Author Topic: Stick Issues - CH vs. Saitek X52  (Read 1589 times)

Offline chrishy

• Zinc Member
      • Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group
Stick Issues - CH vs. Saitek X52
« on: March 14, 2010, 11:29:39 AM »
Question, I've been out of AH for a few years, just bought a new system and will be returning.  I'm and old CH die hard, and am wondering if I'll be disappointed with the X52, or should just suck it up and spend the xtra $ for the CH stick, throt & pedals?  Also is the X52 compatible with rudder pedals?  Any known isues with windows 7?  Thanks in advance for your help!

chrishy
Aces High, C.O. Dickweed Heavy Bomber Group: www.dickweedhbg.com

Offline minke

• Nickel Member
Re: Stick Issues - CH vs. Saitek X52
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 12:50:32 PM »
I have the x52pro and I am perfectly happy with it for 3 years or so now. Never used ch stuff before but will give em a go If this one ever dies on me. I am using win7 64 bit, which found the drivers straight away. Never needed to install saiteks software, (which i had to do with xp) and yes, you can use any pedals you like. I also have saiteks throttle quadrant, Logitech G15 keyboard and G13 game board. All work together beautifully. The one weak spot with my stick so far is that I have pulled out the cable a couple of times whilst playing, and is now a tad loose.

Offline chrishy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 01:04:17 PM »
Thanks Minke............

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 01:19:58 PM »
I never had the X52, but I did use the Aviator when I was on the road. I have all CH at home. I much prefer my CH stuff.

Offline L0nGb0w

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 02:37:17 AM »
I use the X52 and CH pedals on vista 64 bit, no problems  :aok
~Kommando Nowotny~
ZLA - Don't Focke Wulf Us

Offline Wobbly

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:46:27 AM »
I have an X52, then a CH fighterstick came up on ebay so I tried it, and for me its far better than the x52 stick in terms of accuracy - e.g. minute movements of the turret when GVing, smoother flying etc. I now use the CH with the X52 throttle.
Game ID: Blimey

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:47:13 AM »
CH  >  X52.
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline chrishy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 07:30:18 AM »
Thanks to all who've replied, I'm definitely leaning towards the CH stuff

chrishy

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 10:58:29 AM »
I have a CH Fighterstick and CH Pedals.   My (non-Pro, as that is $100 more than the regular X52) regular X52 had two hats, and most of the buttons and throttle go out within 6 months (on a powered USB hub).   The Saitek needed calibration at least once a week.   

CH.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:46:42 PM »
Had one X-52 that was nothing but trouble.  This one I've had 7 months and never calibrated.  Works perfectly.
Bought a CH Fighterstick and didn't like it.  It had a tighter on-center feel, but not nearly as comfortable as X-52.
CH is also somewhat awkward unless your hands are big enough to palm a basketball.  It's a long reach from the bottom to the hat.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 02:14:36 PM »
well for years I have used Saitek, had the x-52 for two years the moment I used it it was very loose and just kept getting worse so about a month ago I had to go get a new one, I got the cyborg-x, two days and buttons started breaking, 4 days and the twisty broke, that did not really matter because I got the Saitek pro peddles(which indecently work great :rolleyes:) I was still using the throttle from the X-52, so I ordered the CH Fighter stick, $104 online, have had it about 5 days now and the thing is awesome very accurate, smooth, takes no pressure to move the stick, although the stick top area is large and its a reach to get to the Hat switch, it is well worth it!!!

so now I use the x-52 throttle, the CH fighter stick and saitek pro-peddles, the throttle on the fighter stick I use for RPM, seems to be the best setup I have had yet!!

Offline Fianna40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 09:20:00 PM »
Could I ask a slightly related stick question? I'm new, and I purchased a Saitek Cyborg X. I've been learning how to get an airplane moved about, and learned various ways to crash or 'ditch' while attempting to land. When I tried mapping the controller, I noticed that AH assigned tasks one off of the actual button number (ex: it thinks that button#3 is the look up function, while it's #4). Is this normal, or did I map it wrong? And are there any recommend mapping lists for fighters, bombers or vehicles that people have found useful with a Cyborg stick?

Any help would be appreciated. :joystick:
"This is it chaps" - 'Paddy' Finucane

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 12:34:41 PM »
...so now I use the x-52 throttle, the CH fighter stick and saitek pro-peddles, the throttle on the fighter stick I use for RPM, seems to be the best setup I have had yet!!

Same here. The CH fighter stick is superior to the X-52 stick in most ways - smoother and seemingly better built. However as Caldera mentioned, if you have smaller hands, you might find it a bit uncomfortable at first. I've kept the X-52 throttle and use the Saitek pedals. I use the slider on the throttle for RPM though.

The X-52 is still a relatively cost effective way to get a good set-up if you're starting from scratch.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 02:01:12 PM »
Could I ask a slightly related stick question? I'm new, and I purchased a Saitek Cyborg X. I've been learning how to get an airplane moved about, and learned various ways to crash or 'ditch' while attempting to land. When I tried mapping the controller, I noticed that AH assigned tasks one off of the actual button number (ex: it thinks that button#3 is the look up function, while it's #4). Is this normal, or did I map it wrong? And are there any recommend mapping lists for fighters, bombers or vehicles that people have found useful with a Cyborg stick?

Any help would be appreciated. :joystick:

well I would say go in and remap every thing that you need in a fight to the stick, map your up view to the #6 button, so you can hit it with your thumb when you have your left hand on throttle, the most important buttons map to the stick, the functions you need while fighting, IE; Flaps, look up,WEP, secondary weapon,(in other words dont have your primary and secondary on trigger)
I would suggest going offline and setting it up a few different ways until you are happy with it, (where you don't have to remove your hand from the stick while fighting)

good luck :aok

Offline Fianna40

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
well I would say go in and remap every thing that you need in a fight to the stick, map your up view to the #6 button, so you can hit it with your thumb when you have your left hand on throttle, the most important buttons map to the stick, the functions you need while fighting, IE; Flaps, look up,WEP, secondary weapon,(in other words dont have your primary and secondary on trigger)
I would suggest going offline and setting it up a few different ways until you are happy with it, (where you don't have to remove your hand from the stick while fighting)

good luck :aok

Thanks for this. I'll try it out. I suspect that the different control modes will be best used for bomber versus fighter missions?
"This is it chaps" - 'Paddy' Finucane