Author Topic: AHII Collisions VS Other Games  (Read 1726 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
AHII Collisions VS Other Games
« on: January 18, 2010, 06:40:32 PM »
I've been away from the game for a while, but have noticed this.  In AH there's a big issue when colliding and one person getting knocked out of the sky, while the other player flies away without damage.  Many people offer their reasons for this as, lag/internet connectivy and all. 
My question is, why doesn't this happen in other games.  I've been playing a few games here and there, and the impact is damn near instantaneous.  ie, you hit me, so you have effected my route of travel or destroyed me. It just seems like the impact should be a little more balanced.

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Re: AHII Collisions VS Other Games
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 06:43:56 PM »
If HTC got a dime for everytime ......

what's the point,  never mind..

:lol

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 06:45:40 PM »
 :lol  I know, just thinking is all.
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 06:48:56 PM »
:lol  I know, just thinking is all.

It's been brought up serveral times before, I would go back and read the old threads.  HTC explains why, and it's not going to change..

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 06:49:29 PM »
Just out of curiousity what other games are you refering to? My only basis of comparison between games is between old AW and of course AH. Ive never played IL2 but would be interested to know how collisions break down there vs here.

That being said there is a ton of factors involved and judging from your post you have a good understanding of netlag and whatnot. There has been a ton of threads discussing this topic to great detail. Do I think the AH collision model is perfect? Nah. But I believe HTC has a good balance/system in place.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 06:57:44 PM »
I have a pretty good track record on the "search", but I'm not going to re-read things from 3 years ago that involves this game now.  That's kinda' pointless. 
As far as the games go, I'm just basing it off of some simple things like Need For Speed Shift/GT-Legends/rFactor, etc.
My question is this.  Why can't two people be in the same point and time. (give or take)
I've already heard all the 3-dimensional stuff. 
Game Id's:

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 07:09:36 PM »
I've been away from the game for a while, but have noticed this.  In AH there's a big issue when colliding and one person getting knocked out of the sky, while the other player flies away without damage.  Many people offer their reasons for this as, lag/internet connectivy and all.  

It appears you have not spoken to anybody with a clue on how the collisions models work.

I have a pretty good track record on the "search", but I'm not going to re-read things from 3 years ago that involves this game now.  That's kinda' pointless.  
As far as the games go, I'm just basing it off of some simple things like Need For Speed Shift/GT-Legends/rFactor, etc.
My question is this.  Why can't two people be in the same point and time. (give or take)

Because they are not both in the same place at the same time.  No juxtaposition involved.

In a 1 on 1 fight there are 4 planes.

2 on your Front End.

2 on your opponents Front End.

All you have to worry about are the two on your FE.

If the two on your FE touch you will collide.

If they do not then you won't.

Just because the 2 on your FE touch doesn't mean the 2 on your opponents FE touch.

Fight someone 1 on 1 and both film it.

Watch both films.

They are slightly different.

What you see on your FE as a collision your opponent can see as a near miss or vs. versa.

For example.

What you see.

What your opponent sees

Those are two pictures of the same two planes at the same point in time from both Front Ends.
(edit: the pics are not mine and all credit goes to the OP for them)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:30:59 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 07:14:26 PM »

My question is this.  Why can't two people be in the same point and time. (give or take)

That's your problem, you're comparing the collision model of an online game with collision models in a single player game.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 07:15:29 PM »
It appears you have not spoken to anybody with a clue on how the collisions models work.

Because they are not both in the same place at the same time.  No juxtaposition involved.

In a 1 on 1 fight there are 4 planes.

2 on your Front End.

2 on your opponents Front End.

All you have to worry about are the two on your FE.

If the two on your FE touch you will collide.

If they do not then you won't.

Just because the 2 on your FE touch doesn't mean the 2 on your opponents FE touch.

Fight someone 1 on 1 and both film it.

Watch both films.

They are slightly different.

What you see on your FE as a collision your opponent can see as a near miss or vs. versa.

I'm sure someone else has a better answer for this question.  Your's made no sense.  It was a simple question.  Why can't this game not detect a collision properly.
Game Id's:

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 07:18:46 PM »
I'm sure someone else has a better answer for this question.  Your's made no sense.  It was a simple question.  Why can't this game not detect a collision properly.

Makes total sense.

I can't help that you don't "get it".

I would like to add that "lag" won't cause a collisions or have anything to do with if you collide or not.

It has EVERYTHING to do with whether your opponent does.

Here is the bottom line.

Don't touch the nme planes with your plane.

You won't have to worry about collisions ever again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:21:37 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 07:19:02 PM »
I'm sure someone else has a better answer for this question.  Your's made no sense.  It was a simple question. 
There is no better answer, and no, it's not a simple question.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 07:21:06 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:17:46 AM by Skuzzy »
Game Id's:

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 07:23:59 PM »
'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.'

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 07:25:53 PM »
'You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink.'
:aok

So anyone going to answer the question?
Game Id's:

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
Sorry to have caught you guys at the end of the month, but that don't answer the question.  Just bury it and brown nose HT some more.  LMAO

I will try ONE last time here.

In Aces High a collision is handled on your computer which we will call your Front End.

If at any time your Front End detect that your plane touched an opponents plane you will collide.

That is how it works.

Period.

Now... because of lag what your see and what your opponent sees is slightly different.  That small delay means that your Front Ends see slightly different things.  (hence the 4 plane analogy)

Due to that slight delay what appears to be a collision on your Front End is a near miss on your opponents.  (refer to the pictures a few posts up)

What that MEANS is that just because you hit them doesn't mean they hit you.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 07:28:58 PM by WMLute »
— George Patton