Author Topic: "pick" not what most think  (Read 2972 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: "pick" not what most think
« Reply #90 on: December 25, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
The "pick" IMHO is taking a pilot unaware of your presence period.

You may personally consider it to be a pick but by definition it isn't one.  What you're describing would be known as a 'Bounced'.  When you attack another player that isn't aware of your presence, you've 'bounced' him.  It's really not a subjective thing, it's an already established term to explain the situation you described.

The problem with terms is the they are ALWAYS subject to a person opinion and pov (picker or pickee).

When the term isn't clearly defined, then there will always be different perspectives and opinions on the meaning.  However, with terms like "Cherry Pick", "Vulch", "Bounce", the terms are already clearly defined and their definitions have been widely accepted for decades, there is no subjective meanings to these terms.  A "Cherry Pick (or just plain "Pick") is the act of engaging an enemy that is already enaged with another bandit.  A "Vulch" is the act of engaging an enemy as they are in the process of either taking off or landing.  A "Bounce" is the act of engaging an enemy that is unaware of your presence. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline strong10

• Copper Member
« Reply #91 on: December 25, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
LOL.  If someone actually yelled at me to stay out, I'd kill the guy he was on in a second.

Missed my point..  assuming I've already asked nicely.. Don't actually 'yell', just exaggerating for emphasis.  I would do the same if somebody 'yelled' at me.
 Most guys see red guys and go all out to kill them, without really thinking about etiquette and if the fight is fair.  Until you can kill a few in 1v1 w/ no advantage, the norm is to kill no matter what since that is the only way you can get a kill.  Picking, besides vulching is where the easiest kills lay, so it will always be done except in organized 1v1 fights.  

Merry Christmas!      

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #92 on: December 25, 2009, 04:13:50 PM »
You may personally consider it to be a pick but by definition it isn't one.  What you're describing would be known as a 'Bounced'.  When you attack another player that isn't aware of your presence, you've 'bounced' him.  It's really not a subjective thing, it's an already established term to explain the situation you described.

When the term isn't clearly defined, then there will always be different perspectives and opinions on the meaning.  However, with terms like "Cherry Pick", "Vulch", "Bounce", the terms are already clearly defined and their definitions have been widely accepted for decades, there is no subjective meanings to these terms.  A "Cherry Pick (or just plain "Pick") is the act of engaging an enemy that is already enaged with another bandit.  A "Vulch" is the act of engaging an enemy as they are in the process of either taking off or landing.  A "Bounce" is the act of engaging an enemy that is unaware of your presence. 

ack-ack

a couple additions if i may?

vulching,,,,is during the landing or take off process. it should be noted, that part of the landing process is final approach.
 i've heard some say things like "you weren't even at the runway" after vulching someone. well......they were on final, low n slow, probably gear and flaps out. it's still a vulch.
 same on take off.........if you're not allowing a con to gain fighting speed, because he's still just wheels up,,,,,,,you just vulched the dude.

and finally....i think it is possible to bounce someone that knows you're there. they may not have seen ya till only a few seconds before guns, but they've still been bounced, if they're lower than you.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #93 on: December 25, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »

ack-ack

Bounced, Picked, what's the difference, they're dead anyways.   :devil

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: December 25, 2009, 07:40:16 PM »
Bounced, Picked, what's the difference, they're dead anyways.   :devil

the difference is a lot.   

the reason I started this thread was to educate those in error, (the same way you have been trying to educate me in my "aiming") it's true if you get a good hit they are dead BUT, if someone thinks you Picked them, and they rant about it, if they were not engaged well they need to get better SA, they were not picked, I get sick of hearing people say "picktard" when I am the only friendly and they got the number advantage. :rolleyes:

I don't know I guess it's probably pointless to even bring it up, although I see by the responses that there are many who understand the difference.
and possibly a few came away with a little more understanding of what a "pick" is.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #95 on: December 25, 2009, 08:01:54 PM »

the difference is a lot.   

the reason I started this thread was to educate those in error, (the same way you have been trying to educate me in my "aiming") it's true if you get a good hit they are dead BUT, if someone thinks you Picked them, and they rant about it, if they were not engaged well they need to get better SA, they were not picked, I get sick of hearing people say "picktard" when I am the only friendly and they got the number advantage. :rolleyes:

I don't know I guess it's probably pointless to even bring it up, although I see by the responses that there are many who understand the difference.
and possibly a few came away with a little more understanding of what a "pick" is.

hehehehe.....

just about an hour ago, i had a guy crying the blues, because he couldn't pick me off of his squaddie.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2009, 08:14:34 PM »
hehehehe.....

just about an hour ago, i had a guy crying the blues, because he couldn't pick me off of his squaddie.  :devil

:rofl :rofl

do you only fly MW?   if so then I will have to get in there, I just never think about it when I log in,   if not we should wing up, you take that 38 of yours high, I will stay low, get them all turning and you can use me as "pickin" bait, :D and there "will be gnashing of teeth". to high heaven.

INK

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2009, 08:50:45 PM »
was it that grneagljr squeeker?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2009, 09:31:58 PM »
I will pick all of you who allow me an angle for a gun solution. If you get nose on (ho) I will decide wheather to shoot you or not depending on my mood. You are responsible for your own SA. Should you be picked because you failed to detect me then so be it.

If I find you low or slow or both and I have an obvious advantage and you do nothing to change such circumstances I will shoot you at the first oppurtunity. If you haul your nose around into me and hang on the prop while I am zooming down after you are roped you will be shot.

If I miss my pick shot and my opponent shows courage and skill and attempts to engage in mortal combat I will do the same.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »
Missed my point..  assuming I've already asked nicely.. Don't actually 'yell', just exaggerating for emphasis.  I would do the same if somebody 'yelled' at me.
 Most guys see red guys and go all out to kill them, without really thinking about etiquette and if the fight is fair.  Until you can kill a few in 1v1 w/ no advantage, the norm is to kill no matter what since that is the only way you can get a kill.  Picking, besides vulching is where the easiest kills lay, so it will always be done except in organized 1v1 fights.  

Merry Christmas!      

Cool.  FWIW, I ALWAYS ask if my friendly needs help with a 1v1. However, no response to me means I have a green light.  YMMV
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2009, 11:37:19 PM »

:rofl :rofl

do you only fly MW?   if so then I will have to get in there, I just never think about it when I log in,   if not we should wing up, you take that 38 of yours high, I will stay low, get them all turning and you can use me as "pickin" bait, :D and there "will be gnashing of teeth". to high heaven.

INK

i should start comin to lw....but i kinda like the way mw "feels" if that makes any sense.

ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2009, 11:38:52 PM »
was it that grneagljr squeeker?

nah...a former squaddie......i'd name him...and should....but i honestly respect that squads co too much to drag that poop out.

they have 2 or 3 that're makin me glad i;m not in that squad anymore though...downright embarrassing they are.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: December 26, 2009, 07:17:37 AM »
i should start comin to lw....but i kinda like the way mw "feels" if that makes any sense.

yup, best matched plane set/less runners/less squeekers/less HO tards and probably some of the better sticks in the game hang out there

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #103 on: December 26, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »
   yup, best matched plane set/less runners/less squeekers/less HO tards and probably some of the better sticks in the game hang out there

well, one of my biggest fears of comin there is that shuffler, and soulss will use me for bait. :noid :bolt: :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2009, 10:51:14 PM »
Come on shrimp..... umm  I mean Cap.  :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)