Author Topic: PC Version Modern Warfare 2; Too Many Hacks to Enjoy MP?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
PC Version Modern Warfare 2; Too Many Hacks to Enjoy MP?
« on: November 11, 2009, 04:05:34 PM »
Went into town around midnight on the 9th to pick up a copy of the new Modern Warfare.  Great graphics; was having fun doing the storyline campaign!

Then I ventured into the world of Multiplayer.  I'm in NO way a great FPS kind of guy...most of what I try in games like that comes from my experiences as an infantryman at the 82nd Airborne; use of cover, watching for obvious lanes of fire an enemy might be using, working with my team to provide overwatch during movement, ect.  Usually I do ok though, racking up more kills than deaths at least  :salute

I can't tell you how many times I was instantly killed by a headshot from a LONG distance off while on a full run, or trying to take my time to find a great position only to get shot or knifed shortly after finding a decent fighting spot from someone who should have had no idea I was there.  I hadn't fired or moved to give away my spot.  Watching killcams would show them walking near me, then making a bee line to where I was at and immediately delivering lethal shots, sometimes through concealment where you couldn't even see I was there.  They'd get near me and open up on the wall or shrub I was using, and I'd be watching the kill from their point of view while I was respawning wondering how in the hell they knew where I was and where to shoot.  Was a bit frustrating to get my 3 or 4 kills during a match with over a dozen deaths, while there are people on the scoreboard game after game with 25+ kills and a only pair of deaths.  I even switched to the 'mercenary' arena (random team assignments) to see if it was just organized clans scoring so well, but that didn't turn out to be the case.

No kick option or moderated servers this time around, unlike the other Battlefields, Quakes or Call of Duties where mods could watch for weird activity...

Am I alone here being frustrated, or is this happening to anyone else playing the game?

Purple haze all in my brain
Lately things just don't seem the same
Actin' funny, but I don't know why

'Scuse me while I kiss the sky                 
                                                 --J. Hendrix

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
Re: PC Version Modern Warfare 2; Too Many Hacks to Enjoy MP?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 04:06:59 PM »
I have Modern Warfare on 360 PS3 and Wii, Xbox is by far the best!
Top Gun

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 04:09:07 PM »
Yah...fewer people out there modifying the game on the console versions, I bet.  Maybe if I could get a mouse/keyboard set up I could switch to that.  I have a PS3 and XBox 360, but really hate the controller.  Especially when they put 'auto-aim' in there to help out.

--J. Hendrix

Offline Warspawn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 04:11:35 PM »
If anyone gets free later and wants to send me a holler, I'm Desdicato on Steam, with desdicato@hotmail.com if you want to friend me there.  Or look up 'Warspawn' as my handle in-game...

--J. Hendrix

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 04:12:00 PM »
Then I ventured into the world of Multiplayer.  I'm in NO way a great FPS kind of guy...most of what I try in games like that comes from my experiences as an infantryman at the 82nd Airborne; use of cover, watching for obvious lanes of fire an enemy might be using, working with my team to provide overwatch during movement, ect.  Usually I do ok though, racking up more kills than deaths at least  :salute

Don't know what you play usually but that will never work in an FPS like CoD or Counter Strike, by my observation

I can't tell you how many times I was instantly killed by a headshot from a LONG distance off while on a full run, or trying to take my time to find a great position only to get shot or knifed shortly after finding a decent fighting spot from someone who should have had no idea I was there.  I hadn't fired or moved to give away my spot.  Watching killcams would show them walking near me, then making a bee line to where I was at and immediately delivering lethal shots, sometimes through concealment where you couldn't even see I was there.  They'd get near me and open up on the wall or shrub I was using, and I'd be watching the kill from their point of view while I was respawning wondering how in the hell they knew where I was and where to shoot.  Was a bit frustrating to get my 3 or 4 kills during a match with over a dozen deaths, while there are people on the scoreboard game after game with 25+ kills and a only pair of deaths.  I even switched to the 'mercenary' arena (random team assignments) to see if it was just organized clans scoring so well, but that didn't turn out to be the case.
It's just like Aces High, except there are people with far less amounts of 'life' who play. People are really ridiculously 'good' and any way to game the game is not looked down upon rather accepted and encouraged. FPS's are all reflexes and no thought.

Just my experience. That's why I don't play FPS.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 04:41:09 PM »
No dedicated servers, big no no
No moderation, big no no
VAC as hack prevention? NO NO!

IW CODMW2 for PC = FAIL
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2009, 06:16:09 PM »
There are a good chunk of people who play FPS that are insanely good at them.  That being said there is an even larger number of people that stoop to using everything gamey that they can find.  People hack FPS games has been the bane of the industry for as long as it's been around, even on moderated servers its a major problem. 
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2009, 12:13:34 AM »
Yep can't count how many hackers I've seen on punkbuster 'protected' servers. PB protects only against the casual google kid that finds old hacks. Some lamers actually pay to cheat and they have versions that go undetected by pb.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2009, 03:47:32 AM »
COD multiplayer: worst excuse for a war game ever produced.

If you want my advice Warspawn, get yourself a copy of ArmA2 for PC. Less hacking and much, much more tactical reward. Even an old copy of Operation Flashpoint Resistance is a far more enjoyable experience than COD multiplayer. Biggest waste of time and over-hyped product since online gaming was created, imo.

nazi zombies is fun though.  :aok 
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2009, 03:49:31 AM »
Yep can't count how many hackers I've seen on punkbuster 'protected' servers. PB protects only against the casual google kid that finds old hacks. Some lamers actually pay to cheat and they have versions that go undetected by pb.

servers need decent admins to stay on top of this stuff; server config, PB, PBBans and other MBLs like TWL help weed out most of it, but it requires active admins to police a server to keep it clean. the clanservers I used to play RTCW on had great admins and genuine hackers would never last more than 12h on their servers.
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 07:24:45 AM »
If they have admins in the servers watching them, prepare to start paying for the pleasure of your game online.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2009, 08:42:19 AM »
If they have admins in the servers watching them, prepare to start paying for the pleasure of your game online.

Don't we?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline trigger2

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2009, 08:53:41 AM »
Yup, which is exactly why IW obviously didn't think this "brilliant idea" through very well...

Motherland, the major difference between CoD games and AHII ("skill" wise) is this, in AHII, although you CAN get cheats, they're going to either be custom made or a real pain to find (for some $ of course), where as with the CoD series, if you know where to look, they're readily available for free, and they're designed to be "untraceable" by anti-hack software.
Sometimes, we just need to remember what the rules of life really are: You only
need two tools: WD-40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the
WD-40. If it shouldn't move and does, use the duct tape.
*TAs Aerofighters Inc.*

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2009, 09:21:16 AM »
Don't we?

If you are referring to AH then use we pay to play the online multiplayer portion, but not for the offline portion of the game.

Most FPS that have a multiplayer that is online.  They usually don't charge for the privilege of using their servers.  And most online FPS games that I have played, even the servers that were company owned, the admins couldn't be there all the time.  Even when they where there a lot of the times the hacker would still get away with it.

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2009, 09:31:20 AM »
Yah...fewer people out there modifying the game on the console versions, I bet.  Maybe if I could get a mouse/keyboard set up I could switch to that.  I have a PS3 and XBox 360, but really hate the controller.  Especially when they put 'auto-aim' in there to help out.

You can get a keyboard & mouse for either of them. Just google it.

and it's very likely people aren't cheating even when you think they are. I've been banned from hundreds of servers without cheating. Most people just think they're way better than they actually are.