Author Topic: Industrial wind farms  (Read 5478 times)

Offline warhed

• Silver Member
Re: Industrial wind farms
« Reply #120 on: March 23, 2010, 03:40:37 AM »
oboe, quick question for ya...if you had 1,000 of your wind turbines, how many MW is that, roughly?
warhed
=Wings of Terror=

"Give me sheep, or give me death!"

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #121 on: March 23, 2010, 04:44:04 AM »
a little off topic,

But how many here have tried the ecosmart light bulbs?

I bought a 100 watt equilvlant that is only suppose to use 27 watts for my home office..

They are suppose to last twice as long as an "incandescent light bulb"..

I have had them in my house for the last 5 years. I think I have replaced one of them. Australia  banned the use of incandescent light bulbs in 2007.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 04:46:09 AM by FTJR »
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #122 on: March 23, 2010, 06:04:46 AM »
solar makes great sense to me in one respect......
when the sun is shining, and it damn hot out, that's when you use it to run your a/c

You can use energy from air-cooling/condition to heat up your boiler. Unless you live in a place hot enough to require only cooling and cold showers ;)
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #123 on: March 23, 2010, 06:06:34 AM »
oboe, quick question for ya...if you had 1,000 of your wind turbines, how many MW is that, roughly?

I am not oboe, but 1,000 of the GE design would be 4,000MW.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: March 23, 2010, 06:26:31 AM »
I hope this image works, anyway, our (Iceland) biggest hydro-powerstation only performs 690 MW. It's a monstrosity, but nothing close to the total of the hoover dam's 2080 MW.
Here it is:

So, the wind-complex is much bigger. Not as big as this though, whooping 14.000 MW. Link here.
http://ga.water.usgs.gov/edu/hybiggest.html
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #125 on: March 23, 2010, 07:02:40 AM »

Nameplate capacity on my company's wind turbine is 2.5MW, so 1000 would 2500 MW.   Not as big as the new GEs, but they have a 10MW model in development.   Always a race to make the biggest.  GEs are very well-designed machines.  There are 144 of their 1.5MW model installed at the site I work at.

National Geographic has a simple but kind of cool interactive graphic whichs demonstrates the relationship between energy output and blade diameter, wind speed, and altitude. http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/global-warming/wind-power-interactive/

Offline MiloMorai

• Platinum Member
« Reply #126 on: March 23, 2010, 07:15:26 AM »
Angus, how is the geo-thermal project coming along?

Offline ghostdancer

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #127 on: March 23, 2010, 08:54:57 AM »
Skuzzy about the downside of electricity demand what you talk about happened here in Florida.

Basically everybody started to conserve / use less electricty by various means. FP&L reacted by raising everybody's rates since there was less demand.
X.O. 29th TFT, "We Move Mountains"
CM Terrain Team

Offline soda72

• Platinum Member
« Reply #128 on: March 23, 2010, 10:00:44 AM »
Speaking of mini- nuc reactors... looks like Bill Gates has taken an interest...
Mini-reactors could last up to 100 years without refuelling, unlike today's units which need replenishing every few years.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/8582692.stm

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:02:25 AM by soda72 »

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #129 on: March 23, 2010, 10:15:45 AM »
Angus, how is the geo-thermal project coming along?

Good....and bad.
Lots of energy can be tapped off as steam energy, with or without pumping water into deep layers of lava rock. However there is some concern about whether Pandora's box is being opened, since some nasty side effects are encountered, - i.e. poisonus gases and such. As well as the stink of fart or rotten eggs :D
Here is one, 213 MW:
http://www.or.is/UmOR/Veiturogveitusvaedi/Virkjanir/Hellisheidarvirkjun/
Link to areal pictures:
http://fraedsla.or.is/raforka/?v=2jardvarmavirkjanir/2hellisheidi
With deep drillings, new areas worldwide would be opened up for this kind of electrical production. Costs are going rapidly down, as the techniques involved get steadily more refined.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #130 on: March 23, 2010, 10:51:11 AM »
There was also that one company that had to shut down its geo-thermal operations due to it causing earthquakes.  Seems the steam was finding its way inbetween plates, acting like a lubricant, making it easier for the plates to slide around.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #131 on: March 23, 2010, 02:09:38 PM »
There was also that one company that had to shut down its geo-thermal operations due to it causing earthquakes.  Seems the steam was finding its way inbetween plates, acting like a lubricant, making it easier for the plates to slide around.

I wonder if this company hit upon a way to prevent mega-quakes?

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #132 on: March 23, 2010, 07:19:29 PM »
a little off topic,

But how many here have tried the ecosmart light bulbs?

I bought a 100 watt equilvlant that is only suppose to use 27 watts for my home office..

They are suppose to last twice as long as an "incandescent light bulb"..
If I wanted my effing light to turn on 2 minutes from now I'd have turned it on 2 minutes aGO :furious
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline dkff49

• Silver Member
« Reply #133 on: March 23, 2010, 08:31:13 PM »
If I wanted my effing light to turn on 2 minutes from now I'd have turned it on 2 minutes aGO :furious

Many of them come on just as fast as the incandescent bulbs do. I have been using CFL's for several years now and have no issues with them and the only one I have replaced was the one I broke in my basement.

My advice is don't buy the cheapest ones you can find. Those are usually the ones that take a few seconds to come on after throwing the switch.
Haxxor has returned!!!!
Dave

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #134 on: March 23, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
The CFL's in my home turn on instantly.  Been using them for years.  I have never seen one that took any time at all to come on.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese