Author Topic: Different LW Country Setup?  (Read 2916 times)

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
Re: Different LW Country Setup?
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2010, 06:08:40 PM »
no base capture is one of the greatest things about AvA.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »
Good point but then how is it different from the AVA? Would it just be that the scoring counts for LW?

The difference would be the game settings. AvA has captures disabled or made very difficult most of the times, has mostly reduced ack settings, and short icon ranges. Other things  like dar are different too.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2010, 06:23:35 PM »
Change LW to be 2-sided like AvA, and you'll see numbers like:  248v20, then 250v10, then 300v0.  Sound like fun?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2010, 06:27:34 PM »
Change LW to be 2-sided like AvA, and you'll see numbers like:  248v20, then 250v10, then 300v0.  Sound like fun?

Give the axis a field that isn't only uncapturable, but unporkable too... and it will be 300vs1, with me hugging ack all day.  :bolt:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2010, 06:28:17 PM »
It would be fun and a great thing to try say once a week - like Titanic Tuesday, but unfortunately the whining would be of biblical proportions.

The truth is the nubs want to fly their LW  planes in a big gang with all their nub friends, and that's not going to change. Were you around when HTC split the arena and introduced caps omg - it was like the wailing wall.
I come from a land downunder

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
Give the axis a field that isn't only uncapturable, but unporkable too... and it will be 300vs1, with me hugging ack all day.  :bolt:

sounds like me every evening in LW, except for the unporkable /uncapturable part. In a kinda sadistic way, I kinda love/hate outnumbered base defense.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2010, 07:41:30 PM »
From an immersion perspective, I think it'd be really fun to have Axis vs Allies in the Late War.  Of course, all sorts of balance issues arise when you introduce this format but I'm wondering what people's take is instead of the standard 3 chess piece/all planes enabled setup.

:airplane: Might be fun to try it for a while and see how it works out. Have all the planes enabled but limit it to two chess pieces.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2010, 08:38:56 PM »

Why?  The notion that people are going to switch to the high numbers side to gang Axis even further is not a fact like you imply, it's only a theory.  Maybe you are correct to an extent, but I think there would be a lot of dedicated Axis pilots that would step up to the challenge, especially with an actual allegiance on the line.  I might be wrong, but in a perfect AH world it would be awesome to have this setup and it's nice to discuss its feasibility.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
One thing I need to make abundantly clear is I was toying with the notion of an LW AvA arena where every Axis and Allied plane in the game are enabled on large maps.  This is not the same thing as the current AvA setup, not in the least bit.

We already have every axis and allied plane enabled already, that is what late war is :headscratch:  :lol

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2010, 10:17:58 PM »
Couldn't see anyone going for it in large numbers people fly what they want I guess its their choice  :D

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2010, 10:26:46 PM »
The AvA is around for 3 reasons.

1.  If you don't like being chased by 2 x La-7, 3 x Spitfires , 4 x P-51's, and a Bf-109 all at the same, then the AvA has something to offer you.
2. If you don't like dogfighting 20 enemy aircraft at the same time, constantly being cherry picked, having your ordinance continually down, and bored by the MA style gameplay, then the AvA has something to offer you.
3. If you do like fighting under historical situations and locations, against real enemies that our grand parents and great grand parents fought against, against a real adversary in an aircraft that was limited in performance at a particular date, but don't have time for SEA events, then the AvA has something to offer you.

Saying you don't fly in there because no one is in there, is calling a glass half-empty, when in fact, its full of opportunity, historical learning's, friendships, and fun.

As the saying goes, to each their own.  Meaning that HTC offers a style of gameplay for a wide range of audiences, and the AvA is part of the offering.

For those of you who think the AvA is a waste of time, space, and energy, NUTS!    :D

:salute
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 10:28:17 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2010, 10:36:02 PM »
Don't care about the AvA, this thread is not about the Ava.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline SQUAT!

• Copper Member
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2010, 10:46:27 PM »
reducing it to only 2 sides would be fun. allot more fights would ac-cure. from the looks of the sky when flying i think there are equal numbers of allied and axis flyer's. the only problem i can see is more squad level then tottal numbers.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2010, 11:32:02 PM »
Did you even read what I typed?   Feel free to ask SlapShot (most of the BK's), Xbrit, OddCAF, BJ229r, Hugo9 and many others who WERE IN THERE to "get away from the redundancy of the LW/old Main Arena".   You're trying to play the role of "know-all, be-all" and your replies state otherwise. 

Almost 6 months the numbers in the evening were around 90-100.   Until the "SOAR" types came in and all of us "moved on".    You're "guessing and assuming", I was in the EWA.

I guess my mistake then.  I was referring to the first week of the split where the EW numbers were GREATER than the LW arenas due primarily to the fact that EW was first on the list and most logging on didn't bother to look at the arena other than the numbers.

I'm sorry to hear the SOARs ran you out of the arena.

;)

Back on topic somewhat, who sets up the AVA anyhow?  Plane sets and what not.  Why not enable all Axis vs all Allied and see what happens.

No point in doing it in LW as it would make an LW arena not an LW arena, wouldn't it?

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2010, 12:32:42 AM »
nvm.  It would suck for the Japanese and american tankers
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 12:36:15 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H