Author Topic: Men At Work plagiarism  (Read 805 times)

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
Men At Work plagiarism
« on: February 25, 2010, 09:18:59 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/8536689.stm

I saw this article today where 'Men at Work' is accused of plagiarising a song called 'Kookaburra'.  They have two sound bytes on the page where you can listen and compare.  After listening to the two I can't believe this has even gone to court.  I was expecting more of a 'Vanilla Ice' moment where it was quite obvious but in this case you can't really tell.  The rhythm and tempo might be somewhat similar but I think the copy right holders of 'Kookaburra' are out of their minds to think they are entitled to 50%. 

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Men At Work plagiarism
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2010, 09:23:20 AM »
It said similarities may be noted only by a "highly educated musical ear".

:lol
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline sluggish

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2010, 09:24:04 AM »
This all depends on the judge.  Some judges think a published piece of music amounts to a copyright on a chord progression...

Heck, George Harrison got sued and lost because "My Sweet Lord" sounded too much like "He's So Fine" by the Chiffons...  The bottom line is that very little HASN'T been done in music.

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:09 AM »
Ya I am with you thought it would be a little closer nothing worth suing over though, somebody just trying to cash in on someone else's fortune. If it is such a problem why did it take so long to file a complaint, wouldn't you do it as soon as you heard it, I would have.
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2010, 09:26:26 AM »
There's the entertainment industry for you: One person makes millions, and someone else tries to get a piece of the action screaming "they stole my idea."

I'd like to know why these suits don't come about until AFTER something becomes a major success. If someone stole your idea, get it out there IMMEDIATELY.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2010, 09:27:22 AM »
My goodness...something that is so subjective that even the musicians playing it might not have been able to hear the difference is flapping ridiculous.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2010, 09:28:37 AM »
Ya I am with you thought it would be a little closer nothing worth suing over though, somebody just trying to cash in on someone else's fortune. If it is such a problem why did it take so long to file a complaint, wouldn't you do it as soon as you heard it, I would have.

They had to find the correct "highly educated musical ear" to agree with them so they could file a suit.
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2010, 09:30:54 AM »
Took them that long to find an ear that could tell, I would have say statue of limitations here, after 15 yrs if you don't claim an infringement you should be able to. Maybe time for a new law to be put into effect for the music world.
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline TinmanX

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2010, 09:39:29 AM »
Are you all gonna be mad at me when I say I can hear it? I certainly hear the similarities.
"...and then we discovered why. Why this 'Cheech', who had fought with gods and demons, why he flew the Zeke. He was being kind, giving us a chance to run away."
Aces High Films
I'm the "timid" "runner" in the zeke "BnZing" you.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2010, 09:42:16 AM »
Are you all gonna be mad at me when I say I can hear it? I certainly hear the similarities.

No because I do too... but only because I was now actively listening for it. Had I just listened to the two songs, without any knowledge of that story, I would never have noticed.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2010, 10:31:22 AM »
Similarities shouldn't cut it for this kind of suit though.  It should only be valid for direct copies.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2010, 04:08:39 PM »
  Who could it be Now...... Who can we sue Now...

:huh

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 04:51:09 PM »
BTW, I own exclusive rights to the G chord, if you guys ever play that on any instrument (including but not limited to singing*)   please send a check for $5.  Thanks!

*intention of singing G chord is all that is necessary, i.e. singing off key still applies.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 06:45:16 PM »
  Who could it be Now...... Who can we sue Now...

:lol

And I just remember... "Cargo" by Men at Work was one of the first albums I bought myself  :rock

Offline SPKmes

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 07:15:33 PM »
Well then I say sue Barney then....is just because he is big and purple that he can blatantly steal a tune.

I love you love...well you know how it goes
this old man he played 1 he played........and most should know how that goes...

For those of who don't know Barney....lucky for you...

That is truly the lamest suit...sure there may be a sound similarity in for a few seconds here and there but really...to think they sat there and listened to that song a said damn that is a funky tune let's have it ....really  hhahahahaha