Author Topic: Hurricane 1 engine cut out  (Read 582 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Hurricane 1 engine cut out
« on: March 13, 2010, 08:51:09 PM »
It used to be (and was like this for as long as I can recall) that neg Gs in a Hurricane mk1 would cut out it's engine but when you went back to Positive Gs the engine would kick back in.  If you did some severe neg G moves for a length of time the engine would cut out and have to be manually restarted.  (having to restart the engine was fairly rare)

NOW any neg G cutout kills the engine and requires you to manually restart it.  Dip y'er nose down slightly and you have to restart the engine.  This has only started happening since the new version.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Hurricane 1 engine cut out
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 11:40:00 PM »
It used to be (and was like this for as long as I can recall) that neg Gs in a Hurricane mk1 would cut out it's engine but when you went back to Positive Gs the engine would kick back in.  If you did some severe neg G moves for a length of time the engine would cut out and have to be manually restarted.  (having to restart the engine was fairly rare)

NOW any neg G cutout kills the engine and requires you to manually restart it.  Dip y'er nose down slightly and you have to restart the engine.  This has only started happening since the new version.
Just noticed this my self Spit1 has same issue.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
Also seems to cut out when manually switching gas tanks, as noted here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,285451.0.html

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 03:26:04 PM »
Quote from: Patch 2.18.3 Readme
Engine cutouts from negative G cutout or selecting through an empty fuel tank no longer requires a manual start.
:banana:
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline mavrik1990

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 06:26:36 PM »
As far as I know the Spit I and the Hurricane Mark I Are not fuel injected like the other planes in this game. They use a carburetor. So as you can see negative G's  would cut the flow of fuel to the engine causing it to stall.

<<S>> All thanks for making me use my brain.  :airplane:

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 06:28:15 PM »
That's not the issue. Don't worry, patch 3 says they fixed the problem at hand.

Offline mavrik1990

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 06:30:18 PM »
You sure about that Krusty?

Offline mavrik1990

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 06:37:44 PM »
best I could do.

It is worth mentioning that Spitfires had carburetors, not fuel injection, and the engines would quit for lack of fuel if the aircraft was flown upside down. This problem was not solved until an improved carb was adopted for the late production Mk. V and subsequent models. Mk. II's were armed with either eight machine guns, or a mix of four machine guns and two cannons. All Spitfires of this period had the signature elliptical plan wings, and were (in my opinion) among the most graceful of all fighter planes.

Source: http://hubpages.com/hub/World-War-2-Best-Fighter-Planes

:rock

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 06:58:32 PM »
The Spitfire MK.I and Hurricane MK.I have always had engine stalls under negative G's; but they usually start up again (and do so again) after you pull some positive G's, instead of staying off until you press the E key again.

The bit after the semicolon was the bug.

Offline mavrik1990

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 07:28:18 PM »
Right, but that's how it always should have been if the engine dies it can not just come back on by itself. You have to crank the engine again to get it going. If you have an older car with a carb you can test this. Obliviously not by doing negative G's because that's impossible LOL, but if you block the fuel from the carb to the intake the engine will cut off. In doing so it also shuts the fuel pump off so even if you unblock it it will not run. You have to restart it to get the engine going again.

<<S>> maybe I am just a moron we will have to wait for a response from Skuzzy to see.  :rolleyes:

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 07:45:26 PM »
Right, but that's how it always should have been if the engine dies it can not just come back on by itself. You have to crank the engine again to get it going. If you have an older car with a carb you can test this. Obliviously not by doing negative G's because that's impossible LOL, but if you block the fuel from the carb to the intake the engine will cut off. In doing so it also shuts the fuel pump off so even if you unblock it it will not run. You have to restart it to get the engine going again.

<<S>> maybe I am just a moron we will have to wait for a response from Skuzzy to see.  :rolleyes:

Really? Ever pop start a stick?  No cranking involved.
See Rule #4

Offline Baumer

• Silver Member
      • 332nd Flying Mongrels
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 07:47:29 PM »
Most WW2 era aircraft engines had mechanical fuel pumps, not electric, so if the magneto switch is on (L, R, or Both) the engine would fire as soon as fuel is delivered.
HTC Please show the blue planes some love!
F4F-4, FM2, SBD-5, TBM-3

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 07:49:47 PM »
As long as the prop is turning and the switches are left on the engine should restart itself as soon as the G force became positive.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:07:39 PM by SIK1 »
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline mavrik1990

• Zinc Member
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 08:00:21 PM »
I see thank you for the correction. I did not know that. I guess I am a dumb bellybutton when it comes to planes.  :headscratch:

:salute