Author Topic: Ahhh the anticipation...  (Read 2407 times)

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ahhh the anticipation...
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2010, 12:12:02 PM »
I think the EW arena will be closed
The MW will have the population of the EW
The AvA, well . . . .
And the WWI arena will be a bunch of planes running in circles
 :O
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2010, 12:56:47 PM »

Ahh that's a good comment !  :lol

Ya think that if we end up flying side by side, I can use my revolver for a head shot ? (Fly boys)  :confused:

Anxious Phil / OPP7755

Offline Enker

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2010, 01:57:14 PM »
With the WWI planes, I think the pilot skills are gonna surface more !
Lucky ones that run away when in "bad" situation, won't be able too anymore.

No more "cannon/explosive" rounds. Hold steady and pull the trigger! Lots of aiming for the cockpit.

Gonna be very interesting  :aok

Phil / OPP7755
I dunno, I think they will still be able to run away, just a lot more slowly. Unless you are in a SE5 with altitude. 180mph dives anyone?
InGame ID: Cairn
Quote from: BillyD topic=283300.msg3581799#msg3581799
... FOR TEH MUPPET$ TO PAD OUR SCO?E N to WIN TEH EPIC WAR OF TEH UNIVERSE We MUST VULTCHE DA RUNWAYZ N DROP UR GUYZ FIGHTERZ Bunkarz Then OUR SKWAD will Finarry Get TACTICAL NOOK for 25 KILL SCORE  STREAK>X

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2010, 02:00:53 PM »
I'm not that excited. It's just going to be like the DA with WW1 planes and besides I prefer the

(Image removed from quote.)

Once it evolves I may change my mind but I can wait.

It wont start like the DA. The DA at one time was a good arena.... it has devolved into the pathetic pit it is now.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline gatt

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2010, 01:53:20 AM »
I think the EW arena will be closed
The MW will have the population of the EW
The AvA, well . . . .

+1

Anyway, flying the Spad XIII or the SE5a, or the late D.VII, the way they were meant to, you'll still be an alt monkey for the Camel-Dr.I crowd  :rofl
"And one of the finest aircraft I ever flew was the Macchi C.205. Oh, beautiful. And here you had the perfect combination of italian styling and german engineering .... it really was a delight to fly ... and we did tests on it and were most impressed." - Captain Eric Brown

Offline Larry

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2010, 02:00:21 AM »
I give it about a month then I think numbers will be like the EW and AvA are now.
Once known as ''TrueKill''.
JG 54 "Grünherz"
July '18 KOTH Winner

Offline Harp00n

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2010, 04:14:45 AM »
And groundwar will be totally awesome. Just think of this:

Running around with a bailed out pilot is probably as exciting as driving this thing.  :devil

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2010, 11:53:02 AM »
I give it about a month then I think numbers will be like the EW and AvA are now.

Sight unseen, I'm willing to bet a dollar that you are wrong.  I agree there will be an initial honeymoon period that will fall off.  However, I bet it will remain significantly more popular than either EW or AvA (perhaps better than both combined). 

It will never be as popular as the WWII MA.  HTC knows that.  They're smart enough to know they gotta dance with the one that brung'em.  But that doesn't mean the WWI crowd can't cut in every once in a while.  ;)

Regards,
Wab
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Nypsy

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2010, 02:33:16 PM »
The only WW1 sim I ever flew was Red Baron about 9 years ago.
I was flying over a French village at dusk and from below I hear a church bell ringing, then sirens as they notice I am German. The atmosphere of that game grabbed me.

Now I know atmosphere in AH2 is last on the list of priorities, it was a nice touch in a WW1 sim though.

Offline Sunka

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.327th.com/
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2010, 04:08:03 PM »
:D Larry has made it well known he is not into WW1

Sight unseen, I'm willing to bet a dollar that you are wrong.  I agree there will be an initial honeymoon period that will fall off.  However, I bet it will remain significantly more popular than either EW or AvA (perhaps better than both combined). 

It will never be as popular as the WWII MA.  HTC knows that.  They're smart enough to know they gotta dance with the one that brung'em.  But that doesn't mean the WWI crowd can't cut in every once in a while.  ;)

Regards,
Wab
Someday the mountain might getem but the law nvr will. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SP5EkvOGMCs

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2010, 04:13:22 PM »
The obvious thing would be that WWI planes would not be available in WWII LW.
Thus, unlike EW MW and the AvA, where you get a limited choices, even though any plane you want to fly is available in the LW arenas, the WWI planes being only available only in the WWI arena, not WWII LW.

Ex. if I want to fly a Bf 109E-4, I can either go to the EW, where there's no one there (and the people that are are generally tards), or I can just fly it in LW, where I get more of a challenge, and there's no shortage of airplanes. If I want to fly a D. VII, I HAVE to go to the WWI arena, because there's no other place to fly it.

I don't think that WWI will ever be as popular as WWII, but I imagine the arena will remain at least as popular as MW or the DA, and not be constantly empty like the AvA and EW.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »
+1

Anyway, flying the Spad XIII or the SE5a, or the late D.VII, the way they were meant to, you'll still be an alt monkey for the Camel-Dr.I crowd  :rofl

Go ahead and dive on the Dr.Is

You'll find them.

Hard to get.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:38:32 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline james

• Silver Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2010, 07:14:14 PM »
Ah blue max. One of the best movies alongside all quiet on the western front
6GUN  

4.0GHZ Ryzen9 3900x
32GB DDR4 3200
GTX1070

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2010, 07:18:12 PM »
I am ready to fly the Sopwith Camel. Hey, it is now the early part of the year. :joystick:
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2010, 08:28:54 PM »
I don't know if you guys are all stuck in Aces High online mode all the time or what.  I know that I fly a very diverse set of flight sims, depending on what mood I am in.  I spent the better part of yesterday piloting an F-8 and A-4 all over North Vietnam.  But anyway...

There are two very popular offline (non-AH2) WW1 flight sims going around right now.  I'm sure you guys can figure out what they are and where to get them.  One in particular I have been flying a lot lately since I got it for Xmas.  I've only flown it offline (the one that needs CFS3 to run).  I will tell you that it is a very different experience than WW2 dogfighting (or Vietnam-era dogfighting for that matter).

This game, AH2, is obviously WW2 oriented and that is where the playerbase is.  I agree that the WW1 arena will certainly have a spike initially- who doesn't want to see what's new?  But will it have longevity?  How would I know?  But I don't think it will be the flash in the pan that some think it will be.  It just isn't the same kind of fight.  This will appeal to some and not to others.  Frankly, I look forward to jumping into a plane that someone like Dedalos, for example, has as many hours in as me.  It levels the playing field some.  I'm never going to beat Steve in a Pony; I might have a chance beating him in a Fokker that he's never flown before, negating his familiarity with the plane handling aspect.  This might attract some of us mid-water feeders that are good but not great, that are familiar with the planeset in the MAs but not intimate with any plane, and just don't have the years of experience or the hours of free time to get there anymore. 

I'm sure someone will figure out how to game the system and tard out in the new arena, but I also think that it (may) attract a playerbase that stays there more than other arenas.  You can't fly the WW1 planeset in the MA's, so that will set it apart, unlike EW/MW/AvA where you can fly all of those planes in LW.  Some folks might find the WW1 arena somewhere where they can compete to be top dog, rather than fading into the masses of LW.

I'm willing to give it a try.  The fights feel different in the sims I've flown.  It's fun and different and it's really where the fundamentals of dogfighting were forged.  How can that not be cool to try in the crucible of online dogfighting Aces High?
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila