Author Topic: Sapphire ATI 5850. (very basic AH2 benchmark, pics inside)  (Read 2227 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Sapphire ATI 5850. (very basic AH2 benchmark, pics inside)
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:46:47 AM »
I just installed my new Sapphire ATI 5850 and I thought some of you guys who might be looking to buy a new graphics card would appreciate a very basic AH2 benchmark. Frames per second are displayed in the top left corner.

All in all I'm very pleased, it destroys my Evga 8800GTX. (the one which conked out on me the other day)

Core I7 system

V-sync = off
Resolution = 1680x1050
AA = Maxed
Texture size = 1024
High resolution texture pack = Yes

« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 08:50:04 AM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
Re: Sapphire ATI 5850. (very basic AH2 benchmark, pics inside)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
Isn't your fps limited by your monitors refresh rate?

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:52:19 AM »
Isn't your fps limited by your monitors refresh rate?

Yes, or you can turn V-Sync off.    
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 11:03:04 AM »
Vsync off is never a good idea.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2009, 11:05:14 AM »
Vsync off is never a good idea.

You're jumping to conclusions, I merely answered his question correctly.   I never said it was a good idea, however you can "have 200FPS" show up on your screen, just like my "inadequate 8800GTS KO" can achieve.   

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2009, 11:34:36 AM »
I left Vsync off for testing, just showing how much head room there is.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
You're jumping to conclusions, I merely answered his question correctly.   I never said it was a good idea, however you can "have 200FPS" show up on your screen, just like my "inadequate 8800GTS KO" can achieve.   

No its you that are jumping to conclusions. Im just pointing out reality and I didnt even quote you.

Vsync off for testing is not a legitimate test.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »
No its you that are jumping to conclusions. Im just pointing out reality and I didnt even quote you.

Vsync off for testing is not a legitimate test.

And why not? What will your test show if you're limited to 60fps? There would be zero difference between a card that can barely peg 60fps and a card that can do 6000fps.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2009, 12:28:11 PM »
Because the number you see in the corner of the screen is NOT what the hardware is actually delivering but only what the card is delivering in the back buffer. Several of the screens your video card is drawing to the back buffer will never make it to the screen as they are overwritten... for instance frame 1 is delivered to back buffer and drawn to screen but the back buffer has already been updated to frame 3 when the screen draws its second frame... only vsync on gives you anything relevant.

And then you get to online play in AH... with vsync off you get rubber bullets... bad bad stuff.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
I've never had "rubber bullets" when playing online. :D

Well I'm getting solid 60FPS with the vsync on which matches my monitors refresh rate.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2009, 12:44:00 PM »
Because the number you see in the corner of the screen is NOT what the hardware is actually delivering but only what the card is delivering in the back buffer. Several of the screens your video card is drawing to the back buffer will never make it to the screen as they are overwritten... for instance frame 1 is delivered to back buffer and drawn to screen but the back buffer has already been updated to frame 3 when the screen draws its second frame... only vsync on gives you anything relevant.

And then you get to online play in AH... with vsync off you get rubber bullets... bad bad stuff.

That makes no difference chalenge the performance difference is shown regardless of the fact.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2009, 12:59:28 PM »
Testing frame rate with vsync off is legitimate.  Each frame update means a graphic loop was completed in the game's graphic engine.

Yes, data is lost if you try and play with vsync off, and it can cause 'rubber bullets' due to you not seeing what the game is seeing.

For test purposes, it is fine.  That is why we placed the control option in the Video Settings and also warned it is for test purposes only.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »
Testing frame rate with vsync off is legitimate.  Each frame update means a graphic loop was completed in the game's graphic engine.

Yes, data is lost if you try and play with vsync off, and it can cause 'rubber bullets' due to you not seeing what the game is seeing.

For test purposes, it is fine.  That is why we placed the control option in the Video Settings and also warned it is for test purposes only.

Absolutely.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 01:24:15 PM »
And yet it doesnt prove anything! You wont be running with it off in the game so what kind of test is it? I call that illegitimate.  :old:

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 01:25:59 PM »
So...if i buy a 120Hz monitor, will I get 120fps with vsync on?
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett