Author Topic: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)  (Read 30449 times)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
Re: Plane vs Plane Tactics (Matchups)
« Reply #90 on: December 10, 2009, 12:13:44 PM »
Ded: I'm not going to tell you that every aspect of the flight model is right. However, this thing of people constantly claiming the F4Us shouldn't turn well because "they are big and heavy" is irritating and gets old. It is EXACTLY like claiming that heavier objects should fall faster than light ones, or that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because you know it is just so darn intuitively "right".

OK ladies, in my opinion, every one is wrong.   Every time people complain about the models the fun club comes out to explain how perfect they are.  Then HT makes changes to the models and they are perfect again.  Then more changes and they are perfect again.  Really???  Who cares?  They are just models and no matter how accurate the numbers are, there is some code behind them that interprets them.  There is only so mach that can be modeled accurately by software.

My point is, these are not real WWII planes.  They are software emulated aircraft  based on the accuracy of the numbers, the quality of the modeling, and the bias of the creator.  I am sure an attempt to make them as accurate as possible was made but at the end, no one in here can claim that these things fly like the real thing.  I do things every day in them that just feel like physics was not invented yet lol.  We do things in these planes that real WWII pilots would not even consider.  However we worry about how accurate the models are?

Why is it a problem anyway?  It is a game and as long as the planes are different and exhibit most of the traits of the original stuff, its all good.  I would love to have the models be 100% to what a real WWII plane was but that is just impossible.

Claiming the models are perfect and then changing them while we attack everyone complaining about them is funny lol.  Every improvement is welcomed and going around telling things are perfect gives no one a reason to improve things.  How would you know anyway?  Because they told you they are or because you flew every single one of these planes in WWII and you remember how they handle?
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: December 10, 2009, 12:31:11 PM »
walks away

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience"

« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:34:31 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #92 on: December 10, 2009, 12:34:43 PM »
I am still waiting for this "qualified unbiased expert" to fly AcesHigh and give their opinion on the Flight Model here.  I don't recall any of them ever chiming in on any thread you have posted in.  So please show me where they said anything even remotely close to "thorism is correct in his assessment of the AcesHigh flight model".

His 'qualified unbiased expert' was some F-16 driver that plays WB that thorsim quoted in another thread to show how the flight model in AH was way off.  Unfortunately for thorsim it kind of blew up in his face when someone else posted the link to the entire thread with the qualified unbiased expert's comments.  Turns out the 'qualified unbiased expert' was talking about WB and not AH and even made the comment in his post that WB's flight model went into the crapper after HiTech, Pyro, Killer and others left for greener pastures.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: December 10, 2009, 12:38:47 PM »
Ded: I'm not going to tell you that every aspect of the flight model is right. However, this thing of people constantly claiming the F4Us shouldn't turn well because "they are big and heavy" is irritating and gets old. It is EXACTLY like claiming that heavier objects should fall faster than light ones, or that the Sun revolves around the Earth, because you know it is just so darn intuitively "right".

I don't know about turning ability, but I have read many accounts of it having a wicked stall. So much so they called it the Ensign Eliminator.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline BnZs

• Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: December 10, 2009, 12:44:06 PM »

I don't know about turning ability, but I have read many accounts of it having a wicked stall. So much so they called it the Ensign Eliminator.

The issue I've read about with F4Us is their being difficult to recover from a spin (per Kershner's account) and showing a strong tendency to groundloop. The F4U evinces both tendencies in AHII.
"Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture, torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals."

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #95 on: December 10, 2009, 12:45:15 PM »
I will tell you this: Thorsim has brought pure comical entertainment back to the AH boards.  DO NoT Chase him away  :cheers:
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:51:28 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: December 10, 2009, 01:08:15 PM »

Yeah. Because inexperienced pilots on landing approach began to stall and firewalled the throttle to compensate. The sudden addition of torque flipped the plane on its back and, at the low altitudes of a carrier landing, with generally fatal results.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #97 on: December 10, 2009, 01:20:15 PM »

Have you seen the training video for the F4U, where they show video footage of the stall?

Here's a link to it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-PwTTQz6Zw&feature=PlayList&p=3686025276C385A2&index=16

This is a shorter "2nd half" of the original full-length film.  The stalls are shown just a few minutes in...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:25:31 PM by mtnman »
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #98 on: December 10, 2009, 01:24:00 PM »
Have you seen the training video for the F4U, where they show video footage of the stall?

no I haven't, do you have a link?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #99 on: December 10, 2009, 01:26:27 PM »
Yeah. Because inexperienced pilots on landing approach began to stall and firewalled the throttle to compensate. The sudden addition of torque flipped the plane on its back and, at the low altitudes of a carrier landing, with generally fatal results.

What I have read seamed to suggest that right around the stall speed, the left wing would drop without warning, very quickly. This, was one of the reasons they initially were relegated to land fields and not carriers.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:28:26 PM by Ardy123 »
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #100 on: December 10, 2009, 01:28:13 PM »
no I haven't, do you have a link?

I added the link in my original post.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #101 on: December 10, 2009, 01:33:18 PM »
I added the link in my original post.

Very cool, yeah the stall with the sudden wing drop was described.
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #102 on: December 10, 2009, 01:38:26 PM »
Been a while since I watch it, but IIRC, there was no instant flipping onto the back that people seem to THINK the Corsair should do. The wing dips and she starts to crab to the left, but can be very quickly recovered before rolling over.

Which incidentally, is exactly what happens with stalls in the game....
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline betty

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: December 10, 2009, 01:41:13 PM »
Greetings  :)

The purpose of this query is specific to individual planes fighting AGAINST the F4U-1A, not talking about furballs, just how each plane listed below fares against the hog, man to man, individually:

F4U vs P38: found this to be a very iffy situation, the win could go either way, a difficult proposition, pilot skill a determining factor.

F4U vs P40?
   F4U vs spit9 or spit16?
   F4U vs BF109s?
   F4U vs FW 190D?
   F4U vs Ki84
   F4U vs P51

Corsair experts are invited to add their opinions, experiences & skills,
your treatises PLUS FILMS are requested, in fact, encouraged.  Thx .

MY TIFF O DOOM OWNS ALL!! WOOT WOOT!!! :D
~~~The Killuminati~~~                                                     

!!!!!POTIUS MORI QUAM FOEDARI!!!!

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #104 on: December 10, 2009, 01:45:40 PM »
I have seen F4Us perform incredible manoevers in game that I have never seen any other plane perform in game.  I do not question it.  It is a game and some people in this game have more hours on a gamers joystick in ten years than any career air force pilot can get flight hours in an entire 30 year career,  Not to mention combat hours.  Its crazy insania to even try to compare the game to any version of reality.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 01:52:40 PM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns