Author Topic: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)  (Read 30407 times)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
Re: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
yea umm re read the thread ...

i posted expert opinions ...

i have other places i can talk to hitech ...

i never mentioned the ki61 here ...

as i showed earlier BnZ started the pot stirring about TRW ...

but thanks for keeping up as usual ...

Opinion are a dime a dozen..... you still lack fact.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2009, 10:11:23 PM »
yea umm re read the thread ...

i posted expert opinions ...

i have other places i can talk to hitech ...

i never mentioned the ki61 here ...

as i showed earlier BnZ started the pot stirring about TRW ...

but thanks for keeping up as usual ...

I never said you did.   I merely asked you to "Debunk" anything about the Ki-61, including an excellent Japanese source, except the Turn Radius.   You couldn't, so you took the back pedal approach.

-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2009, 10:14:32 PM »
  And by the way a good pilot in a soupty plane can beat a soupty pilot in a good plane. 
Put 2 pilots who are a close fight into a 1v1, one in any hog, one in a 109.....the Hog will win if the 109 cant get an E advantage

....my 2 cents
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2009, 11:12:10 PM »
Opinion are a dime a dozen..... you still lack fact.

at least i have a qualified unbiased expert opinion to refer to ...

you guys just have each other here in cartoon land ...

4 months now ...

and counting ...
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »
I've seen what the P40 can do, and I can see the P40 winnning many of the fights. Suprised it's not flown more in the MAs. I'll fly it tonight and show it's ability.

Its not because when the bad guy looks at it, the flaps get damaged lol.  Also, once the bad guy realizes he lost advantage all he has to do is fly away and the p40 will never see him again until it engages someone else lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2009, 09:09:31 AM »
Overall the hog is probably the single most versatile WW2 plane ever built outside of F7F, however fundamental principles of ACM show that unless a plane is double superior the plane with the inherently greater E state will control the fight unless initiating combat from an inferior position. The 38 is tricky since while it has clear advantages in rate of climb it is inferior in raw speed under about 25,000 ft. So in the end a well flown fight involves the hog constantly sniping at the 38 while the 38 tries to take the fight higher and higher. The flip side here is the 109k which is a clearly superior plane to the hog in a 1 on 1 fight. If you lose a fight to a hog in a 109K you either can't fly or can't shoot...end of story. Same goes for the pony, in the end the pony has to lose the fight...

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 09:12:04 AM »
at least i have a qualified unbiased expert opinion to refer to ...

you guys just have each other here in cartoon land ...

4 months now ...

and counting ...

I am still waiting for this "qualified unbiased expert" to fly AcesHigh and give their opinion on the Flight Model here.  I don't recall any of them ever chiming in on any thread you have posted in.  So please show me where they said anything even remotely close to "thorism is correct in his assessment of the AcesHigh flight model".

4 months now...

and counting...

still waiting...

Might I add we have several players here in AcesHigh cartoon land that could probably teach most so called "experts" a thing or three.  Players such as WideWing have forgotten more than most anybody will ever learn about WW2 aircraft.

Aerospace engineers? (or similar) yup they have chimed in an said you are wrong.
Real world pilots?  many have stated how totally wrong your assement of the AH FM is.
(I could go on an on here)

Not sure what you are expecting Thorism.

Your argument failed many threads ago when all the flaws in your reasoning were pointed out to you.  (HiTech himself has told you how off base you are)

Ok, you got a youtube video that says what again?

Do remind me how anything in that video has to do with the AcesHigh flight model and how it is incorrect?

Show me where your "expert" backs your argument up.  
(just to add, it was allready proven in a prior thread that it didn't and Thorism is just not willing to let it go)

If I remember right, after watching that clip, I thought to myself "yup, pretty much how it is in AH".
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 09:24:47 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2009, 09:44:47 AM »
Ahh lute forget it. Thor can't produce so he constantly bickers about the modling in here. Even though he has no hard information. Reminds me of the carny looking in the crystal ball.

HiTech only uses the factual information available.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2009, 09:57:48 AM »
finally took a look at the clip....

the 1st thing that strikes you in the lack of conceptual awareness of air combat. When you listen to actual WW2 pilots (on both sides) they make entirely different points and have a much better factual understanding of relative strengths and weaknesses specific to real world applications of the weapons platform. Taken in the context of actual conversations from "real" fighter pilots the overall fight between a 109E and a spitfire I is very in character, so is the 109F vs the spitfire V and F4F/P-40/P-39 vs A6M2/5 etc.

In fact the only real weakness I can see id the relatively uber performance of the late war 109's in comparison to the P51 where the real world climb performance of the pony seems significantly better then what is modeled here.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline SkyRock

• Platinum Member
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »

Triton28 - "...his stats suggest he has a healthy combination of suck and sissy!"

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: December 10, 2009, 10:35:12 AM »
OK ladies, in my opinion, every one is wrong.   Every time people complain about the models the fun club comes out to explain how perfect they are.  Then HT makes changes to the models and they are perfect again.  Then more changes and they are perfect again.  Really???  Who cares?  They are just models and no matter how accurate the numbers are, there is some code behind them that interprets them.  There is only so mach that can be modeled accurately by software.

My point is, these are not real WWII planes.  They are software emulated aircraft  based on the accuracy of the numbers, the quality of the modeling, and the bias of the creator.  I am sure an attempt to make them as accurate as possible was made but at the end, no one in here can claim that these things fly like the real thing.  I do things every day in them that just feel like physics was not invented yet lol.  We do things in these planes that real WWII pilots would not even consider.  However we worry about how accurate the models are?

Why is it a problem anyway?  It is a game and as long as the planes are different and exhibit most of the traits of the original stuff, its all good.  I would love to have the models be 100% to what a real WWII plane was but that is just impossible.

Claiming the models are perfect and then changing them while we attack everyone complaining about them is funny lol.  Every improvement is welcomed and going around telling things are perfect gives no one a reason to improve things.  How would you know anyway?  Because they told you they are or because you flew every single one of these planes in WWII and you remember how they handle?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #86 on: December 10, 2009, 10:47:06 AM »
funny since the first guy interviewed interviewed in that clip was the very same expert they interviewed about the 109 on showdown air combat ...

apparently they i.e. the military channel thought his input was as valuable as Bud Anderson's ...

but of course you "experts" feel different ...

BTW did anybody see the red bull barcelona?

there was an interesting clip about the importance on weight and it's effects on similar aircraft during high-g maneuvers, it did not look to good for heavier aircraft and energy retention under high-g maneuvers ...

you guys had better sort out your excuses for that discussion as well,
of course what do the red bull guys know about flying, right ...

I am still waiting for this "qualified unbiased expert" to fly AcesHigh and give their opinion on the Flight Model here.  I don't recall any of them ever chiming in on any thread you have posted in.  So please show me where they said anything even remotely close to "thorism is correct in his assessment of the AcesHigh flight model".

4 months now...

and counting...

still waiting...

Might I add we have several players here in AcesHigh cartoon land that could probably teach most so called "experts" a thing or three.  Players such as WideWing have forgotten more than most anybody will ever learn about WW2 aircraft.

Aerospace engineers? (or similar) yup they have chimed in an said you are wrong.
Real world pilots?  many have stated how totally wrong your assement of the AH FM is.
(I could go on an on here)

Not sure what you are expecting Thorism.

Your argument failed many threads ago when all the flaws in your reasoning were pointed out to you.  (HiTech himself has told you how off base you are)

Ok, you got a youtube video that says what again?

Do remind me how anything in that video has to do with the AcesHigh flight model and how it is incorrect?

Show me where your "expert" backs your argument up.  
(just to add, it was allready proven in a prior thread that it didn't and Thorism is just not willing to let it go)

If I remember right, after watching that clip, I thought to myself "yup, pretty much how it is in AH".

well you also seem to be having trouble following the threads, i posted the video when BnZ posted this ...

P-51s were known to be competitive with 109Gs in turning combat. You cannot debate this, oh lover of pilot anecdotes, since there are far too many pilot reports of P-51s winning Luftberrys with 109s. (You are not allowed to question the context of these results, since you have made it abundantly clear that you believe that flight physics as the rest of the world knows them have no bearing on flight performance.) And that the F4U owned P-51s in mock turning dogfight is also known...so what does this tell us?

if you watch to the whole clip video games are addressed ...

finally took a look at the clip....

the 1st thing that strikes you in the lack of conceptual awareness of air combat. When you listen to actual WW2 pilots (on both sides) they make entirely different points and have a much better factual understanding of relative strengths and weaknesses specific to real world applications of the weapons platform. Taken in the context of actual conversations from "real" fighter pilots the overall fight between a 109E and a spitfire I is very in character, so is the 109F vs the spitfire V and F4F/P-40/P-39 vs A6M2/5 etc.

In fact the only real weakness I can see id the relatively uber performance of the late war 109's in comparison to the P51 where the real world climb performance of the pony seems significantly better then what is modeled here.

i am pretty sure those guys do a lot of chatting with combat pilots of all types considering what they do with airplanes ...

as far as what they are comparing once again i point out that i was responding to BnZ who is the one who started all this in this thread as i was originally commenting on what advantages should be exploited by the f4u pilot vs. the 109s in the game.

it is amusing though how you cartoon guys disrespect and dismiss pilots who are so respected by other real pilots because their real world experience differed than the situation in your cartoon game.

pretty telling actually.  

Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #87 on: December 10, 2009, 10:50:15 AM »
OK ladies, in my opinion, every one is wrong. 

:aok
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #88 on: December 10, 2009, 12:06:58 PM »
One problem in saying what a "109" should do relative any other aircraft is that the thing was in service long enough to go from being a relatively lightly wing-loaded craft to a heavily loaded rocket-sled.

I am not actually surprised by a 109 sustaining a higher rate of turn than the P-51D, given the physics of the thing. (This is EXACTLY what happens in AHII, btw) However, YOU wish to dismiss physics (because it disagrees with you) and go purely by pilot anecdote. Thus you have absolutely no right to question the numerous war-time pilot accounts of winning turning fights P-51 vs. 109. One anecdote trumps another. In actuality, this makes us come full circle, the only way to determine who is "right" being the hard science which eludes you.

