Author Topic: If I happen to HO you  (Read 4239 times)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: If I happen to HO you
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2010, 03:30:34 PM »
The 2% of the people who read the forums aren't going to change anything, this is true.

What I have trouble understanding when it comes to the HO vs Not HO and the 'Stay out of my duel!' mentality, is it's pretty contrary to what the MA is about, isn't it?

The MA, supposedly, is about taking enough bases for your side to win the war, right?  Pretty much the most effective way to do that is by bullying the other side off their bases so you can capture it, right?  That's generally done with numbers clashing overhead, not with a bracket of one on one duels to decide who gets to keep the base, right?  Leaving the 'nobody bombs or troops' arguments aside...

Regardless of 'Honor' or what have you, the main objective of the arena is to push the other side around.  If everybody in one of the countries upped an armada of Typhoons in front of B24s and C47s, and HO'ed everything in sight, they'd roll the map PDQ.  Effective?  Certainly.  Fun and exciting?  Not particularly.  (Though it would be quite the sight to see...)

It just seems to me that the MA is designed around pushing the other side around more so than rewarding those with the most outstanding ACM capabilities.  Certainly, killing people through superior ACM is a good way to go about things, but it is not always the most effective or efficient, depending on the situation.  In the last week, I've been on the receiving end of some very effective demonstrations of what 3 or 4 fast cannon armed planes in the right hands can do to keep a field suppressed once it's deacked.  Vulching?  Sure.  It's also awfully hard to mount an offensive from that field at that point.

Wiley.

the "war" is there to promote AIR COMBAT plain and simple.

The "war" is and should always be secondary.

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2010, 03:33:04 PM »
the "war" is there to promote COMBAT plain and simple.

I agree with you Ink, but had to correct you.
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:17 PM »
The game is about fun.... there is nothing fun about getting ho'd  or ganged by an excessive number of cons.... its just plain boring. For some the game is about the challenge and the excitement associated with it, for others its an ego trip.... there is no challenge in ganging, there is no challenge, in hoing.

Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Bear76

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2010, 03:38:32 PM »

Apparently, you didn't read anything I wrote, and hence it is pointless to rebut this. I am neither an inexperienced player nor amongst the elite or even the very good--- with that said it isn't always that easy. I have never understood why SOME (few I hope) people in this game are so given to excessive pride and rudeness. Another sign of the collapse of civility in our society I suppose. One CAN argue forcefully, passionately, and even wittily for one's ideas and against what I have written, but it shouldn't have to be an ad hominem insult.

I'm not sure Steve's comment was meant as an insult. Mine certainly wasn't. The problem with "text" is it doesn't always convey intent. You presented a well thought out arguement, but this is a touchy issue and will always be a point of contention.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2010, 04:10:49 PM »
the "war" is there to promote AIR COMBAT plain and simple.

A reasonable statement.  The standard behavior in the MA seems to point to the majority feeling differently though.  I just don't see how it's reasonable when there are 2 forces 20 planes strong in an area to expect people to politely pair off into 20 'honorable duels'.  Frankly, that's not anywhere near as exciting as a furball, IMO.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2010, 04:52:58 PM »
Ace's High is about air combat......Yes, the GV's are there but, that is all secondary. The war is probably third.....IMO.

As far as the HO is concerned I 100% agree w/ Impakt. I HO as well but, that is just one of many ways to win a fight. I prefer to use the way that will win the fight and not damage my plane with the exception being some of the things Impakt stated.

If I know I'm flying against fragile zekes.... and I'm flying an F4F; I'll set my convergence farther out HO and break when I get to 400. It's very hard to hit me w/ the zekes poor ballistics cannons and the 7mm popgun doesn't do much. After all I can't turn and can't slow down vs. the zeke. If I don't have altitude to B-n-Z and, don't have help with me I don't have too many options.

It seems to me most of the people that are pissed at the HO should really be pissed at themselves for putting themselves in the situation in the first place. And, I agree it is sometimes made a moral issue in the MA..... That's BS.....

Another few weeks or so from now this subject will come up again and we'll rehash it. It will never end............

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2010, 05:00:34 PM »
never mind... moving on..
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Wagger

• Silver Member
« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2010, 05:53:28 PM »
My name is wagger and I am a HOer.   :cheers:

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2010, 06:37:20 PM »
A reasonable statement.  The standard behavior in the MA seems to point to the majority feeling differently though.  I just don't see how it's reasonable when there are 2 forces 20 planes strong in an area to expect people to politely pair off into 20 'honorable duels'.  Frankly, that's not anywhere near as exciting as a furball, IMO.

Wiley.

heck no a good "furball" is awesome just like a good 1vs1

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2010, 06:56:45 PM »
heck no a good "furball" is awesome just like a good 1vs1

Yep, I find both a good time. It does kind of suck when the furball peters out and you're the only green guy around, but hey that's how you get better.  :D
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2010, 07:12:10 PM »
Ace's High is about air combat......Yes, the GV's are there but, that is all secondary. The war is probably third.....IMO.

As far as the HO is concerned I 100% agree w/ Impakt. I HO as well but, that is just one of many ways to win a fight. I prefer to use the way that will win the fight and not damage my plane with the exception being some of the things Impakt stated.

If I know I'm flying against fragile zekes.... and I'm flying an F4F; I'll set my convergence farther out HO and break when I get to 400. It's very hard to hit me w/ the zekes poor ballistics cannons and the 7mm popgun doesn't do much. After all I can't turn and can't slow down vs. the zeke. If I don't have altitude to B-n-Z and, don't have help with me I don't have too many options.

It seems to me most of the people that are pissed at the HO should really be pissed at themselves for putting themselves in the situation in the first place. And, I agree it is sometimes made a moral issue in the MA..... That's BS.....

Another few weeks or so from now this subject will come up again and we'll rehash it. It will never end............

Make up your mind, combat is FIGHTING, HOin is just killing, and has absolutely NO fighting involved.  :rolleyes:

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
See Joe as long as they get a kill they think it's a fight.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2010, 08:03:21 PM »
 :cry  Sad isn't it?  :frown:

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:30 PM »
Fugitive you complain so much it is really hard to respect anything you say.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Apparently, you didn't read anything I wrote, and hence it is pointless to rebut this.

Then why are you?

I am neither an inexperienced player nor amongst the elite or even the very good--- with that said it isn't always that easy.

I didn't make any comment on your skill/experience whatsoever. Zip, nada not one.  Did you read my post?

I have never understood why SOME (few I hope) people in this game are so given to excessive pride and rudeness. Another sign of the collapse of civility in our society I suppose. One CAN argue forcefully, passionately, and even wittily for one's ideas and against what I have written, but it shouldn't have to be an ad hominem insult

There's not a single insult of you in my post.. anywhere. Zip, nada, not one. Please, grow a few layers of skin, yours is way  way too thin.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve