Author Topic: G940.....Disappointing at first glance but coming around!  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
G940.....Disappointing at first glance but coming around!
« on: March 01, 2010, 05:53:33 PM »
Ugh...

Profiler will not recognize the system, meaning I cant do anything but plug and play....

FFB feels like five notches of tension, cant feel difference in any form of flight....

Both rotaries on the throttle dont work....

The 8 buttons on the throttle with clear covers come with numbers printed on them. Cant put custom tags underneath because of this without scraping the labels off plastic. Retarded was how my gf put it...

Joystick is completely crap at this point, I cannot ride the stall or blackout even close to what I could with X52.

Unless this improves 1000% its going back...will call tech support tomorrow and give it a fair shot though.

Strip

« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:07:23 PM by Strip »

Offline 1701E

• Silver Member
      • VBF-18 Bearcats
Re: G940.....Disappointing!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2010, 06:28:21 PM »
What do you mean by the Profiler won't recognize the system?  As in the Logitech Gamer Profiler won't install, load or recognize the stick?  I ask since once working it usually makes the products much better and easier to use.  My FFB Wheel stopped working and felt like crap to be honest (FFB turns off and it just becomes stiff), and some buttons weren't being labeled right (should be 2 sets of the same buttons, but all 4 were separate) but when it finally started working again (thanks to help from here) it definitely helps.  FFB simply will not work in Logitech products that I have used without the Profiler (as you've found) so resolving that may help a bit.

I haven't seen the stick in person, but why is having printed numbers on buttons bad?  I'm just trying to visualize why labels is bad (I would never be able to see em anyways personally..unless they're digital or big) :D

I've seen mixed reviews about it, but it seems like it would work better then that.  Maybe if it's still "broken" during The Final Battle I'll be sure to ask for people to look for the plane that can't fly. :P
ID: Xcelsior
R.I.P. Fallen Friends & Family

"The only ones who should kill are those prepared to be killed"

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 06:42:33 PM »
They send you labels that go underneath clear covers that let you customize the buttons. The idea works great, I have every name I could think to add all ready printed in the package ready to install. The problem is with the clear covers, they have numbers printed on them, making the label underneath unreadable.

:(

Good idea save that one issue, cant imagine why they did this?

The profiler will not open without having a Logitech product plugged in. Even though mine is even being played on it still doesnt see it. I have tried reinstalling it several times, even tried the newer version directly off Logitech.

I am going to try it on another computer and call tech support though...

Strip

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 07:00:17 PM »
The numbers aren't on the covers. They're on clear bits of plastic film. They're just sticking.

The  Profiler crashes to blue screen on a few systems. If it's not crashing you should be able to get it to work.

If the stick isn't slack on the runway then FFB isn't working. Could be related to profiler not seeing the stick but FFB works without profiler.

I assume you have FFB enabled in AH.

No idea why throttle would work and throttle rotaries don't. AH controller setup sees stick, throttle. and pedals as 3 different units?

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:56:52 PM »
The numbers aren't on the covers. They're on clear bits of plastic film. They're just sticking.

The  Profiler crashes to blue screen on a few systems. If it's not crashing you should be able to get it to work.

If the stick isn't slack on the runway then FFB isn't working. Could be related to profiler not seeing the stick but FFB works without profiler.

I assume you have FFB enabled in AH.

No idea why throttle would work and throttle rotaries don't. AH controller setup sees stick, throttle. and pedals as 3 different units?

Ill go in order here.....

I used a small pick and voila the clear plastic bits came out, thanks for the heads up.

I finally got the Profiler to work, but it was version 5.06 which is two releases ago. I uninstalled everything, and rebooted, installed, for some reason my results improved.

The FFB does not go slack on runway, I have yet to feel it make any movements. (FBB is enabled, even played with percentages...)

Before I got the profiler to work they showed up as one unit, now it shows as three. FBB was inoperable with both....

Gain full functionality of everything but FBB with the profiler up and running.

Strip

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:36 PM »
I suppose it's official now? Logitech and joysticks are like two south poles attempting to pair?
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2010, 08:03:55 PM »
Okay,  update.....good news.

After playing around with the FBB I found if the profiler does not list the game in its system it wont work correctly.

After showing the profiler where the .exe is for aceshigh and opening the game through the profiler, FBB now works.

Will advise on how it plays after a little bit....

Strip

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2010, 08:04:58 PM »
Not quite but the software is extremely clunky, which apparently effect its operation heavily.

Most of my bugs occured and were fixed with the software issue....

Strip

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
Re: G940.....Disappointing at first glance but coming around!
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2010, 08:23:35 PM »
I thought the profiler didn't support the G940 until version 5.07?  :headscratch:
Glad you got it working.
You need version 5.08 to get the shift key to shift the throttle buttons.
The mode buttons will work in either case.

Edit: FYI as I mentioned earlier I've had the stick working with FFB without the profiler installed
but you won't have the shift key option or the mode buttons.

Set trim force to 100% in AH, turn down damage. Do not set spring centering in the profiler.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 08:30:25 PM by FLS »

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2010, 08:38:19 PM »
Cd says Version 5.06?

Spring center, where is this function located and what is its function?

My main complaint now is the center is a little sloppy....I may like it if the name would be any indication of what it does?

Strip

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2010, 08:40:58 PM »
Not quite but the software is extremely clunky, which apparently effect its operation heavily.

Most of my bugs occured and were fixed with the software issue....

Strip

Read the logitech forums for some workarounds for using the profiler.  I know there is a serious bug that causes BSOD when trying to program certain key combinations in the profiler and someone posted a workaround to avoid the BSOD in their forums.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2010, 08:58:00 PM »
Well if 5.06 works I must have remembered it wrong. 5.08 gives more functionality but it causes problems on a few systems.

Spring centering makes it act like a normal stick. It doesn't help with the centering force. Logitech says the lack of force in the center is from the MS FFB API which was written for older FFB sticks. The center only lacks FFB, there isn't any play in the controller. You can eliminate the FFB play by trimming nose down a little when you want to feel resistance in the center position.

Ack-Ack the BSOD is only on certain systems. I don't get it on my game PC but it happens on a similar PC I have. No idea what the difference is that triggers it.

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2010, 01:06:06 AM »
Hey I have only used the profiler once, to calibrate the axes.  I've never really been into programming joysticks so I generally ignore software like this - AH seems to be very good about joystick/button mapping and I've never really felt I needed the extra functionality - but, do you think not setting up the profiler for Aces High has anything to do with the wild spiking on my rudder axis?

The spiking is constant and crazy, and shows up in both Aces High Map Controllers function and in Windows joystick properties.   But if I install the G940 on my laptop, I don't see the spiking issue on the rudder axis, and I don't have AH on my laptop - it couldn't even begin to handle it graphics-wise with an X3100 vid chip.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2010, 04:39:27 AM »
No idea Oboe. Spiking generally means a bad pot so why doesn't it do it on your lap top? I assume you're seeing the numbers jump around in the AH control setup. I would RMA it for a replacement if Logitech can't suggest a fix for it.

Edit: I assume you know that calibration is not saved for the rudder pedals. They auto-calibrate the first time you move them through their full range of motion after every time you restart your computer.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 04:49:03 AM by FLS »

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2010, 07:39:26 PM »
Try a ferrite bead on the rudder cable line and see if that helps.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.