Author Topic: New History Channel Program  (Read 4402 times)

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
Re: New History Channel Program
« Reply #45 on: November 17, 2009, 03:13:07 PM »
Why don't you go visit the graves of all our servicemen overseas. See if you feel any different.

I have (well, not all of them obviously). I still don't see why I need biased "historical" shows on TV.
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: November 17, 2009, 03:59:05 PM »
I have (well, not all of them obviously). I still don't see why I need biased "historical" shows on TV.

Why are you watching them if they so offend you?   What answers are you trolling for?      You say American TV shows about WW2 are Bias,  They are to a point, its called building morale for your country.   i can bet the Other Countries have there "perspective" on how the war looked to there Countries, make you a bet that China, Russia, England, France, have there own Shows that portray them as "Superior" in there Roles in WW2.     Anyone with a brain would know that it took ALL of the Countries no matter how big or small to pull together to achieve Victory.

I have no idea where your going with your Logic   :headscratch:
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: November 17, 2009, 04:01:33 PM »
The remake of Pearl Harbor was typically "by Americans for Americans", I thought it was just embarrassing. U-571 too, but at least Hollywood doesn't proclaim historical accuracy like the History or Discovery channels do. Sometime the bias is almost too obvious, like that "Top 10 fighters" show; P-51 won with the Spit coming second. The 109 got an honorable mention at number 7... the 262 wasn't mentioned with one word.

I agree with you about those two movies and the cringe reflex, but that's not even germane to the topic at hand here.  Your presumption is that because this is an american documentary that it does not convey 'truth'.  Well, I've seen a few episodes and though there is nothing earth shaking, it has portrayed events accurately based on the study I've done with regards the war.

The underlying theme though in your comment is that america is superficial though, an unsubstantiated sentiment that seems popular in the 'old-europe-blame-america-first' crowd.  This narrative is based on a jealousy of the hegemony the USA is able to convey across the world.  

Besides, everyone knows the P-51 was a better plane that the spitfire.  The spit served its purpose as a defensive plane and turn fighting well.  The 51 was much more instrumental in ending the war though when boom-zoom tactics proved most effective in the war of attrition (including it's range and speed advantage).    :rock

Offline DREDger

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: November 17, 2009, 04:03:57 PM »
Anyone with a brain would know that it took ALL of the Countries no matter how big or small to pull together to achieve Victory.

No, it mostly took the USA saving their ass.  But I agree with you on the other stuff.   :bolt:

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: November 17, 2009, 04:18:58 PM »
the 262 was not even a factor in WW2, too little too late.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2009, 04:20:58 PM »
The underlying theme though in your comment is that america is superficial though, an unsubstantiated sentiment that seems popular in the 'old-europe-blame-america-first' crowd.  This narrative is based on a jealousy of the hegemony the USA is able to convey across the world.  

No, that's not it at all.  Dredger, I love my country, but the vast majority of WW2 documentaries that come out of the USA are utter drivel.
Why are you watching them if they so offend you?   What answers are you trolling for?      You say American TV shows about WW2 are Bias,  They are to a point, its called building morale for your country.   i can bet the Other Countries have there "perspective" on how the war looked to there Countries, make you a bet that China, Russia, England, France, have there own Shows that portray them as "Superior" in there Roles in WW2.

That's totally irrelevant.  The ethics of professional journalism/history call for a higher standard, regardless of what country you call home.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:23:03 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2009, 04:21:37 PM »
Why are you watching them if they so offend you? 

I didn't say I was offended. Most of the shows are at least mildly entertaining, but I find the ego stroking unnecessary.

You say American TV shows about WW2 are Bias,  They are to a point, its called building morale for your country.

Isn't it then propaganda as a previous poster claimed?
It is better to be violent, if there is violence in our hearts, than to put on the cloak of nonviolence to cover impotence.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2009, 04:24:25 PM »
the 262 was not even a factor in WW2, too little too late.

But it was the best fighter by a 100 miles (per hour). The P-51 didn't win the war either (contrary to what you may have heard on TV).

-Gandhi

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2009, 04:25:27 PM »
. The P-51 didn't win the war either (contrary to what you may have heard on TV).

Sure did help though
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2009, 04:26:02 PM »
No, it mostly took the USA saving their ass.  But I agree with you on the other stuff.   :bolt:

I would say that Russia saved her own bellybutton in Europe, while America saved her own bellybutton in the Pacific, and thus the war was won.

-Gandhi

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2009, 04:29:50 PM »
Sure did help though

In a minute way perhaps. If the Pony had never existed the only difference would be more P-38's and new long-range Spitfires (they were being developed but canceled when the P-51 became available) over Berlin.

-Gandhi

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 04:31:08 PM »
I would say that Russia saved her own bellybutton in Europe

What would be the effect of USAAF not being in Europe to bomb the factories off the map?

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
What would be the effect of USAAF not being in Europe to bomb the factories off the map?

I think the question would be, what would have happened if the USAAF had wiped the factories off the map? The affect of the bombing campaigns against German is greatly exaggerated; German industry was very resilient and adaptive. Many industries, particularly aircraft production, actually peaked in 1944, not falling apart until the war was essentially lost.

However I think it's inaccurate to say that American support through industry (providing the UK and USSR war materiel throughout the conflict) was not vitally important, if not essential to the allied war effort.

I've never seen the history channel claim the USA won ww2. 
I don't mean this in any sarcastic or derogatory manner but do you watch the History Channel?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 04:39:35 PM by Motherland »

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:46 PM »
  The ethics of professional journalism/history call for a higher standard, regardless of what country you call home.

Ethics in Journalism seems like a Oxymoron in todays standards of Journalism, It's all about the sensationalism and the WOW factor, Throw it out there and prove it True or False later , Theres no ethics anymore its about "ratings"
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline Die Hard

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2009, 04:47:44 PM »

Three to six months perhaps? A few more dead Russians? The Allied strategic bombing campaign in Europe proved a failure. It wasn't until late 1944 that the German industry really started to feel the impact and by that time all the important battles on the Eastern Front had already been lost by the Germans and they were in full retreat. Moscow 1941-42, Stalingrad 1942, Kursk 1943. Truth be told the only important American contribution to the victory in Europe was the lend-lease support given to the Russians.

-Gandhi