Author Topic: Avatar: moo-vee  (Read 4566 times)

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
Re: Avatar: moo-vee
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 03:53:07 PM »
Just not really interested in going to see it and neither are my two boys. So when its out on DVD in a few weeks we will rent it at the Redbox for $1. Then they will get my money.

Just got back. Boy is that a movie!!!!

Your never going to get that experience from a DVD. You have to see it 3D on the big screen.

"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 03:55:31 PM »
Just got back. Boy is that a movie!!!!

Your never going to get that experience from a DVD. You have to see it 3D on the big screen.

Question...will it be around the same if I eventually buy the DVD, get a pair of 3D glasses, and watch it on my projector at home? Screen would be about 10 feet wide...

Serious question.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 04:02:39 PM »
Wish I could see 3D, but being almost blind in one eye doesn't allow me to see it, I'll still go see the 2D version.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 06:01:48 PM »
Question...will it be around the same if I eventually buy the DVD, get a pair of 3D glasses, and watch it on my projector at home? Screen would be about 10 feet wide...

Serious question.

Mom will let you lug home a large 3D screen?

Seriously.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:09 PM »
LOL .. wife and I took our 3 grand daughters to see it ..youngest is 13 ..she asked how they got the people's costumes to fit so well.

They were glued to the screen, completely silent (rare doesn't begin to describe *that*) throughout the movie :)

We saw it in 2d, -lol- .. Kathy bought the tickets then asked where the 3d glasses were? .. LOL .. err .. I hated to point out
that that theater wasn't even showing 3d, the ticket guy did that admirably well, not even laughing (amazing self control as it broke me up)

It was very good, but the 3d definitely adds to the immersion in many areas.

-GE aka Frank
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2009, 06:38:38 PM »
I still dont have the slightest idea what the movie is about..........Previews make no sense at all
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2009, 06:57:57 PM »
I still dont have the slightest idea what the movie is about..........Previews make no sense at all

Its about a crippled Marine who goes to a foreighn planet "Pandora" to co-exist with a genetic mix of a Pandorean and his brother. His brother being a famous scientist who got kilt. Because this marine is such a close DNA mis with his brother they want to use him instead of growing another pandoran clone, which I gather is very expensive and takes a long time.

The clone is an actual being, a mix of pandoran and human. they put the marine into a special bed and upload his mind into the clone. Bingo! Now he can move around in his pandoaran body. BTW the reason they are doing this is two fold. #1 Pandora is chock full of a special mineral ore they need, one worth gazzillions an ounce. #2 there is a a science team that is studying the planet and its inhabitants, a Indian type humanoid that still shoots bows and arrows.

So this marine, Skully, goes in. Meets a pandoran girl and gets into all kinds of adventures. Eventually he realizes the humans just want to screw the Pandorans over and ends up switching sides. In a nutshell there it is. its sort of like Dances With Wolves on LSD.

Yes the story is starting to get old but the visuals/audio is worth it.

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2009, 09:57:58 PM »
That's rare for me, the last movie I couldn't bear to watch until the end was Zoolander  ;)

Some people just don't appreciate the comedic value of freak, gasoline fight accidents :)

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2009, 06:41:58 PM »
The *very* cool thing about Avatar is ..
..now they have the tech to do Dragon Rider's of Pern
.. and The Ship Who Sang
.. and ..perhaps Starship Troopers using the actual book instead of just the title
.. Hammer's Slammers ..
.. so many others :)

-GE

'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Sonicblu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2009, 06:48:00 PM »
AS far as the storyline...well it seemed to me like "(The Matrix + Dances with Wolves) in Space".  Thats not meant as a knock, just something I noticed.

LOL That is what my wife said as we left the theater. I thought it was more like Fern gully the kids cartoon. So we settled on (Dances with wolves + Fern Gully )

Have to say i was impressed I had low expectations going into it. Other than a little eviornmental mumbo jumbo it was a neat flick. :D

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2009, 06:51:38 PM »
That one Pandoran chick is hot. I'd hit that. Best of all, she likes to hunt. OK so now you can join the 5 mile high club with the Pandoran chick and your own flying Lizard. :banana: But you best hope the Winged Lizard from Hades dont happen upon you both at a bad time. :x then :uhoh then  :pray and then either  :angel: or  :devil depending.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 11:48:20 AM »
I'm guesiing it's Last Samuri meets Star Wars. Probably best new movie to see around christmas.
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline OSU

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Boring. Sorry, but that's what it felt like. The storyline was WAY too predictable. I know this is some huge bias on my part, but I really hated how they portrayed the military. It was practically like what Hollywood and the liberal media think of Iraq, just on a different planet. I could not stand that at all. I would've preferred to see Invictus (really excited about that one) or Old Dogs again (laughed my rear off in that movie). The visuals were some of the best I've ever seen, though. The 3D version was stunning.
If I can't win, I die. But if I win, I live. And I can't win if I don't fight.
--Mikasa Ackerman

Offline Paxil

• Copper Member
      • http://marathontoathens.blogspot.com
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 02:31:42 PM »
I absolutely loved it. Best movie I have seen in a long long time.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 02:35:17 PM »
Wish I could see 3D, but being almost blind in one eye doesn't allow me to see it, I'll still go see the 2D version.
Same here trax.  We are planning on going to see it early Christmas day.  There is an 11:00am 2D showing.  Hopefully it will not be too crowded.

So many films we would like to see.  Sherlock Holmes looks fun too.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 02:37:04 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com