Author Topic: Spit XIV skins  (Read 2528 times)

Offline sandwich

• Nickel Member
Re: Spit XIV skins
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 04:10:13 PM »
Did this bird see combat?

Would love to fly this one.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2009, 07:55:40 AM »
I did some research on that profile I posted earlier in this thread. It seems it is a bogus scheme unfortunately. The airframe number NX911 actually belonged to an early Seafire which had been converted from a Mk Vb Spit and was used for training purposes. Also the only recorded instances of RAF aircraft having paint stripped off to help them catch V-1s were a few Tempests used by the Fighter Interception Unit.

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2009, 12:48:32 PM »
I did some research on that profile I posted earlier in this thread. It seems it is a bogus scheme unfortunately. The airframe number NX911 actually belonged to an early Seafire which had been converted from a Mk Vb Spit and was used for training purposes. Also the only recorded instances of RAF aircraft having paint stripped off to help them catch V-1s were a few Tempests used by the Fighter Interception Unit.

DIdn't even see that profile.  They didn't strip the paint on the 41 Squadron XIIs which would have made some sense since they weren't as quick as the XIVs or Temps, buit they did fine knocking down V-1s anyway.  Kev and I went hunting for silver XIVs to go with the silver I, VIII, IX and XVI we were able to find, but no luck. All postwar.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2009, 01:35:23 PM »
Found this link has some good black & white pics also a nice colour photo of a recon Canadian bird it may tickle Jocko's fancy.

That one has the bubble canopy, a later version of the Mk XIV.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2009, 01:41:48 AM »
Hmm, Skuzzy says that car door schemes can be accepted for bubble hood Tiffies, I wonder if the reverse holds true for high vs. low back Spits...

Hmm...
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Kev367th

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2010, 03:58:46 AM »
The British had standard paint schemes.  Each plane was painted to a set template.  Hence, unlike the Germans (who were more famous for their sense of order) they did not vary.  What did vary was plane and squadron codes, theater markings such as the color of the nose cone and fusalage bands, and the invasion stripes at different time periods after the invasion.

One caveat though -

It seems the further you got away from HQ Fighter Command the more chance there was for a few 'individual' touches.
Hence the Danish squadrons colourful bands (see my XVI in-game flown by Rolf Arne Berg), Malta Spits (not just the famous 'blue' ones), etc etc.
So the best chance of finding an unusual scheme is to look overseas.
AMD Phenom II X6 1100T
Asus M3N-HT mobo
2 x 2Gb Corsair 1066 DDR2 memory

Offline Kazaa

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2010, 04:04:18 AM »
More Spitfire skins = win! :O

"If you learn from defeat, you haven't really lost."

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »
I'd really like to do the scheme below as a skin. The website I found it on says this aircraft destroyed nine V-1s with various pilots but doesn't give any squadron info. It has had its camo paint and squadron markings stripped off to gain a few MPH. The D Day stripes don't look right with three black and two white stripes, so ideally I would like a photo or at least a more reliable text source to back it up. I can't find anything in my books though, anyone else got anything?

(Image removed from quote.)

Spitfire forum calls b*llsh*t... but, they may be wrong: http://spitfireforums.com/index.php?topic=129.0

Otherwise, original source: http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/f/52/9/21#77 - can't find their quoted source

Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 06:46:11 AM »
That profile IS bs, I posted to that effect earlier in this thread. The serial number is from a Seafire and only Tempests were ever stripped of their camo to catch V-1s. This is why I like to have at least one RL photo of anything I skin.