boomerlu
JG11

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #66 on: November 15, 2009, 03:59:53 AM »
My take is completely different, there are no absolutes in air combat and each individual pilot can meld position and intent to create almost limitless possibilities. Your ability to generate a potential winning solution is limited only by your imagination and sense of aggression. Everything your saying is factually correct but relies on moving the fight into a portion of the flight envelope that is advantageous to you. Basically it boils down to I'll fly to the strength of my plane and you can't beat me. My take is that your plane is gonna have to overcome my imagination and determination to kill you. This is a fundamental argument, plane or pilot...at no point in any of those clips do I allow the fight to move to a portion of the flight envelope that precludes the possibility of success.
As you said before, SHawk's mistake was accepting a vertical scissors fight on even odds. But that is a CHOICE, and that is PSYCHOLOGY, not ACM. It may be important to the fight, but it has nothing to do with the best choice at each step, which is what I'm presenting.

So my response is that simple, all your saying is fiction until you can force it on the other guy against his will.
Again, we differ in philosophy. I start out saying "I can't rely on my opponent making a mistake." You start out saying "I will force my opponent to make a mistake." But in the end, when we see those mistakes, we both go for them. Since we're talking about a Co-E 1v1 fight and neither fighter starts out with a positional advantage, it's rare you can truly "force" your opponent to do anything. That entails setting up a situation where he does what you want or he dies and if you're at that point, you've already won the fight in the first place.

Thing is, if I have a sound and working logical knowledge of ACM (that is I know the proper move at every step given the planes), you most likely won't be able to force your fight on me. Yes it's theoretical now, but from what I've observed about the way I fly, I most often don't fall for bait. If I know what's going on ACM wise, I see the bait. If I see the bait, I either refuse it, or take it knowingly, accepting the risk involved. Very rarely does it blindside me in 1v1 fights. If I don't know the correct ACM choices, then of course I'm liable to take the bait.

That is why my mindset assumes my opponent flies without mistakes until shown otherwise. Because if I've thoroughly learned my ACM (both by the book and practically), I wouldn't be induced into a mistake myself. That's why I've emphasized the absolutes here. In most cases, it's the pilot not the plane, but if both pilots are perfect, then it's the plane now isn't it? That's the crux of the question "How do I beat X with Y?"

How else can you answer that in any degree of detail without making some very strong assumptions (like my assumption of both flying perfectly)? Either you end up DRASTICALLY oversimplifying but making a strong assumption anyways (Immelman merge, watch for him to commit to a scissor fight, then use your turn radius advantage - note how you assume that he makes the mistake of commiting to a scissor fight?), or you end up with something SO COMPLEX you cannot possibly explain it (well if he does this, I do this, if he does that... etc etc, but there are infinite "ifs").

Hey maybe, you do have a good answer. I'm not a trainer, I don't regularly try to explain these things. But from where I'm sitting, any explanation along the lines of "fly to your advantages" basically assumes that your opponent makes the mistake of letting you do so (e.g., he enters a turn radius fight with your tighter turning plane) which is just as strong of an assumption as the one I made.
boomerlu
JG11

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 15, 2009, 10:15:53 AM »
boomerlu,

I'll try and respond to that parts that may help others here a bit, beyond that it's simple a question of applying the gneralities to the specific's at hand. I think you summed it up yourself when you said you got on Manny's 6 but couldn't convert. Thats very typical vs a very good stick (which he is)...the truth is most really good fights just break down to a series of end game reversals that hang in the balance.

Everything I posted here with the exception of the clip with spatula (TY very much for posting the other half Spat :salute :aok) is specific to both out of plane flying and lift vector management in a non dueling environment. The entire F6F/spitfire element is an offshoot. I'll try and illustrate my comments using a different clip (actually two). 1st lets look at the "duel" with slap, this starts off with a true dueling merge. Slap is without a doubt a better dueler then I am and the FM-2 is "his ride" yet that clip shows that the A-20 can "furball" and force him into the role of an E fighter. This is very similar to what you could do in a hog, 152, P40, P47etc...which is why you see so many of the better sticks successfully fur ball them.

