Author Topic: AHII Collisions VS Other Games  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Estes

• Gold Member
Re: AHII Collisions VS Other Games
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2010, 08:18:44 PM »
haha.. that was awesome tac! that made my evening. :)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2010, 08:50:55 PM »
that's cool, everyone wants to act like it ain't a problem.  That probably why it's such a good search term.

The only problem is you not understanding how the collision model works in AH, Lute's previous post was an excellent example of explaining how it works.  There isn't anything wrong with the collision model, it works just fine in AH.  Don't fly into another plane and you won't collide, it's really that simple.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 08:53:24 PM »
:lol  I know, just thinking is all.

i try not to think. the more i think, the worse i seem to hurt myself.  :noid :noid :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2010, 08:57:23 PM »
I have a pretty good track record on the "search", but I'm not going to re-read things from 3 years ago that involves this game now.  That's kinda' pointless. 
As far as the games go, I'm just basing it off of some simple things like Need For Speed Shift/GT-Legends/rFactor, etc.
My question is this.  Why can't two people be in the same point and time. (give or take)
I've already heard all the 3-dimensional stuff. 

you're comparing apples and oranges.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2010, 08:59:57 PM »
I heard the one with the Higher IQ gets less damage   :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2010, 09:29:57 PM »

hhmm....could that be why i never suffer damage from collisions?  :D :aok :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »

:headscratch: I guess that leaves me out...

If our planes can't hit each other accurately, then how are the bullet's supposed to?
(not concerned about mine, because I don't aim too well)
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2010, 10:03:38 PM »
You're in your car driving at 50mph.

You look at your rear-view mirror and see a truck coming at you VERY fast and he's VERY close.

Truck driver haulin' at 100mph. He sees your car. He wants to play bumparse with you rinkydinky prius.

You turn your head around to look back. Indeed, there is a big #$@ truck back there and getting mighty close.

You turn your attention to the road ahead. WHATS THIS? OH NOES AN OLD LADY IN A WALKER IS CROSSING THE INTERSTATE! SHE'S ON YOUR LANE!!! YOU WILL SQUASH HER IN 4 SECONDS!!!

You swerve to the opposite lane to avoid the lady. She curses at you as your prius clips her purse off her and screech to a halt on the parking lane.

Old lady turns her head and sees the incoming truck.

Truck driver sees your prius suddenly swerve out of the lane. Hears a 'thunk' sound.

Old lady gets squished by Truck.

Sysmessages:

(Prius)
Host: You have Landed.
(Truckdriver)
Host: You shot down Oldlady.
(Oldlady)
Host: You have collided with Truckdriver.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its all about perspective on your end.

You in the prius saw the old lady and she saw you so you managed to swerve out of the way and in her view, saw you swerve out in time. Hence on your end (front end) and in hers,  you did not hit.

Truckdriver did NOT see oldlady and ran her over and kept chuggin' after you. On his front end oldlady was not registered as a collision yet gets credit for kill because you caused it on her end.

Oldlady saw your prius coming at her and then swerve out of the way hence no collision for your prius and her. However she did turn around and see the truck coming so she became a grill ornament.

LoL.  :rofl :rofl

If he doesnt get it then, then theres no hope.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2010, 10:06:55 PM »
See Rule #4
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:20:44 AM by Skuzzy »
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2010, 10:24:08 PM »
If our planes can't hit each other accurately, then how are the bullet's supposed to?

By the very same principle, just inverted.

You have to hit the enemy on your computer. If you do, the enemy will get informed that he's been hit, and where. They don't necessarily have to hit on his screen - they game would be almost unplayable to many, if not most players if that would be a requirement.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2010, 10:29:19 PM »
:headscratch: I guess that leaves me out...

(not concerned about mine, because I don't aim too well)

aaahh!!!

you just answere your own question!!

what you hit on your screen is very accurate. you hit em with your rounds, or you hit em with your airplane....whatcha see is whatcha get.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
« Reply #41 on: January 19, 2010, 12:35:02 AM »
See Rule #4

Right about what? :headscratch:

The internet is a complex series of tubes and is very hard to explain fully. :D

« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:21:10 AM by Skuzzy »

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 19, 2010, 01:48:02 AM »
Right about what? :headscratch:

The internet is a complex series of tubes and is very hard to explain fully. :D

So explain it.  As you see in my OP, I'm only asking why making contact is such an issue in this game.  I've played many games with a ping well over 200, but be sure, every one knew when a collision has taken place and effects both vehicles.
Blame it on lag and all, if you choose to do so, without explanation. but I've heard the wind blow before.  I've not made this post without research, but I might as well have.

Game Id's:

Offline LLv34_Snefens

• Nickel Member
      • Lentolaivue 34
« Reply #43 on: January 19, 2010, 04:23:38 AM »
It's an issue because you don't try to shoot the other car! Let me explain:

In the racing sims I tried online, they extrapolate the positions of the other cars. So if you take the two pictures above in mind, the first picture is the locations recieved from the other player, but along with the latency (X). Your computer "knows" this is dated data, so it makes an assumption about where the other guy would be at T+x and draws this on your screen. (further ahead)
Same for the other guy. His computer "secretly" sees you much farther back (2nd pic), but again extrapolates your position on his screen and draws you where you will be in x millisecs, (closer)

So simple. Two cars going side by side. If both players sat next to each other and could see what the other guy see it would seem like there were no lag at all!
Now, why doesn't AH use this method you ask (or "why is this an issue?"). The reason is warping. As long as you go straight this method works great, once you start turning, especially at high speed, the extrapolations are suddenly off. To compensate for this your computer have to make the other player "jump" to where it's new guess is or warp.
If instead your computer draws exactly the position it receives, there is no guessing, and the only warping will be if one of the connections are unstable with very variable latency. Having small microwarps might not seem so high a price to pay, but when you try to shoot that other plane, instead of just overtaking him, it would be a real turn off.

Also, when looking at cars, it's a general rule that the faster they go, the slower they turn. Real sharp turns in racing games are often done at slow speeds, where the risk of mis-extrapolating is low. Planes on the other hand, tend to turn better the faster they go (to some extent), increasing the risk of warping.
Snefens, Lentolaivue 34.

"Luck beats skill anytime"

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #44 on: January 19, 2010, 04:57:28 AM »
So explain it.  As you see in my OP, I'm only asking why making contact is such an issue in this game.  I've played many games with a ping well over 200, but be sure, every one knew when a collision has taken place and effects both vehicles.
Blame it on lag and all, if you choose to do so, without explanation. but I've heard the wind blow before.  I've not made this post without research, but I might as well have.

How many of those games had 600 people online?

There are two methodologies, the one HTC uses which is collision and kills rendered/calculated by your front end (ie AH on your computer), the other is letting the server handle it (common in first person shooter games). The second one has limitations in that servers cannot handle too many clients, so this usually limits the number of players to 64 or less.