Author Topic: collied  (Read 5019 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: collied
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2009, 10:49:49 AM »
Yes.

Now could you answer mine? :)

I figured, now you know why I responded the way I did.  You guys are very quick to show films and diagrams and explain how stupid the players are for not getting it, but cannot provide a reason for having a future that does nothing for the players.  I can't remember of one time that this thing protected me from someone. 

I ll keep making people explode this way and then tell them it is their fault because their SA sucks lol  :rofl
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2009, 11:02:23 AM »
I figured, now you know why I responded the way I did.

No I don't. I was just asking for some clarification because I'm not sure if I understood you correctly, see my message above.
And instead of giving me an answer you are just dodging around having a lot of assumptions about my "true" motifs.

What exactly makes it so difficult to you to actually answer my question?

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2009, 11:04:17 AM »
I figured, now you know why I responded the way I did.  You guys are very quick to show films and diagrams and explain how stupid the players are for not getting it, but cannot provide a reason for having a future that does nothing for the players.  I can't remember of one time that this thing protected me from someone.
You don't know what you are talking about because you don't try to think about consequences, instead you just mock and "LOL" crap.

If there were no collisions in AH it would grossly distort the tactics, far beyond the current distortion, as compared to real world tactics.  It is very, very easy to get a gun solution when you can fire from 10 ft away as you fly through your target and having no collisions, or even just collisions only when both FEs detect a collision, would push this as the most desirable attack.  Maneuvers would be based on setting up the flight through your opponent so that you could get the kill from ranges at which you literally cannot miss.  Every time somebody did not fly through you on their FE, guns blazing, the current system protected you.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Simaril

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2009, 11:22:35 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Now you been collied for real, squeak.

Without a doubt, Hub had the best response to the OP.
Maturity is knowing that I've been an idiot in the past.
Wisdom is realizing I will be an idiot in the future.
Common sense is trying to not be an idiot right now

"Social Fads are for sheeple." - Meatwad

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
Boxboy, you know that legend on passenger side mirrors? "Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear"

Well because of lag, your enemy may be farther around the curve than he appears.
So even though from your end it looks like he's has not gotten far enough around to get a shot.
On his end he very well could have a shot.

As Lusche said, read the article on net lag on the trainers site.
http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/lag/lag.htm

The same weirdness happens with weapon damage but no one runs in here and screams about it.  How many times have you been "shot down" by a guy who "on your screen had NO shooting solution" but on his you were a big target.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 01:00:21 PM »
You don't know what you are talking about because you don't try to think about consequences, instead you just mock and "LOL" crap.

If there were no collisions in AH it would grossly distort the tactics, far beyond the current distortion, as compared to real world tactics.  It is very, very easy to get a gun solution when you can fire from 10 ft away as you fly through your target and having no collisions, or even just collisions only when both FEs detect a collision, would push this as the most desirable attack.  Maneuvers would be based on setting up the flight through your opponent so that you could get the kill from ranges at which you literally cannot miss.  Every time somebody did not fly through you on their FE, guns blazing, the current system protected you.

The only problem with that is that it really does not stop anyone from doing what you described.  If they are not afraid to get shot in the face, they are not afraid of maybe colliding in the process of getting shot in the face.  So, as I am sure you were able to read in my post, other than this benefit, what else do collisions provide us with and is the small percentage of the time that it supposedly helped me worth blowing up every time a BnZ attempt failed and the other plane just flew in front of me (just an example)?

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:04 PM »

What exactly makes it so difficult to you to actually answer my question?

Nothing, I thought I did

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2009, 01:03:12 PM »
The only problem with that is that it really does not stop anyone from doing what you described.  If they are not afraid to get shot in the face, they are not afraid of maybe colliding in the process of getting shot in the face.  So, as I am sure you were able to read in my post, other than this benefit, what else do collisions provide us with and is the small percentage of the time that it supposedly helped me worth blowing up every time a BnZ attempt failed and the other plane just flew in front of me (just an example)?