In the end all fights are lost not won, that is the simple reality of air combat. I'll go back to your comments on Manny and correlate them to my earlier ones. From your comment you achieved a "winning position" on Manny in both fights, yet he won both of them. Trace this back to my comment and Marks (Skyrock) earlier in this thread, both of us have no problem giving our 6 to a superior plane...in fact I'd say both of us get rather impatient waiting for the "smart" pilot to just hurry up and close in so we can get down to the business of killing them.

Here is a clip that illustrates my point of view on this. Again its an exceptional pilot who more often then not will beat me. Here he has the advantage and actually is out looking for me because we had the discussion on the BBS that I've never lost a 1 on 1 in the MA vs a mossie in the A-20. Without question M00t did everything "right" so the only left for me to do is attempt to manage relative plane and lift vector. As a trainer (again speaking past tense) it gets very hard very quickly with a good student. You start "intermediate training" from exactly the point that your at information wise, at some point you the trainer get pressed to open up the bag of "pilot tricks" and the progression to "vodoo ACM" begins. Obtaining a winning position doesn't mean the fight is over and the more experienced the pilot the more capable he is at defending the end game, we've got 3 guys in 71 squadron who can spot me there 6 at 1000 and beat me 50%+ of the time...

From both your comments here and your result with Manny I'd say your grasp at the macro level is very sound but your application at crunch time is still developing.  :salute
http://www.az-dsl.com/snaphook/A-20/A-20vsMossie.ahf     

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 15, 2009, 10:16:44 AM »
Here it is, if you cant find it Humble.
http://www.major.geek.nz/AKUAG/TheVault_Files/FilmDetails.aspx?name=spat_humble.zip
:aok :aok :salute

Thanks, I need to copy that again, fun fun fight....

Just watched that again from your end...got to love the F-20, dog that she is :rock
« Last Edit: November 15, 2009, 10:33:39 AM by humble »

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 15, 2009, 11:47:39 AM »
I certainly didn't mean to take over this thread, let me recap what my original points were and then I'll let it go....as always if you see me up feel free to ask anytime if you want to explore some of this a bit farther. As always my comments reflect a particular point of view with regard to overall ACM and should be counter balanced with contrasting viewpoints to find the "personality" that works for you. We all know that each plane has a somewhat unique performance profile with certain planes having seemingly insurmountable advantages. Yet we often see pilots have sustained and continuous success with the "lesser" rides, often from positions of apparent inferiority. How and why is this possible and what can the "average" pilot aspiring to improve take from this?

The primary lesson here (again my opinion) is simply an understanding that the "inferior" plane isn't inferior all the time. That within a surprisingly broad portion of the flight envelope its on an equal footing. The pilot in the inferior plane has to attempt to push the fight before it migrates away from this window of equality and en devour to keep it within the confines of this overlap. The secret lies in the understanding that the management of relative lift vectors negate any perceived advantage the other pilot thinks he has and pushes the fight squarely into a battle of ACM "X's & O's" independent of any potential performance advantantage on either side...in other words the fight is squarely centered inside the combatants overlapping "doghouse" charts. Here is this twilight zone of ACM the P40B is the clear equal of the spit XVI (or nikki)....take a look at spatulas view of our fight and tell me you can see any real difference in performance between my A-20 and (fill in the blank). It looks like a fighter, acts like a fighter and flies like a fighter because within that overlapping grey zone it is every bit a fighter. Looking at the film you can see how hard I'm pressing to keep the fight in that "grey zone" as long as I can.

Stealing Brookes line from the old Air Warrior training manual "I am above the unwashed masses and below the gods". None of this is absolute and I certainly am far from the ranks of the "uber sticks". The goal is here is to impart what is really intermediate level knowledge in a way that will allow you to fly whatever plane you chose with a measure of confidence and success that enhances your overall enjoyment of the game :salute