Author Topic: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?
« on: February 21, 2010, 11:42:19 AM »
For about a decade I've toyed with the idea of playing Aces High on a big screen TV, but never get around to it. So before starting my latest what-if, I'm wondering how many of you play Aces High on a big screen (e.g., 42 inches or higher) TV, and briefly how did you hook up your setup?

I'm looking for the absolute easiest and most inexpensive way to do it using only one joystick and one keyboard. I use Comcast cable which has been doing fine for me.

At present I play Aces High with desktop computer hooked up to 22-inch wide monitor. Works well. I'm just wondering if you think it is worth the extra effort and expense to go for 42-inch and above TV monitor.  Hmmm, guess this means I'd have to buy another computer and find some place for it in the TV den. Hmmm.   :headscratch:

On the other hand, got a Vista laptop I don't use much which I could hook up to the TV.  Could it be that simple?  Would Aces High let me do that on my present single subscription (most programs allow multiple computers as long as only one is used at one time)?

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Re: How Big a Screen Do You Use for Aces High?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2010, 11:47:08 AM »
24" monitor.

Have a 32" LCD HDTV right next to it that I could hook up if needed but I dont think I want that big of a screen.

I recall when AW went to "full screen" (as opposed to the small forward view and surrounding gauges) that I disliked the increase in real estate that had to be scanned for trouble.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2010, 11:49:03 AM »
23" Monitor here.

If you're thinking about a 42" screen, give yourself at least 9ft of distance from the TV.   You will not only get the best picture, it won't be as hard on the eyes.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2010, 11:54:16 AM »
24" HD monitor HDMI hookup 1920x1080 res, ingame it looks great crystal clear, My 46" LED you can also use as a monitor has the 240 processor in it, but to lazy to drag the puter downstairs to hook it up and try it, someday i will  :old:
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:30:14 PM by 68ZooM »
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:05 AM »
15 inch laptop :) old school I got a 65" big screen in the living room it would be sweet, also I heard it's harder to hit the planes on a bigger screen more skys for the bullets to miss in lol.  Might ask some of the guys that play on bigger screen's if it hurts their gunnery.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2010, 11:57:17 AM »
19"
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 12:04:03 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2010, 11:58:14 AM »
19" monitor and projector :)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2010, 12:05:38 PM »
17" 4:3  :uhoh
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2010, 12:07:34 PM »
23" Monitor here.

If you're thinking about a 42" screen, give yourself at least 9ft of distance from the TV.   You will not only get the best picture, it won't be as hard on the eyes.   

Good advice right there, the optimal screen size will be a function of viewing distance. 
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2010, 12:15:09 PM »
I played on a 52" high definition big screen for a little bit, it was interesting. It made the colors a little less richer, actually made them more realistic in my opinion. Around ten feet was the best distance, it was pretty easy on the eyes. I used the S-Video output on a laptop (pre-terrain update) and it worked nicely graphics wise. As it sits right now I play on a 1680 by 1050 22" widescreen, it lets me play quite well. The biggest problem with a big TV screen is logistics, cost, where to put, how to setup gear and etc. Once installed I don't think you would anything but nice things to say. I didnt see any difference in gunnery, basic ACM or visual cues like finding dots. If anything it makes spotting cons easier as the larger screen had larger dots at longer viewing ranges. Two to three feet is actually a piss poor distance for spotting small details I think.

At one time I had AH installed on three computers and used the same account on each depending on the situation. Even though I only have one account it never gave me an issue, I doubt its changed.

Strip

Offline A8EJay

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:07 PM »
I'm using a 23 inch HD.  If i want a bigger monitor, i just move mine closer to my face. :)  Right now, i have just enough room to use my joystick without it smacking the screen. :joystick: :salute

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2010, 12:19:30 PM »
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline GearJrk

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2010, 12:23:36 PM »
20" HD
Gear
Claim Jumpers

Offline Wingnutt

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2010, 12:27:09 PM »
24" LCD monitor

I have a 42" 1080P TV that i figured would be AWSOME.. it was novel for a while but I prefer the monitor.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2010, 12:43:39 PM »
23" 1920x1080

and my head is about 2 feet from it lol

kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.