Author Topic: Spit9 do's don'ts  (Read 1919 times)

Offline Bosco123

• Gold Member
Re: Spit9 do's don'ts
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
SA is pretty important in the MA if your thinking about returning home safely.  So you have answered your own question there.  

The key to adding more kills per run is to convert evasives into kills, the BnZing ponies / 190's etc etc. With the slowish top speed / fragile wings and low fuel capacity compared with other rides.  Most of my additional kills come from baiting the enemy.  Give them the advantage and encourage them to attack by flying lower and level.  Let them get within shooting distance 800 odd and then bust some reversals, if they continue turning with you they are dead.

In a Co-E 1 on 1 you can defeat anyone.  

Be aggressive against planes you have sound advantages over that are prepared to stick around and fight you.  Other spits, 109's, f4u's, niki's, la's etc.  

Gunnery I usually take shots between 300-200 with my cannon.  Usually deflection shots in the turn whilst gaining on the enemy con.  Avoid taking rear 6 shots on faster cons above 400.  Spray the 303's see if you can get them turning.

Have a wingman this game is 10 times easier with one  ;)
+1 I even do the bait, hoping that they might actually turn with me after I reverse them.

I guess the obvious one is to not dive then pull up, or anything above 10K, Then go for straight deck. It's probably the most stabil spits when it comes to low E, and the guns are pretty good, as long as your not spraying, 6 is not a difficult task in one sortie.
<S>
Skifurd AKA "Bosco"
Unmanned Aerial Systems (UAS) Operator
United States Marine
"Stay ahead of the game, Stay ahead of the plane."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 08:23:15 PM »
Spit9.. great plane.. easy mode!

You're calling a 1942 plane which is about 50mph slower then all the late war crutch rockets "easy mode"? :rofl :cry :rofl

P-51D eny of 5
Mk. IX eny of 20

kkthxbuhbye.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 08:55:28 PM by Kazaa »

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 08:44:00 PM »
P-51D eny of 5
Mk. IX eny of 20

kkthxbuhbye.

Thus proving that we'd be just as well off setting our ENY numbers by gutting chickens and reading the entrails.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 08:54:45 PM »
Thus proving that we'd be just as well off setting our ENY numbers by gutting chickens and reading the entrails.

Haven't I told you this before? Speed is the biggest factor which goes into determining a planes eny.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
You're calling a 1942 plane which is about 50mph slower then all the late war crutch rockets "easy mode"? :rofl :cry :rofl

yep
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2009, 09:21:20 PM »

You're trying to deflect the issue by listing the year there. We all know your other arguments/complaints where you use that year as an excuse to request "better" spits.

Doesn't matter what year it's from, it's still modeled in this game as a very capable fighter. Even the up-boosted spit5 was a late/42 or early/43 plane, and it used to dominate the arenas by a vast majority.

Doesn't matter what year, matters how HTC happened to model it. In this game, they are quite.... "generous" ... with regards to spitfires.

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2009, 11:31:37 PM »
Haven't I told you this before? Speed is the biggest factor which goes into determining a planes eny.

Explain the K4 and Yak's ENY of 20, and the D9's ENY of 15.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2009, 11:39:48 PM »
Doesn't matter what year, matters how HTC happened to model it. In this game, they are quite.... "generous" ... with regards to spitfires.

This is a baseless comment until you provide documented evidence to back it up.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 12:19:25 AM »
Explain the K4 and Yak's ENY of 20, and the D9's ENY of 15.

No, you're a bright man and I'm sure you can work it out for yourself. I've got better things to do with my time then have an endless quote war with our forums masterdebaiter
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:30:23 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2009, 12:20:41 AM »
This is a baseless comment until you provide documented evidence to back it up.

What BS score do we give this on the Krusty meter?

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2009, 11:28:43 AM »
No, you're a bright man and I'm sure you can work it out for yourself. I've got better things to do with my time then have an endless quote war with our forums masterdebaiter

Translation: What you said was wrong, obviously wrong, and you'd rather make a snide comment than admit it. Typical and pathetic.

There is no "system" behind ENY rating that can be discerned. The P-51 and SpitIX's rating of 5 and 20 respectively is a disparity that does not track with their relative capabilities as fighting aircraft.

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2009, 11:58:39 AM »
I find the spit 9 more than capable...even in multi con engagements...the biggest thing (as for all engagements) is not getting fixated and watching what is about you....If you miss at first set up for the next (this should be happening in your mind in any case)...I found the 9 to be good for this when I was totally green and getting frustrated it gave me the ability to move on from the basic up get shot die...I was able to get into some turning fights and learn some do's and dont's...if you missed your shot or mucked up a turn/merge (as I did...and still do) you have enough of everything to compensate and regain what you lost....sometimes that is..
I found it a good platform for gunnery...for teaching myself gun discipline I used the 5 as it has half the ammo, well it has heaps of 303 ....but....yeah hahaha...this is actually my favorite of spits....
for some tips on spits you should try to tag along with the guys from 'The Few' if you can...the accent is a bit rough but it'll grow on you  :D.

one thing to remember, although what you learn in these can in the most part be carried forth to other planes in the set, you will find that the forgiving nature of the beast can get you into trouble and frustrated when you move around the hanger later......

Oh and one other thing....spitting in public is frowned upon   :lol :lol
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:03:03 PM by SPKmes »

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2009, 01:15:56 PM »
It handles well and turns fairly tight with flaps out, I thinks only the MK5 out turns it.  But with the flaps retracted the turn radius is larger than
all the other Spits.

I rarely put the flaps out in a Spit and I fly them all the time.  There are those rare occasions but for the most part you lose more in turn rate than you gain in radius advantage.  What the IX does have going for it is greater stability at extremely low speed than the XVI, a better roll rate than the I or the VIII, particularily at higher speeds, and more power than the I, V or Seafire.  I think it's the best handling of the Spits and if it had the .50 cal package I'd quit flying the XVI entirely.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline onan

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2009, 06:02:04 PM »
I rarely put the flaps out in a Spit and I fly them all the time. 

I've developed a habit of dropping the flaps at the top of low speed immelmans, to help me reach invert and roll level. usually after 2nd merge.  You are right when you say loss of turn rate occurs when flaps are used to decrease turn radius.  Took me a while to realise that one.  Am still very green and thought a tighter turn was always the winner. Not so. 
I think my biggest mistakes are based around when/when not to engage. Also getting my reversals quick/clean  and timed right would probably help.
Have been practicing vertical stall turns, kind of like going straight up then swinging the plane round to nose down without involving a roll.  having some luck but not something I can repeat time over.. Anyone know or have a film of the move?
Thanks for all the help so far though

<S>

KlunK

Offline DrDea

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2009, 07:44:10 PM »
  Just remember,if ya fly the Spit9 fly the pink paint scheme. :aok
The Flying Circus.Were just like you.Only prettier.

FSO 334 Flying Eagles. Fencers Heros.