Um, what of the danger of flying through someone else's plane from *behind*? I.E, they are very close to overshooting, but can afford to shoot until the distance is 0 feet? Would greatly increse the difficulty of forcing anyone to overshoot.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2009, 01:27:21 PM »
Yeager, best explanation I can give you sir.

Imagine, for the purposes of explanation, that when you are in a 1vs 1 with an enemy plane.
That there are in fact 4 aircraft. Everything is run on your computer that has to do with you.
Ie Shooting, collisions etc. Same is true on his.

So its like the "Real you" pulling a towed target that looks like you. (he just sees the target, can't see you)
And the real him, pulling a target that looks like him. (you just see the target, you can't see him.

If you get guns on him, and "see" hits, it sends the data in a packet to his computer and his plane takes appropriate damage.

Now in a collision one side can run into the other guys target, ie the game detects that the 2 of you are in the same space. But on the other side lag makes things look slightly different. So on HIS end, he avoids the collision. He misses, the game does not detect both of you in the same space.

So you see it really does not matter who "ran" into who.

If you get a collision, you caused it, directly or indirectly.
There is virtually no way to "ram" someone where you won't take more damage than the person your trying to hit.

In order to truly do so would be like trying to run into him with your towed target. But because of lag you never know how long the rope towing it is! You would have to be out in front of him, swinging around hoping that he'll run into you.

And if he sees it, he'll probably try to miss it, or shoot it.

Many people have said they have done it, but no one has of yet ever submitted film proving a ram like this.

So, there is no ram.
If you collided, you take the damage.
If he didn't, he doesn't.

Its not real world where both planes fall, and it never will be.
Until we can have truly lag less internet, with zero ping and no packet loss.
Collisions will have to be modeled the way they are.

All you have to do is miss the collision on your end, and don't worry about what he see's on his.
Well, that and stay out of his guns of course. :)
Which is the real cause of most guys who end up in the tower cursing collisions.

I honestly understand this explanation.

But, it does not agree with the facts.  A plane coming from underneath another, colliding, will come through unscathed 9 out of 10 times.  Your explanation does not account for that.
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »
Why is it when ywo planes collied one plane seem's to fly away unscaved?If two planes collied shouldn't they both die,unlikely if two planes in real life collieded that :airplane: only one would die. :airplane:  :airplane:

I didn't know Collies flew.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 01:43:17 PM »

You are wrong and need to think more.  Stop thinking in stereotypes and exaggerating some behaviors to be the norm.

I don't feel like explaining to you all the ways in which this would be abused that is not currently abused.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline usvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2009, 01:51:22 PM »
I didn't know Collies flew.
Don't be silly,only Beagles fly.
"Come with me and I will show you where the Iron Crosses grow." -Unteroffizer/Feldwebel Rolf Steiner

~POTW-Second Wing~
http://www.pigsonthewing.org/index.php

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2009, 02:00:46 PM »
I honestly understand this explanation.

But, it does not agree with the facts.  A plane coming from underneath another, colliding, will come through unscathed 9 out of 10 times.  Your explanation does not account for that.

Mine does.  He is clear in his FE but you get rewarded with a collision.  Its ok, its a safe way to take out bombers.  Just tell them it was their SA being bad.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 02:06:54 PM »
You are wrong and need to think more.  Stop thinking in stereotypes and exaggerating some behaviors to be the norm.

I don't feel like explaining to you all the ways in which this would be abused that is not currently abused.

Well, I made my point and explained it.  You on the other hand is refusing to state any explanations.  Claiming you don't feel like explaining all the ways it can be abused is kind of lame dont you think?  Just state a couple.  It would have taken less effort than your post.

BTW, you are probably right, it could be abused like everything else.  If you bother to read my posts you will see that I said we need to compare the benefits it provides with the negatives and take it from there.  Very simple question really but 0 answers so far from the people with the videos and the diagrams.  I guess if we cant make a nube feel stupid we don't respond lol. 

We don't get to decide anyway.  HT does.  We can just talk about it.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 02:19:57 PM »
The benefit:

It promotes realistic maneuvering tactics.

The disadvantage:

Some people will whine.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-