Author Topic: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy  (Read 2104 times)

Offline GlassJaw

• Copper Member
Re: Change sights for the 5" CV puffy
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2010, 05:13:26 PM »
5" guns do almost nothing to stop anyone with the patience to gain a little altitude from sinking a CV.  All they do is aggrivate the people who want to enjoy a good furball.  Some of the best fights in the game these days are between a CV and a the base its saddled up against... somewhat spoiled by the gamey 5"er. 

I say make the 5"  5x more deadly... but make it so they can't shoot at planes below 6k and make the CV able to take 5x the damage it can now.

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
Why is everyone so down on hoards? Its the same thing as massing armor for an attack. Why attack with 2 tanks, when you can attack with 5, or 9, or 13? Same with aircraft, more numbers means a higher chance of the town going down before cap is lost.
Because when people apply a little skill, it doesn't take 5, 9, or 13.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2010, 05:15:07 PM »
Yeah the ack is tough but are we taking into account that the ack historically was radar controlled and used the proximity fuze.  Very effective.  Hence the destroyer pickets off Okinawa that used radar controlled 5" ack to tackle the japanese planes inbound to the fleet carriers.  Can anyone tell me if flak from CV can damaged friendly planes as well?  I mean according to Murphys Law friendly fire works both ways!!!!

BigKev

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2010, 05:56:54 PM »
We have hoards afraid to get shot down period. That's why they're in a hoard.

Exactly.

Since we have Mk 12 5"/38 caliber Dual Purpose guns, here is your "historical sight"

Not much difference than what we have.  BUT, implement this HTC because the "tunnel vision" will cripple the Manned Guns.   So yeah, give em what they want.   
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:01:06 PM by Masherbrum »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 06:00:42 PM »
I will sink a cv about 90% of the time with an alt of no more than 5.5k  at full speed.  by the time the 5 in gunners open up on me, I would have already dropped eggs and start evasive maneuvers.  all 3 of my buffs will survive about 80% of the time with just slight damage.  I am more concerned with somebody turning cv at just the right time than of the gunners.  then again at 5.5 alt I will most likely hit the cv with at least a couple of eggs.  on fiters, its another story, its ridiculously accurate up to 10k but not on buffs, go figure that one.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline jdbecks

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 06:01:20 PM »
Yeah the ack is tough but are we taking into account that the ack historically was radar controlled and used the proximity fuze.  Very effective.  Hence the destroyer pickets off Okinawa that used radar controlled 5" ack to tackle the japanese planes inbound to the fleet carriers.  Can anyone tell me if flak from CV can damaged friendly planes as well?  I mean according to Murphys Law friendly fire works both ways!!!!

BigKev

yes, I have been hit by friendly CV Ack, mainly when attacking buffs.
JG11

...Only the proud, only the strong...
www.JG11.org

Offline BigKev03

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »
Thanks I will keep the friendly ack in mind next time out.

BigKev

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 06:50:14 PM »
In real life, AA couldn't keep planes away from ships, but in the game, going within icon range is going to get you killed.

I wish we could have realist sights for the 5" guns. Maybe modle the inside of the gun sponson or turret, and have a vision slit, instead of the red crosshairs with uber zooming capabilities we have now.

Just something to think about.

If you knew how the gun sights worked for the Mark 12 5"/38 caliber gun (standard US Navy 5" gun during WW2 and beyond), then you would realize that the sights we have now is the best compromise for game play reasons.

Basically, the current system simulates the job that took 15 to 27 men to do onboard a US Navy ship.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 06:54:50 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
Exactly.

Since we have Mk 12 5"/38 caliber Dual Purpose guns, here is your "historical sight"

(Image removed from quote.)

Not much difference than what we have.  BUT, implement this HTC because the "tunnel vision" will cripple the Manned Guns.   So yeah, give em what they want.   
If that is a correct image on that gun site I would say make it that way in the game.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 07:08:56 PM »
Not indefinitely, but it can keep people away past what was realistic.

Please, tell us what was 'realistic' since you seem to know.  Enlighten us.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2010, 09:03:36 PM »
Forgive me sir, I was unaware of the fact that they were radar controlled. But unless only 1 in 10 or so IJN planes made it through the ack, then the kill ratios are a little high.

Because when people apply a little skill, it doesn't take 5, 9, or 13.

So your answer is that if you play good, you don't need more than a handfull of people to take a defended base? That seems a little unfair. Its like telling a newb to "play better" when he's asking for help. Not every player has the skill required to beat 2 opponents in a fight, so (in my opinion) taking the guys you can get to follow is fine.
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2010, 10:54:11 PM »
If that is a correct image on that gun site I would say make it that way in the game.

CV's wouldn't stand a chance in hell if that site was implemented.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2010, 11:58:33 PM »
I sometimes think you guys play a different game.  With manned 5" it is virtually impossible to hit anything but idiots who come in low and straight into the ship.  Have you guys ever even tried to hit buffs at 10K or 15K with the 5"?  CVs in this game have zero probability of surviving a single set of bombers at anything above 10K.  And you want them to be easier to sink?  Sometimes I suspect the real point of such posts is "This is a flight sim and I should not be shot down by anything but another plane- get rid of ships, GVs, and manned ack."

-10 points IMO, you're way off. a good skipper who keeps a good eye on the CV can keep her out of trouble with any high bombers. I've done it many times. One of the best maneuvers is to turn into the bombers at the last 1Kto shorten their closing rate. Ive never been hit doing this, all other things being equal.   :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2010, 12:07:52 AM »
Why is everyone so down on hoards? Its the same thing as massing armor for an attack. Why attack with 2 tanks, when you can attack with 5, or 9, or 13? Same with aircraft, more numbers means a higher chance of the town going down before cap is lost.

Not all players are base takers, and like you, they wish everyone thought like they do. Some simply like the 1:1 challenge between 2 or maybe 4 tanks slowly trying to outwit each other, see the enemy first, being sharp enough for the one-shot-kill, & not worrying about bomb****s. I can get some fun either way, but when the odds are 10:1 and it starts obviously going bad, no skill matters and no possibility of keeping the base, I'm not enjoying the game, & that's why we're here right?  :joystick:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2010, 02:15:22 PM »
For the '45 task group we have, we should have the radar-ranged fire-control that would pwn any single aircraft that gets within 5 miles.

:t

thats what we have already - radar ranged, proxy fused. the only figure i've seen for the effectiveness of such a system (ie. the best fire control system in use in WWII) was about one kill per 1,000 shells fired. Ive lost the link but it was from a USN document. I suspect our AH 5"ers are magnitudes more effective than this. the very best WWII systems could not own any aircraft within 5 miles ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli