Author Topic: picking question  (Read 2147 times)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
Re: picking question
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2010, 08:33:12 AM »

you see a 1-1 below ya. you drop down, and clear your countryman's 12. he never asked for help.

that's a pick.

now, if you and a squaddie are workin together, that's totally different.

Agree.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Demetrious

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2010, 08:43:03 AM »
"picking" or "cherry picking" has many forms depending on who died
meaning A:  blatant interuption of a 1 V 1

That's what the dueling arena is for.

AH's MA is- nominally- supposed to represent a combined-arms war, with strategic objectives and the main goal being to kill anything that moves in order to enable completion of those objectives. If people don't like getting picked, then they should bring some wingmen, use team tactics, and do it properly, like the real guys did.

If they just want a duel, there's the DA. If they want a furball, those are easy to find. Sheesh.

This emote has nothing to do with the post but I love it too much not to use it.  :banana:

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2010, 08:52:12 AM »
One more thing, I've never seen anyone with the ability to fight his way out of a paper bag actually come in here and claim that picking is ok lol
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2010, 08:57:27 AM »
"picking" or "cherry picking" has many forms depending on who died

meaning A:  blatant interuption of a 1 V 1

meaning B:  some people cross " bouncing " with "picking" i.e. BNZ fighting, attacking a con from alt

meaning C:  shooting down Draggon in any form, from any position around the clock   :D

meaning D:  engaging and destroying an aircraft already engaged ( single or multiple bandits )

meaning E:  engaging and destroying a pilot with target fixation or bad SA

etc etc

was your squaddie yelling in your ear on squad vox or f12 range to help him?

if so: No pick, shot at keeping your sanity

if not: Pick    :aok

:rofl I might add that is draGGon with 2 Gs as draGon with one G is the polar opposite and a fine individual in game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2010, 09:17:48 AM by Shuffler »
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2010, 09:03:43 AM »
PICKER  :banana:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2010, 09:13:28 AM »
One more thing, I've never seen anyone with the ability to fight his way out of a paper bag actually come in here and claim that picking is ok lol

Ignoring the fact that there always has, is, and will be a lack of check 6's, the fact that one gets picked is there own fault.

Period.

Even if you have a wingman.  Even if he is a good wingman.  It is your own damn fault.

LOOK AROUND.  

Simple.

Elegant.

Effective.
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline BrockS

• Zinc Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2010, 09:28:25 AM »
IMO if you have a problem with being picked, go to the DA for your one v ones. I was just pondering the other day that when on the six of a con from a certain squadron, a squady of theirs suddenly appears to kill me (frequently). In fact, not often am I killed by the aircraft I am engaged with but rather the buddy out of nowhere. By definition, this is picking but I have no problem with it, it is a good squadron tactic in order to survive the MA and my death is "my bad" for not using good SA or having a wingman so I don't get shot down.

What I do have a problem with is members of the very same squadron constantly whining on 200 about being picked when a majority of their kills are a result of exactly that tactic. Like I said, if you want a private fight the MA is not the place, head to the DA.

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2010, 09:49:07 AM »
Ignoring the fact that there always has, is, and will be a lack of check 6's, the fact that one gets picked is there own fault.

Period.

Even if you have a wingman.  Even if he is a good wingman.  It is your own damn fault.

LOOK AROUND.  

Simple.

Elegant.

Effective.

Damn right, it's a combat game. With that said people gotta accept the fact they will get shot down when they're being gang or while they're not paying attention. Get over that toejam or play microsolf sim or something.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2010, 11:23:49 AM »
It's not the act, it's the motive. I've whined and complained, but I'm getting over it as I realize the difference between a war and the MA.

In a real war the motives are

1. Complete your mission

2. protect your squadies

3. Kill the bad guys.
If everyone motives were these three, behavior in the MA would be very different. But....

In the MA the motives are

1. Get as many kills as you can

2. prove you're a better stick than everyone else

3. land your kills

4. help a squaddie if he asks.

5. take a base or some other mission based task.

Most of the trash talking on 200 seems to involve MA-motives 1 and 2. The guys looking to score kills are always picking because it's easy, but the guy who gets picked thinks he was robbed of his opportunity to prove he was a better stick than the guy he was fighting.

Let's face it, taking bases and winning the war means nothing to most of the people in the MA. So motives 1 and 2 drive most of the behavior. I think this is also compounded by the idea that some believe getting lots of kills proves they're better sticks than everyone else. This leads to everyone having to jump on 200 to tell a picker he has no real skill, just in case he was thinking the kill he just scored was leading him to believe it. Once you understand that, the whining is predictable and avoidable if you choose.  Also, once you understand that, it's easy to ignore.

Who is John Galt?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2010, 11:52:34 AM »
It's not the act, it's the motive. I've whined and complained, but I'm getting over it as I realize the difference between a war and the MA.

In a real war the motives are

1. Complete your mission

2. protect your squadies

3. Kill the bad guys.
If everyone motives were these three, behavior in the MA would be very different. But....

In the MA the motives are

1. Get as many kills as you can

2. prove you're a better stick than everyone else

3. land your kills

4. help a squaddie if he asks.

5. take a base or some other mission based task.

Most of the trash talking on 200 seems to involve MA-motives 1 and 2. The guys looking to score kills are always picking because it's easy, but the guy who gets picked thinks he was robbed of his opportunity to prove he was a better stick than the guy he was fighting.

Let's face it, taking bases and winning the war means nothing to most of the people in the MA. So motives 1 and 2 drive most of the behavior. I think this is also compounded by the idea that some believe getting lots of kills proves they're better sticks than everyone else. This leads to everyone having to jump on 200 to tell a picker he has no real skill, just in case he was thinking the kill he just scored was leading him to believe it. Once you understand that, the whining is predictable and avoidable if you choose.  Also, once you understand that, it's easy to ignore.

You missed a key one I believe.

Looking for a good fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Vinkman

• Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2010, 12:06:59 PM »

You missed a key one I believe.

Looking for a good fight.

True. I guess it slots somewhere between 3 and 4? This also leads to the same whining when the good fight is interupted by a third party previously refered to in this thread as 'the picker'. My advice...use the radio.
Who is John Galt?

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2010, 12:11:19 PM »
RULE 1 lift index finger RULE 2 lift finger towards nose RULE 3 stick in nose RULE 4 pull out index finger thats picking. jolly nevermind the crybabies wimpers-gets nowhere fast <S>. OHHH RULE 5 flick yer booger towards the crybaby  :aok
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!