Author Topic: Maneuvering flaps on the P38  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Maneuvering flaps on the P38
« on: February 20, 2010, 04:52:47 PM »
How many clicks of the "Q" key are needed to set maneuvering / combat flaps on the P38.  The USAAF manual 51-127-1 show a flap selection handle that has three position.  Flaps Up, 1/2 flaps and flaps down.  1/2 flaps is the position used for Combat or Maneuvering flaps, it offers reduced stall speed and additional lift generated for the same speed. The speed restriction for extension of Maneuvering flaps is 250 MPH.  Perhaps someone from  HiTech Creations can provide the correct answer .  How many clicks of the "Q" key give the P38 all benefits of Maneuvering flaps.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
Re: Maneuvering flaps on the P38
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 07:22:36 PM »
How many clicks of the "Q" key are needed to set maneuvering / combat flaps on the P38.  The USAAF manual 51-127-1 show a flap selection handle that has three position.  Flaps Up, 1/2 flaps and flaps down.  1/2 flaps is the position used for Combat or Maneuvering flaps, it offers reduced stall speed and additional lift generated for the same speed. The speed restriction for extension of Maneuvering flaps is 250 MPH.  Perhaps someone from  HiTech Creations can provide the correct answer .  How many clicks of the "Q" key give the P38 all benefits of Maneuvering flaps.

Hi Traveler,

I'd like to help if I can, but I'd just like to make sure I understand the question.

Are you looking for a correlation between the USAAF manual and the game?

If so, you probably posted in the wrong forum.

Are you asking about the best way to employ the flaps on the P-38 in Aces High?

If so I can help.

Let me know.

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 09:05:13 PM »
Traveler is on a crusade to have the GAME turned into a flight simulator. He has found some information and is trying to get things changed to become more realistic, or at least more along the lines of the information he has found.

Good luck with that!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 06:46:52 PM »
Traveler is on a crusade to have the GAME turned into a flight simulator. He has found some information and is trying to get things changed to become more realistic, or at least more along the lines of the information he has found.

Good luck with that!

Your 100% wrong.  I asked for accurate aircraft modeling.  I think HiTech Creations also wants that.  

Aces High is a massive multi-player online combat simulation centered around the World War II air-war. Here are some of the highlights.

•Accurate flight modeling of over 80 aircraft, vehicles, and boats from around the world.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:51:35 PM by Traveler »
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 06:48:57 PM »
Hi Traveler,

I'd like to help if I can, but I'd just like to make sure I understand the question.

Are you looking for a correlation between the USAAF manual and the game?

If so, you probably posted in the wrong forum.

Are you asking about the best way to employ the flaps on the P-38 in Aces High?

If so I can help.

Let me know.

Badboy

I'm asking for the current game, the aircraft line identified as P38,  Combat or maneuvering flaps are represented by how many clicks of the "q", is it one, two or three.  That's what I"m asking.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 06:52:45 PM »
Your 100% wrong.  I asked for accurate aircraft modeling.  I think HiTech Creations also wants that.  

wrong forum, for that Sir, This is the help & Training Forum

I also see you posted the same topic in the wishlist forum.....

as for posting in this forum.

I do not have access to the manual you have listed in your opening quote.. but this is an Online sim and we teach how things work or how to go about online play, we do not compare stuff here in this forum with real life, or if their is a matter of inconsistenceys. we leave that to the aircraft & vehicles forum, Sir..... in case you did not know this

in any case, we have (3) P-38 versions the G, J, & L

and they all have differences , some differences including flaps...... which P-38 version are you referencing in that you need help with?
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 06:58:06 PM »
I'm asking for the current game, the aircraft line identified as P38,  Combat or maneuvering flaps are represented by how many clicks of the "q", is it one, two or three.  That's what I"m asking.

well in that case, you might want to refer to your manual, and get a protractor, then go launch a P-38(whatever version here) and hit F3 view..then hit the Q in 1 notch increments until it gives you the degrees in which you are looking for  which by your opening post is 1/2 flaps :aok

pretty simple  :aok

(edit: the in cockpit flaps indicator guage will also tell you when you are around/near 1/2 flaps as well )
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 06:59:52 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
well in that case, you might want to refer to your manual, and get a protractor, then go launch a P-38(whatever version here) and hit F3 view..then hit the Q in 1 notch increments until it gives you the degrees in which you are looking for  which by your opening post is 1/2 flaps :aok

pretty simple  :aok

(edit: the in cockpit flaps indicator guage will also tell you when you are around/near 1/2 flaps as well )

i think he's trying to get at something like the p38 could only use 1 or 2 positions for maneuvering.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 07:31:01 PM »
I'm asking for the current game, the aircraft line identified as P38,  Combat or maneuvering flaps are represented by how many clicks of the "q", is it one, two or three.  That's what I"m asking.

You obviously aren't interested in learning how to get the best out of the P38 in Aces High, your response indicates you are only interested in making comparisons with the USAAF manual.

When or if you do ever wish to learn how to play the game a little better, let me know, I'll be happy to help.

Badboy

The Damned (est. 1988)
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 09:48:35 PM »
I do not have access to the manual you have listed in your opening quote..

Actually, it's on the trainers server, and can be accessed from the P38L page on the wiki (big file, will take awhile to load).  Also the Technical Orders for the G and J models are linked on their respective wiki pages.

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 10:08:26 PM »
wrong forum, for that Sir, This is the help & Training Forum

I also see you posted the same topic in the wishlist forum.....

as for posting in this forum.

I do not have access to the manual you have listed in your opening quote.. but this is an Online sim and we teach how things work or how to go about online play, we do not compare stuff here in this forum with real life, or if their is a matter of inconsistenceys. we leave that to the aircraft & vehicles forum, Sir..... in case you did not know this

in any case, we have (3) P-38 versions the G, J, & L

and they all have differences , some differences including flaps...... which P-38 version are you referencing in that you need help with?

I did not post the same topic in the wish list forum.  In the wish list forum I presented my wish for a more accurate P38 model  for setting Combat flaps.

In here I am asking the question, seeking help for the three P38 models on how when Combat flaps are set .  Is it one , two or three clicks of the “Q” Key . 
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 10:18:28 PM »
so who beat ya, and how "gamey" were they flying the ole 38 o doom? :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 10:59:11 PM »
Actually, it's on the trainers server, and can be accessed from the P38L page on the wiki (big file, will take awhile to load).  Also the Technical Orders for the G and J models are linked on their respective wiki pages.

The links are there but not working
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 11:19:16 PM »
P38s suck! They need ub3r h0ver fl@ps.  :D
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 11:20:43 PM »
I did not post the same topic in the wish list forum.  

understood, I just noticed both of the Topics having identical titles

as for Murdr's post, Murdr will prob have to reload them. skuzzy had to change out a failing hard drive for the trainers FTP and we probably just missed re-uploading those documents.....

NOTE: if anyone notices that any links are not working on the trainers Website or the AH Wiki , please send a PM or email support at hitechcreations please, so we can quickly fix the bad link.....

as for AH's P-38 and the combat flap / maneuvering flaps setting....... I am not a P-38 Pile-it or guru... but I would say that the 1st Notch or Q key press would be the Combat Flap setting.......