I do not claim perfection for the flight model BTW. Speaking from a physics perspective, the oddest duck I know in the game is the P-51. The P-51, an aircraft whose stall speed is usually listed at 100mph clean, cannot sustain as tight a turn radius in clean configuration as the P-47D-11, whose stall speed is usually listed at 105mph clean. This simply makes no sense. This incidentally, is also in direct disagreement with every pilot who flew both types and numerous German impressions of the strength and weaknesses of both types. So if you wish to kvitch about something, make it that.

funny since the first guy interviewed interviewed in that clip was the very same expert they interviewed about the 109 on showdown air combat ...

apparently they i.e. the military channel thought his input was as valuable as Bud Anderson's ...
What the military channel does or does not think is irrelevant. The point remains, since you have dismissed the notion of using physics to determine which aircraft is more maneuverable and wish to go with pilot "experience", then EVERY pilot's experience counts, Not just the ones who agree with you.
Including the experiences of combat and test pilots in WWII who, for whatever reason, felt like the 109 was clearly less nimble than the P-51. BTW, this is something you cannot dismiss as "lies and propaganda" either, because knowingly disseminating false information about enemy a/c capabilities could have been *lethal* to your fellow pilots, and thus was a no-no.

Also one wonders why they would readily admit that Zeros out turn our craft, but lie about German aircraft capacities, with potentially lethal results...

BTW did anybody see the red bull barcelona?

there was an interesting clip about the importance on weight and it's effects on similar aircraft during high-g maneuvers, it did not look to good for heavier aircraft and energy retention under high-g maneuvers ...

Energy loss in maneuvering comes from the massive increase in drag caused by the wing being at higher angles of attack. All other factors being equal, a more heavily wing-loaded aircraft must use a higher AoA to achieve the same G as a more lightly loaded one, and thus induce more drag. This has absolutely nothing to do with the absolute mass of the aircraft in and of itself!  Until you bother to learn some very basic principles of aerodynamics like this, you attempting to criticize *anyone's* flight model will remain a laughable proposition. You might try cracking a book instead of watching Youtube clips all day.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:16:04 PM by BnZs »
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #89 on: December 10, 2009, 12:11:09 PM »
OK ladies, in my opinion, every one is wrong.   Every time people complain about the models the fun club comes out to explain how perfect they are.  Then HT makes changes to the models and they are perfect again.  Then more changes and they are perfect again.  Really???  Who cares?  They are just models and no matter how accurate the numbers are, there is some code behind them that interprets them.  There is only so mach that can be modeled accurately by software.

My point is, these are not real WWII planes.  They are software emulated aircraft  based on the accuracy of the numbers, the quality of the modeling, and the bias of the creator.  I am sure an attempt to make them as accurate as possible was made but at the end, no one in here can claim that these things fly like the real thing.  I do things every day in them that just feel like physics was not invented yet lol.  We do things in these planes that real WWII pilots would not even consider.  However we worry about how accurate the models are?

Why is it a problem anyway?  It is a game and as long as the planes are different and exhibit most of the traits of the original stuff, its all good.  I would love to have the models be 100% to what a real WWII plane was but that is just impossible.

Claiming the models are perfect and then changing them while we attack everyone complaining about them is funny lol.  Every improvement is welcomed and going around telling things are perfect gives no one a reason to improve things.  How would you know anyway?  Because they told you they are or because you flew every single one of these planes in WWII and you remember how they handle?

Dedalos,  I think for many including myself this is more than a game it's a chance to step back in time and see what it was like. The history is a big attraction, which is why there are so many historical accounts that make their way to the boards. I think it's OK that people discuss how acurate it is for the purpose of understanding how close this is to actual history. "Will the things I've heard play out."  The answer isn't 0% and it isn't 100% but where it is in between seems like a good topic for discussion and improvement is something to strive for.

So how does one know. I think there are two ways.
1) Plot all the model data from AH in comparison with the actual test data from real planes from the era.

2) In the absense of 1. You examine historical accounts and tweak the models until similar results to real world are observed. This is a statistical process corrupted by many factors, but it's all you have so you do the best you can.

In Thorism defense, I think he keeps asking for #1. but no one seems to have it, or if they do, they are not publishing it, and in respose he gets a lot of #2 types answers.  
True one could flight test the AH planes in the sim and produce the test data  for AH, but where does one get the test data for the real world plane to compare it to? So #1 is the best answer to the question but un-availible.
#2 is the next best thing, but of course all the aguments about the other factors being a bigger influence than the plane's pure performance are true.  Did the 109 pilot that  'Bud' Andersen shot down fly to the perfect edge of his plane's flight envelope? Or did he panic and pull too hard slowing his plane to a crawl where a cool and experience American ace shot him down?  happens in the arena all the time. New pilots in good planes get waxed by experienced pilots in crap planes (for rem tards on free dinners).  But these victories and defeats and thier similarities to 'stories' from real life are not the final answer on flight model acuracy. They just be the best way we have to make the estimates, in the absense of the flight test envelopes.  

Who is John Galt?