Author Topic: "pick" not what most think  (Read 2786 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: "pick" not what most think
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2009, 04:20:09 PM »
You're redefining "pick."  The accepted use of the word requires a minimum of 3 pilots.

No, to pick is to take the easy kill with the least effort/risk to you. To cherry-pick (choose the choicest, closest, nicest cherry) is where the term comes from.

Applying it to AH, a number of folks pretend it has a narrow application. These same folks also tend to whine and complain that they ignore other planes in multi-plane engagements, pushing a 1v1 well after it's turned into something else. The same folks cry when they get "picked" (their use of the word) or when somebody else kills "their" target. They have tried to change the meaning of it.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2009, 04:32:29 PM »
No, to pick is to take the easy kill with the least effort/risk to you. To cherry-pick (choose the choicest, closest, nicest cherry) is where the term comes from.

Applying it to AH, a number of folks pretend it has a narrow application. These same folks also tend to whine and complain that they ignore other planes in multi-plane engagements, pushing a 1v1 well after it's turned into something else. The same folks cry when they get "picked" (their use of the word) or when somebody else kills "their" target. They have tried to change the meaning of it.

I see someones head is like brick :D   

LOL I wonder if you are referring about me when you say "crying" because There is not one person on these boards or in game that will ever say that I cried because I was killed, in any form.  because I NEVER have.

I still know what the word "pick" means though, IE: to kill someone engaged, usually off of a friendlies 6, a "cherry pick" is the same exact thing except the "cherry" is a new guy/noob so that makes it a "cherry pick"

some day grasshopper you will snatch the pebble from my hand...

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2009, 04:41:16 PM »
It's a bounce.

If you do it twice is it a "dribble" ?
Wag more, bark less.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2009, 04:42:01 PM »
To "pick" means to kill a plane already engaged with a friendly.  It is derived from "cherrypick" as in "to select what one considers to be best or most desirable, profitable, etc. from a number of options."

One can see how the derogatory term "picker" came about in Aces High, as in "a skill-less tard who flies in furballs and kills players who are already fighting someone else,"  (which ignores the fact that it takes considerable skill, SA, and good gunnery.)  So a players good score or rank or whatever is explained away by saying "he's just a picker."

When you're dove on and killed by a higher con, regardless of whether you see him or not, it's a bounce, not a pick.  Perhaps it's the association of the word "cherry-pick" and being up on a ladder (or in an actual cherry-picker attached to a vehicle) that makes players mistakenly associate being killed by a higher enemy with the term "pick."

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2009, 04:59:05 PM »

Pick is just the lazy man's way of saying Cherry Pick, just like ganged is short for gangbanged.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline BillyD

• Silver Member
      • Das Army of Muppets
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2009, 05:05:10 PM »
1. Pick v. ( p i k )  killing Draggon in any form.

y'all got this wrong.

pffft  
 :rofl :D

*ARMY OF MUPPETS
*K$
*Hot Soup Mafia
*@#$@#  YO COUCH CREW

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2009, 05:05:39 PM »
Exactly Ack-ack. That's how I described it.

Ink needs to deflate his ego. I was not talking about him. He is wrong, though, in saying "usually from 6 oclock" -- that's a whiner's addition to what a cherry pick is, because they lost their kill, or ignored a bad situation to get the kill then whined about being killed by another.

Shiv: A bounce can be a type of pick. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot that can be called a pick. But narrowing it to only the furballer mentality "you stopped my 1v1!!" is for crybabies.

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2009, 05:13:23 PM »
What I find humorous is when someone sees a flight of 2, they jump in to a fight and then they get shackeled, pressed, and killed then accuse the #2 guy of Picking.  Sorry it is called wingman tactics, not picking.  If you jump a squad in the air expect it.
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2009, 05:23:37 PM »

Someone call for the WAAAmbulance?

All I'm reading seeing here is:

"Waaahh, waaahh, it's your fault _I_ put my plane and myself in a bad situation to be in, waaahh, waaahh".
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »

sorry Krusty that is not a "pick"  thats just bad SA,  YOU are the one who is wrong.

A "pick" is just as the word describes, Picking someone of off someones 6, or while engaged. now matter how you try to spin it.

I strongly concur
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2009, 05:44:17 PM »

Ink needs to deflate his ego. I was not talking about him. He is wrong, though, in saying "usually from 6 oclock" -- that's a whiner's addition to what a cherry pick is, because they lost their kill, or ignored a bad situation to get the kill then whined about being killed by another.

Shiv: A bounce can be a type of pick. Don't get me wrong, there's a lot that can be called a pick. But narrowing it to only the furballer mentality "you stopped my 1v1!!" is for crybabies.

LOL, the community defines the words they use to describe things.  Yall are just arguing over semantics even though I agree with ink.  If you get 'picked' by a plane screaming in when you don't see him that's incredibly poor SA, quit eating your chicken breast on auto takeoff assuming it is safe.  If you get picked while fighting someone else in a slow rolling scissor type engagement, it is more of insult to injury because it is taking all your effort not to lose the advantage to the plane you are fighting.  Sometimes you see the guy but you just hope he misses because you feel like you are going to have a gun solution on the other bogey very shortly.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2009, 06:02:40 PM »

Who's crying?  I just want to narrow it to what it actually  means, and not what "bounce" means.   :)

And it's not at all restricted to a 3rd man jumping into a 1v1.  It's more applicable to a furball, with the picker staying high and waiting for an enemy to lock on to a friendly before attacking. 

And pick or bounce, it's what Grizz said, it's your own fault you got killed, not the picker's. 

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2009, 06:14:38 PM »
so "pick  or picking" is actually a Tactic used rather than anything else........ correct?  :devil
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2009, 06:39:29 PM »
It's not semantics.  If you are not engaged and get shot down, this is not a pick.  It's just poor SA... or chicken breast fixation?   :D

When you are cruising around with a bunch of friendlies, oblivious to your surroundings and you get shot down, it's not a pick.

« Last Edit: December 23, 2009, 06:48:38 PM by Steve »
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2009, 07:05:24 PM »

You're still incorrect in what a cherry pick is.  It's been since the days of AW that cherry pick has been defined as one that comes in and 'cherry picks' a player off someone elses' six.  Just as vulch has always been used to define shooting someone down as they are either in the process of taking off or landing.

"Pick" is just a more commonly used form of Cherry pick.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song