Author Topic: Question about update (In WWII)  (Read 1438 times)

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Re: Question about update (In WWII)
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
strange stuff for sure, but maybe more realistic? I mean, it's not often a real plane can belly land at 100-150mph without serious risk. Perhaps do some tests belly landing at much slower speeds? what speed were you at in the 152 Grizz, any ideas? Realisticaly I would be crapping my pants about landing a real plane belly style at even 60mph.

I was at the same speed I have belly landed at for my entire cartoon existence.  I usually come in so hard that both wings rip off leaving only a sliding fuselage.  It would be cool if it was an added feature, it puts more emphasis on landing with a gear, right now there's really no benefit with landing with one unless you want to rearm.  But since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes and Hitech said it wasn't an added feature, it makes me believe this is a serious bug.  I bet it will be addressed in Patch 3.

Offline Elfie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2010, 01:00:49 PM »
Fire only changed on ww1 stuff. TA152 has had no changes.

HiTech

Wow! You spelled everything right, including your name!!   :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 01:25:12 PM by Elfie »
Corkyjr on country jumping:
In the end you should be thankful for those players like us who switch to try and help keep things even because our willingness to do so, helps a more selfish, I want it my way player, get to fly his latewar uber ride.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2010, 01:01:56 PM »
I was flyin in my F4U-1A the other day and i got hit by a typhoon.  The only thing that was hit was the engine oil but then the controls became unresponsive and the plane rolled to the left and the wing flew off.  Is this normal?

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2010, 01:04:27 PM »
I was at the same speed I have belly landed at for my entire cartoon existence.  I usually come in so hard that both wings rip off leaving only a sliding fuselage.  It would be cool if it was an added feature, it puts more emphasis on landing with a gear, right now there's really no benefit with landing with one unless you want to rearm.  But since it wasn't mentioned in the release notes and Hitech said it wasn't an added feature, it makes me believe this is a serious bug.  I bet it will be addressed in Patch 3.

Certainly! I just wondered if you could estimate the usual speed. Reason being that in WWI arena if you try to ditch at anything over 60mph you are in for trouble. The gear usualy breaks and a few seconds later you are in the tower. Just wondering if this damage model has accidentaly (or intentionaly) been set for the entire program and not just WWI.
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2010, 01:12:49 PM »
Certainly! I just wondered if you could estimate the usual speed. Reason being that in WWI arena if you try to ditch at anything over 60mph you are in for trouble. The gear usualy breaks and a few seconds later you are in the tower. Just wondering if this damage model has accidentaly (or intentionaly) been set for the entire program and not just WWI.

I'd estimate 115-130.  As soon as my needle gets underneath 150, I start to initiate the crash landing sequence.

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2010, 01:26:11 PM »
Has the P-51D been changed? I was chased down by a F4U-1A in level flight. I had alt and was at wing creaking speed at the time. It took about a half sector to catch me but he did catch up. Not much catches up to a pony at that speed.

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2010, 02:13:06 PM »
Has the P-51D been changed? I was chased down by a F4U-1A in level flight. I had alt and was at wing creaking speed at the time. It took about a half sector to catch me but he did catch up. Not much catches up to a pony at that speed.

This thread has nothing to do with this, please start your own thread if you think the max cruise speeds got changed.

Offline mechanic

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2010, 02:26:26 PM »
I'd estimate 115-130.  As soon as my needle gets underneath 150, I start to initiate the crash landing sequence.

gotcha.

i did a few test for 10 minutes just out of curiosity. Quite interesting results. All tests conducted in the TA with current update.

152 crash tests - film link 2mb .ahf

Crash 1 - 00:15 -  Speed: 80mph - Surface: Grass - Impact: very soft - Result: left wing broken and fire started
Crash 2 - 01:15 -  Speed: 125mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: very soft - Result: no structural, no fire
Crash 3 - 02:23 -  Speed: 90mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact:  very soft - Result: no structural, no fire
Crash 4 - 04:05 -  Speed: 250mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: soft - Result: instant death, no fire
Crash 5 - 05:17 -  Speed: 195mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: soft - Result: instant death, no fire
Crash 6 - 06:00 -  Speed: 125mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: soft - result: no structural, no fire
Crash 7 - 06:45 -  Speed: 100mph - Surface: Tarmac to grass - Impact: hard wing first cartwheel to slide - Result: both wings broken, fire started. Sat burning for 1.5 mins, did not die.
Crash 8 - 08:55 -  Speed:  100mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: hard inverted - Result: heavy structural failiure, no fire
Crash 9 - 09:55 - Speed 135mph - Surface: Tarmac - Impact: very hard inverted - Result: instant death, no fire

So, without intending to test this part, it seems the only time a fire was produced was when coming into contact with grass. Though of course this was quite possibly coincidence. The highest survivable speed was 125mph although did not test between 125-150 etc.. 100mph inverted landing was no problem for the pilot to survive. Yet 80mph very soft landing on grass caused a fire and broken wing. NOTE: no fire was visible from the cockpit internal view at any time. Clearly the grass thing might not be an issue because i assume you were landing on tarmac when it happened.

strange results, not sure if they help at all,. Was fun to crash 9 times though :)
S!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:38:17 PM by mechanic »
And I don't know much, but I do know this. With a golden heart comes a rebel fist.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2010, 02:37:07 PM »
The few times I didnt die outright last night, I bellied what was left of the "N" in a few times at 150-ish...nothin unusual happened
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: March 13, 2010, 03:14:06 PM »
Interesting batfink.  Yes I was on the pavement when I was lit en fuego.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: March 13, 2010, 03:23:59 PM »
A8 used to have a bug...belly damaged on runway (ANY sort of damage)...if you dawdled, plane exploded
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2010, 04:55:42 PM »
Very strange then.   :headscratch:

Gremlins...... :noid
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2010, 05:23:31 PM »
I was flyin in my F4U-1A the other day and i got hit by a typhoon.  The only thing that was hit was the engine oil but then the controls became unresponsive and the plane rolled to the left and the wing flew off.  Is this normal?

branch, i heard this may be a bug also and happening in a bunch of planes.

Offline Flayed

• Copper Member
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2010, 02:46:13 PM »
  Just my little observation.  Was flying the other night and in 3 different cases someone was belly landing in front of me and poof instant mach.  1 on a carrier and 2 on fields.   I don't recall ever seeing so many fires from landings.     Maybe I'm just seeing things but at the time it seemed odd.
Bringing peace to the MA's 1 explody thingy at a time! :)

Pork em Pork em all!!!
  And the best quote EVERRRRR!!!
"All I can say is wow,some people are really stuck on stupid."
HiTech

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2010, 04:04:31 PM »
I was flyin in my F4U-1A the other day and i got hit by a typhoon.  The only thing that was hit was the engine oil but then the controls became unresponsive and the plane rolled to the left and the wing flew off.  Is this normal?

Go offline. Shoot a drone and see what happens now instead of it exploding. It will roll shed a wing and go down. Is this what happened to you?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV