Author Topic: The best player's planes jump around everywhere in the films? Why  (Read 2217 times)

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
Re: The best player's planes jump around everywhere in the films? Why
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2010, 04:14:17 PM »
Yes, Badboy really cleared things up here.. Now I know what was going on the other day also, when it was impossible to hit a thing for a few hours..
Was aming the same as usual but did not even land one little ping for quite some time, I believe the plane I was shooting at just was not where I thought it was..  :headscratch:
Heard others had the same problems at the same time period, this was in DA a few days ago. Guess that was just lag issues then.

Lag doesn't effect gunnery like that, though.

If your FE see hits as a result of your shooting, the other guy tales damage a a result- even if he's not where he appears to be (which is all of the time).

The result here, is that if you fire at someone, and see hits, he gets damaged, but...  He may take damage when he thinks there's no way you can hit him.  The same goes for your end- if he shoots and hits the plane he sees on his screen, you'll take damage, even if from your end you were several degrees outside of where his guns were pointed.

The game is drawing itself based on the information your computer has on both of your positions.

Damage caused by you, will be awarded based on what your FE sees.

Damage caused to you, will be awarded based on what his FE sees.

This explains why sometimes you don't register hits on an HO pass, for example, until after you've passed the other guy.  He hit you, so you took damage.  But, due to lag, it took a little while for the information that you'd been hit to be sent by him and received by you.

It also explains how you can land on a CV, but see someone else land in mid-air out over the water.  In his world, he's on the CV, and you're not.  In essence, we're all playing separate games, we're just sharing information so it seems like we're all playing the same one.

MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Redd

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »
This explains alot.. I've been wondering about the same thing. Also remember when I started playing this game a couple of years back, I was watching some films with some of the good guys in it.. And I noticed their stick movements in the film (my version of the film) did not look like they had a stick at all.. More like they were flying with a joyball of some kind.. The movements looked just like someone scrolling their fingers over a ball, getting the fast/slow/fast/slow movement, kinda like you scroll fast down a long page with one finger on the mousescroller.. :headscratch:

But Redd's blackout and stall buffet explaination sounds like a good explaination for why it looks that way.  :aok :salute

That's definitely riding the  black out your seeing on the film (without seeing black) - pulling black/easing off slighly/pulling tighter/easing off slightly . You'll see it on the first merge turn. yes it looks like using a trackball.
I come from a land downunder

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2010, 02:44:08 AM »

That's definitely riding the  black out your seeing on the film (without seeing black) - pulling black/easing off slighly/pulling tighter/easing off slightly . You'll see it on the first merge turn. yes it looks like using a trackball.

Yes, and when that is said.. It does look the same if you ride as a passanger with someone also? Or was that me watching that film afterwards?!  :headscratch:

This is also a couple of years ago, so bare with me if I remember wrong.. But I had a few rides with a pilot who was gonna teach me a few basic moves, and I think I noticed that odd movement allready then?! Does blackouts show when you ride as a passenger? I don't remember.. If it does, it had to be watching the film afterwards I noticed the "ball-stick" thingy..

But I do remember asking that actual pilot about what stick he was using, because it really looked like he was flying with a ball for joystick. It was either Longbawd or TA57x I was asking, don't remember wich one of them.. But he offcourse did not understand what I was talking about, leaving me with the thought> "here's something they're not telling me".... :noid      :rofl

Only now I can put that paranoia-thoughts away, there's no uberball-stick that makes ace of noobs.. :noid There really is some skill involved also!  :joystick: :rock :salute
TheStig

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2010, 02:57:48 AM »
Lag doesn't effect gunnery like that, though.

If your FE see hits as a result of your shooting, the other guy tales damage a a result- even if he's not where he appears to be (which is all of the time).

The result here, is that if you fire at someone, and see hits, he gets damaged, but...  He may take damage when he thinks there's no way you can hit him.  The same goes for your end- if he shoots and hits the plane he sees on his screen, you'll take damage, even if from your end you were several degrees outside of where his guns were pointed.

The game is drawing itself based on the information your computer has on both of your positions.

Damage caused by you, will be awarded based on what your FE sees.

Damage caused to you, will be awarded based on what his FE sees.

This explains why sometimes you don't register hits on an HO pass, for example, until after you've passed the other guy.  He hit you, so you took damage.  But, due to lag, it took a little while for the information that you'd been hit to be sent by him and received by you.

It also explains how you can land on a CV, but see someone else land in mid-air out over the water.  In his world, he's on the CV, and you're not.  In essence, we're all playing separate games, we're just sharing information so it seems like we're all playing the same one.

I see..  :headscratch:  Thank you, this was alot of good information I've never given much thought also.. Yes I remember having ho passes with blazing guns at me, no hits until the tailgunner hits me.. Exept the plane never had one.. :noid  :rofl

No wonder newbies accuses people for cheating in this game, it really takes some understanding of how online gaming works to fully understand what's really going on.  :salute
TheStig

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2010, 03:05:23 AM »
SAJ73 you're missing a point. The aircraft you shoot at on your PC is exactly where it appears to be. The guy behind you shooting at you is really shooting at your aircraft on his PC. Because of net lag your position on his PC in relation to his aircraft on his PC is not the same as it appears to you on your PC. Net lag affects your defense not your offense.

Rgr that, then I really need to work on my aim.. Or stop loading with blanks..  :uhoh  Is there any other explaination to how you don't see any hits on a plane you are pumping full of lead?? I am pretty sure I should have landed hits on atleast a few bullets, but not even a little ping that I could se.. No lightflashes or anything..  :headscratch:
TheStig

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2010, 03:07:25 AM »
I see..  :headscratch:  Thank you, this was alot of good information I've never given much thought also.. Yes I remember having ho passes with blazing guns at me, no hits until the tailgunner hits me.. Exept the plane never had one.. :noid  :rofl

No wonder newbies accuses people for cheating in this game, it really takes some understanding of how online gaming works to fully understand what's really going on.  :salute

Yes some great information to know, I didnt know how it worked until now.  I've also had the same situation where I get shot down well after the plane has passed  :furious but I'm glad it's been explained.
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2010, 03:16:28 AM »
Does it affect collisions this way? I was dueling with some squad mates tonight and was told I collided and knocked one out of the air. I never got the collision message, never heard the collision, and also never shot the guy. All I saw was his tale fall off after I came around on my barrel roll and started turning back toward him. I also had an enemy zekes wing pass right through my canopy with no collision then passed over the top of another plane by 400 yards and got a collision.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2010, 03:54:56 AM »
Rgr that, then I really need to work on my aim.. Or stop loading with blanks..  :uhoh  Is there any other explaination to how you don't see any hits on a plane you are pumping full of lead?? I am pretty sure I should have landed hits on atleast a few bullets, but not even a little ping that I could se.. No lightflashes or anything..  :headscratch:

The other possible explanation would be if you have vsynch off. With vsynch on in your video card settings it's probably a case where it appears you hit but you actually missed.

Does it affect collisions this way? I was dueling with some squad mates tonight and was told I collided and knocked one out of the air. I never got the collision message, never heard the collision, and also never shot the guy. All I saw was his tale fall off after I came around on my barrel roll and started turning back toward him. I also had an enemy zekes wing pass right through my canopy with no collision then passed over the top of another plane by 400 yards and got a collision.

Yes. That's why so many people, not understanding net lag, think both aircraft should be damaged in collisions but the current collision model is the best solution to net lag. You might see one collision message or two. The bandit collided with you on his PC or you collided with the bandit on your PC or both of you collided on both PCs. If there was a collision you should have at least one message.

Offline SAJ73

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2010, 11:26:40 AM »
The other possible explanation would be if you have vsynch off. With vsynch on in your video card settings it's probably a case where it appears you hit but you actually missed.

I have vsynch enabled, but anti aliasing set to None.. If that matters in any way? Not sure what it does..  :noid
TheStig

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2010, 12:19:28 PM »
Anti-aliasing reduces the jagged appearance of diagonal lines. If it doesn't hurt your frame rate, turn it on and AH will look better. If you don't see a difference it's probably already forced on in your video card settings.

Offline crazierthanu

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 10:54:53 AM »
Sometimes when flying tater birds I occasionally fire a single round, it seems to have missed but in a few seconds they will take damage? When this happens I don't see a hit sprite or anything, just delayed damage and a kill message.
80th FS "Headhunters"
EhFex in-game.
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)