Author Topic: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!  (Read 14325 times)

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
Re: Wings of Prey, PC beta release!
« Reply #30 on: December 26, 2009, 04:11:47 PM »
Looks sweet!!   Does anyone know if there is a free trial or do you have to buy it?
Not really looking to pay $50 for a game I don't like or won't run on my PC.

There's going to be a demo released after the holidays are over.

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2009, 04:21:26 PM »
Cool, if you can let us know when it comes out, I'd love to give it a try.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
Kazaa I purchased it.....looks nice.  Once I can get the controls situated I hope I can fly the dang thing.  Push stick forward...plane goes up etc.

The need HTCs version of how to setup controls.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
Hajo, there's a reverse axis button when you go to assign a certain axis as input.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 06:38:30 PM »
kazaa, Ill get it tomorrow and then I can shoot your spit down in my 109  :noid
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline Killer91

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2009, 12:43:28 AM »

Oh ok thanks I'll keep an eye out for it. :)
someone named pervert is thanking someone named badboy for a enjoyable night?

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 08:40:07 AM »
I don't think I'll purchase it.Every time I try a flight sim ,I just mess with it for a short time,and end up back to Aces High.The IL 2 series has always looked good,but there is things I don't like,gunnery is tough,making me look like a real dinger in AH...I suck!!!.The flight model is arcadish,and Aces High's flight model seems well done,but Ive never flown a real WW II fighter.I really liked the German military song that plays during the U Tube trailer.I have a lot of German military marches I listen to when I play my submarine sim Silent Hunter III.I don't have any problem with swastikas,music,etc. being in a game,but some do.I say to each his own,and I like realism in my sims.So,I won't be purchasing it,unless I read some really great reviews.The last thing I need is another hanger queen.I'm old and set in my ways.
ID

Offline Stratocaster

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 10:54:10 PM »
I almost crapped myself when I tried the demo (downloaded torrent) I am about to purchase the full version... It is a nice distraction from AH, I know I will stick with both, but the graphics and immersion are unreal.
Strat

∼<<∼Loose Deuce∼>>∼

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2009, 06:47:43 AM »
I found the demo for the game, I guess this demo was put out at first, it was the whole game, 6GB, but only has 2 planes unlocked, then they decided to make a new demo that was smaller, around 1.5GB, which they say will be out soon, but if you want to try it now here's the link, I'm downloading it, it downloads through a torrent so it's fairly fast, mine says it's only gonna take about 2 hours to finish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynle0rontzz
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 06:49:36 AM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2009, 02:22:16 PM »
I found the demo for the game, I guess this demo was put out at first, it was the whole game, 6GB, but only has 2 planes unlocked, then they decided to make a new demo that was smaller, around 1.5GB, which they say will be out soon, but if you want to try it now here's the link, I'm downloading it, it downloads through a torrent so it's fairly fast, mine says it's only gonna take about 2 hours to finish.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ynle0rontzz

it took all of 10 seconds to download for me, but what do I use to open it with?

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2009, 02:35:34 PM »
it took all of 10 seconds to download for me, but what do I use to open it with?
That would be because all you downloaded was the torrent file, you need to use a program called BitTorrent to then open that file and download the game.

Here's a link to where you can download the BitTorrent client and start downloading the demo.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
That would be because all you downloaded was the torrent file, you need to use a program called BitTorrent to then open that file and download the game.

Here's a link to where you can download the BitTorrent client and start downloading the demo.

http://www.bittorrent.com/

:lol

thanx

(I can be a tard--I used to have Bittorrent ) totally forgot, soon as the downloading screen came up DOH used to get a lot of movies and songs this way.

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 29, 2009, 03:00:47 AM »
Just posting a a link to a review which a player just posted on the forum, hope this helps.

http://forum.yuplay.com/index.php?showtopic=602
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 03:06:32 AM by Kazaa »

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #43 on: December 29, 2009, 06:35:44 AM »
Just had a little session online, once I  got over the fact that it wasn't AH2, it was very, very enjoyable. I must have crashed more times then I got shot down because my engine kept blowing up due to my lack of engine management. :D

It was great fun, even though I had to use my mouse for views I still managed to pull of some sweet reversals and even shoot down a few 109's. :D

This game has massive potential, but it's far from it.

Now I need to find out what the following does:

Mixture
Prop feather
Radiator flaps
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 06:38:06 AM by Kazaa »

Offline SgtPappy

• Silver Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »
All 3 are automatic in a Spitfire VIII!
 :D (at least in RL and all the other IL-2 PC games)

Mixture is generally pretetermined for each plane (as is the supercharger settings if applicable) and changes the mixture of air:fuel in the engine. For combustion, the absolute necessary mixture for clean combustion is 14.7:1. Any greater, the mixture is lean and any less the mixture is rich. Sometimes, making a rich mixture in WWII, helped pilots develop more power for say, takeoff or helped keep the engine cooler. The problem with this of course is that excess carbon deposits build up everywhere in a carburettor engine when using rich mixtures. Leaner mixtures are good for conserving fuel and be used for certain cruise conditions instead of closing the throttle, leading to a more efficient burn.

Prop feather is available for only some planes (in the other IL-2 PC games). If your engine stops and your prop is dead or milling in the wind, this tool pitches your propeller blades in such a way that they are in the most aerodynamic position. Also, in terms of pitching props, I was told in IL-2, actually getting your props to a coarser pitch (i.e. < 100%)could help you go faster in a REALLY high speed dive.

But for the record, your radiator flaps are the main tool for cooling the engine. Opening them up, of course, increases drag.
I am a Spitdweeb

"Oh I have slipped the surly bonds of earth... Put out my hand and touched the face of God." -J.G. Magee Jr.