Author Topic: senarios  (Read 1258 times)

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
senarios
« on: December 22, 2009, 07:19:32 PM »
how do you make a senario?
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline 2ace

• Copper Member
Re: senarios
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 09:45:40 PM »
 :rolleyes:

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2009, 02:15:50 AM »
There is a team of CM's who work on scenarios.  (CM's are player volunteers who help put on special events in Aces High.)

The scenario CM team picks a battle, generally based upon a historical battle, but sometimes based on a "what if" situation.  We pick a topic based on what scenarios have been run previously, so that we have variety in the types of aircraft and objectives.  We generally don't pick the same theater of operation for consecutive scenarios, for example.

Once we pick a battle, there is research into what forces were in the battle, which aircraft, in which proportion, what some of the goals were, what radar was or wasn't used, what the weather was like, what the terrain was like, etc.  This can be something that the scenario team already is familiar with, or it can involve reading several books on the topic and doing a lot of Internet-based research.

When the research portion is complete, the team comes up with a scenario design.  The goals of the design are historical realism, play balance, action, and fun.  The goal of historical realism involves which aircraft were available, in what quantities, going after which objectives, physical locations (i.e., which terrain and bases), weather, etc.  The goal of play balance is the attempt to make it such that, if each side had equal-capability players, the result would end up near even, which is sometimes hard to figure out in advance.  The goal of action is to set things up so that each player is likely to encounter battle during the frame.  The goal of fun covers things not yet covered, such as variety, goals that we hope will interest people, and so on.

These factors pull in different directions.  Realism alone, for example, would often result in a setup where one side is completely overmatched or where players on each side never rarely encounter each other.  So, judgement must be used on how to come up with a good mix of these various factors.

The design process results in a first draft of a rules writeup, which includes the aircraft available in what quantities, goals, targets, victory points, settings (of wind, ack, ship hardness, building hardness, downtime, etc.), how many lives, and so on.  The design is then considered, debated, and adjusted until we have a final draft.

The process of producing a scenario (up to the point of running it) generally involves the spare time of several people for a couple of months.

Offline warphoenix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 04:15:56 PM »
dang...thats a long time
P-39 FREAK

B-26 Marauder driver

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 04:22:19 PM »
dang...thats a long time

goes by fast.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:53:07 AM »
dang...thats a long time

But they sure are fun. Thanks to the heads who gets these things together. I have had the pleasure of attending 3 scenarios, enjoyed all 15 frames  :rock

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline K-KEN

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:01:04 AM »
dang...that's a long time

In terms of planning and getting Rules made and all, it's all relative. Remember, there are some Arena Settings, there is a new terrain -possibly- to include new plane skins, and lots of behind the scenes stuff that was not mentioned by Brooke. Check out any of the rules and look at the depth of Arena Settings, weather, and such.

I have enjoyed Scenarios since 1997 in Air Warrior and since coming to AH. I can't begin to tell you how many, as some I did the walk-on thing, and others I registered specifically for the event. Sometimes Real Life prevents me from play, but I always look forward to them. It's the one time that team play is either evident or not and there are many different and unique personalities in this game. Getting to know the MA enemy can be a real eyeopener too!  :eek:  Bottom line, it's a learning thing as well. Team work, strategy, plane configuration, wingman tactics, and first and foremost-taking orders and not questioning them... especially when you came to fight and didn't get one. Discipline is an important part of it, as well.

When you can snatch this pebble, Grasshopper....   :old:   :O