Author Topic: A NEW GERMAN bomber!!! (heavy)! TAKE A LOOK  (Read 4325 times)

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: A NEW GERMAN bomber!!! (heavy)! TAKE A LOOK
« Reply #120 on: January 30, 2011, 06:30:18 PM »
So instead of focusing an a great plane, we focus on a typo? Plantee of typn errers ta werk wit.

I give the idea of the 177 being developed a thumbs up.   :aok New challenge, right after we mastering shooting down the B-29 and He-111.

Boo

What great plane?  They were asking for the He-177 which was a piece of crap.  Last thread on this plane it is possible someone identified a single mission the plane flew in WWII that was actually something like a bomber mission.  Most all others were the plane being used as a transport, a missile dropping AC in anti-shipping roles, etc.  It's most famous raid as I recall was against England where several burst into flames on the runway or turned back and so few made it they bailed on the mission, dropped on a field and went back.  It is most well known for bursting into flames, a design issue they never overcame.  While all aircraft have teething problems, this plane never, that would be never, overcame its problems and was considered an utter failure by everyone except Aces High folks wanting a German heavy and a few guys trying to rewrite history and sell books to Germanophile geeks.  The plane looks good on paper, that's it--the plane was not a combat success.  The Me-163 was a more successful model, wrap your head around that.

Piece of crap is too kind for this plane.  I know, people will say "but it flew and it was German . . ." lots of planes flew in the war, so what?  It had no meaningful combat record.  The Do-217, on the other hand, was an excellent plane that was built in greater numbers, served the Italians as well as the Germans, flew the same mission types as the 177, and actually saw use as a level bomber--ostensibly the reason the 177 is being requested?  The Do-217 was a great bomber that would easily fill the heavy role and, unlike all the 4-engine buffs now in the game, the 217 was capable of dive bombing.

About every few months, some kid "discovers" that the Germans built this plane.  The next "Discovery" will be about the Fw-200, Condor as "a 4-engined German heavy . . .wow we need that plane . . ."

"The P-40B does all the work for you . . ."

Offline Tyrannis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #121 on: January 30, 2011, 06:48:48 PM »
What great plane?  They were asking for the He-177 which was a piece of crap.  Last thread on this plane it is possible someone identified a single mission the plane flew in WWII that was actually something like a bomber mission.  Most all others were the plane being used as a transport, a missile dropping AC in anti-shipping roles, etc.  It's most famous raid as I recall was against England where several burst into flames on the runway or turned back and so few made it they bailed on the mission, dropped on a field and went back.  It is most well known for bursting into flames, a design issue they never overcame.  While all aircraft have teething problems, this plane never, that would be never, overcame its problems and was considered an utter failure by everyone except Aces High folks wanting a German heavy and a few guys trying to rewrite history and sell books to Germanophile geeks.  The plane looks good on paper, that's it--the plane was not a combat success.  The Me-163 was a more successful model, wrap your head around that.

Piece of crap is too kind for this plane.  I know, people will say "but it flew and it was German . . ." lots of planes flew in the war, so what?  It had no meaningful combat record.  The Do-217, on the other hand, was an excellent plane that was built in greater numbers, served the Italians as well as the Germans, flew the same mission types as the 177, and actually saw use as a level bomber--ostensibly the reason the 177 is being requested?  The Do-217 was a great bomber that would easily fill the heavy role and, unlike all the 4-engine buffs now in the game, the 217 was capable of dive bombing.

About every few months, some kid "discovers" that the Germans built this plane.  The next "Discovery" will be about the Fw-200, Condor as "a 4-engined German heavy . . .wow we need that plane . . ."

the lancstuka pilots would like to have a word with you. :D

plus ive allready "posted" the fw200 condor, but ive realised my mistake, so need need to flame me on it  :uhoh :bolt:

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: January 31, 2011, 05:52:40 AM »
the lancstuka pilots would like to have a word with you. :D

plus ive allready "posted" the fw200 condor, but ive realised my mistake, so need need to flame me on it  :uhoh :bolt:

Lanc Stukas . . .aaaarrrrrgh...

The Ju-188 is also an extremely capable plane and worthy of a look.  I think the 217 started service in 1941 and the 188 early enough in 1943 to be considered a "mid war" entrant relative to the US. 

The Do-217 probably had more succesful sorties in a single mission than did the entuire history of the 177.  Both were pressed into other needs--such as night fighter which was a role the 177 wasn't tried in--indicating that they were such capable aircraft they'd be used as needed.  This is in contrast to the 177 which was built based on need and projected serviceability and never lived up to its billing.  Collossal waste of time and resources. 

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #123 on: February 01, 2011, 02:27:08 AM »
I just see girls getting upset at the thought of another buff. It's not that the plane sucked - the BETTY "sucks". It's a candle without a match.

We've got Jap bombers,
We've got RAF and US bombers out the yin yang
And then we have the JU-88 formation German bomber....all by itself...oooooooo

Quit  :cry because you might have to shoot down a new bomber....from the way it looks their all turning into roman candles anyway.  :ahand
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Dahl

• Copper Member
Re: A NEW GERMAN bomber-nope.
« Reply #124 on: February 01, 2011, 09:22:04 AM »
Once again,Gentlemen-Germany never produced a quality Heavy Bomber.

"Those who win write the history books."
OK,fine-but how do you land this damned thing?

Jagdgeschwader 11
The Proud,The Strong.

Offline Mirage

• Nickel Member
« Reply #125 on: February 01, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »
nor did they need one hence all the great medium bombers they produced  :noid
Kommando Nowotny

I/Jg-301Gelb Zehn |

Offline Dahl

• Copper Member
« Reply #126 on: February 01, 2011, 12:35:20 PM »
"Quanity has a quality all it's own"
 J.Stalin (?)
"Those who win write the history books."
OK,fine-but how do you land this damned thing?

Jagdgeschwader 11
The Proud,The Strong.

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #127 on: February 01, 2011, 04:46:13 PM »
"Quanity has a quality all it's own"
 J.Stalin (?)

exactly
Like, ya know, when that thing that makes you move, it has pistons and things, When your thingamajigy is providing power, you do not hear other peoples thingamajig when they are providing power.

HiTech

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
Re: A NEW GERMAN bomber-nope.
« Reply #128 on: February 01, 2011, 04:49:22 PM »
Once again,Gentlemen-Germany never produced a quality Heavy Bomber.

I think the Do-217 was classified as a heavy due to its range, payload, and speed.

Offline Sakai

• Silver Member
« Reply #129 on: February 01, 2011, 04:52:45 PM »
I just see girls getting upset at the thought of another buff. It's not that the plane sucked - the BETTY "sucks". It's a candle without a match.

The Betty did not suck as an aircraft, it was extremely successful, fulfilling its role and meeting its specifications.  The Betty had some seriously successful sorties and posed a threat often.  Yeah it was not armored enough, guess what:  nothing Japan built outside a few battleships and flying boats was.  The Betty was a success in terms of being able to fly missions, the He-177 was not.

Betty flew all war, 177 was out in 1941 and was never a player, ever, for the duration. 

Offline MarineUS

• Gold Member
      • Imperial Legion
« Reply #130 on: February 01, 2011, 04:56:51 PM »
because Germany was rolling down the block blastin' German dance songs while smashing up towns with their tanks and arty.....oooooo arty....... ô_ô

HiTech

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #131 on: February 01, 2011, 05:20:33 PM »
lol guys, you heard from an allied withnes that the 177 was a piece of crap, then it must be true... LOL  the early model was, for sure, i admit it. BUT HECK, they cured its engine overheating and flaming habit in 1942, and after that the 177 (a-5) wasnt a piece of crap anymore. Its sad some allied fanatic cant understand it.
AoM
City of ice

Offline Capnhop

• Zinc Member
Re: A NEW japanease bomber!!! (heavy)! TAKE A LOOK
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2011, 11:38:46 AM »
So about the plane.............Yes or no
i vote yes.....ya nazi lol :neener:

Offline jolly22

• Silver Member
Re: A NEW japanease bomber!!! (heavy)! TAKE A LOOK
« Reply #133 on: February 05, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »

3./JG 53 cheerleader - Battle Over The Winter Line - FLY AXIS - JRjolly

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #134 on: February 05, 2011, 11:21:39 PM »
lol guys, you heard from an allied withnes that the 177 was a piece of crap, then it must be true... LOL  the early model was, for sure, i admit it. BUT HECK, they cured its engine overheating and flaming habit in 1942, and after that the 177 (a-5) wasnt a piece of crap anymore. Its sad some allied fanatic cant understand it.
The A-5 didn't fix the engines entirely.  It was didn't catch fire on its own, but it was still nothing like as reliable as needed.

The He177 was one of the worst weapon programs in history.  Heinkel tried valiantly to fix it, and could have had if the Reichsluftfahrtministerium would have let them go to four engines.

Ironically, the Manchester, Avro's first go at a heavy, was similarly handicapped by the attempt to use two massive engines developed as a merging of two smaller engines.  Avro solved it by going to four Merlins.  If the Reichsluftfahrtministerium had let Heinkel go to four smaller engines, like they wanted to, the He277 could have been flying very successfully, much like the Lancaster.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-