Author Topic: Tank damage model  (Read 1275 times)

Offline nipper

• Copper Member
Re: Tank damage model
« Reply #30 on: March 24, 2010, 02:32:50 AM »
I can't find it, so maybe someone else has a better memory and/or search skills than I . . . But the recesses of my brain say that someone posted some screenshots or perhaps a link that showed some of the calculations going into the damage model of eithe red orchestra or wwIIol or some other game, and said something to the effect that he wished AHII's GV damage model was as detailed.  To which, one of the staffers answered / asked:  What makes you think it isn't?

I remeber that post, it was about this clip I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpUVtVUBTI&feature=youtube_gdata

can't remember what the staff said.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:38 AM »
Now there's an idea!!!   :aok
shove the panther in there to have the same effect...
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: March 24, 2010, 10:05:34 AM »
Go to hell fighter jock. If a sizable portion of the community (Gv'ers) wants hills, then its important. Just because the game is mostly aircraft doesn't mean that tanks have to wait till no one wants anything else. Honestly, I think new GV's and getting our hills back supercedes the WWI arena in importance.

:lol ... a little touchy eh ? ... I guess the truth hurts.

HT and company knows what lines their pockets with money and that would be WWI/WWII aircraft simulation ... that is their mainstay ... that is what keeps the lights on.

From what I can see, the introduction of WWI has brought back previous players that put AH to the side and god knows how many new people it has attracted or will attract as it's development progresses. I doubt the introduction of a new tank would achieve the same results.

I too think the introduction/development of new GVs would be great ... but I am a realist and have been around far too long to try and second guess what is best for HTC ... Dale's and Doug's track record for being successful is second to none.
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: March 24, 2010, 10:38:33 AM »
the damage model is the least of the problems (if it even is a problem) with GVing.

#1 for me is terrain stuff - little bushes that flip a 60 tonne battle tank, thin foliage that stops a tank round, then lack of usable terrain (the hills/berms we used to have.)

#2 object visibility stuff - depending on your settings its not a level playing field like the air combat is.

I like the odd sortie in a tank but #1 and #2 mean I cant take it seriously :(
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline opposum

• Probation
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
Possum...did you happen to notice how stupid the flight models and damage models were on the aircraft in WW2OL? With AH the ground war is a secondary element that is not the main focus...in WW2OL the ground war is the primary focus so the air element suffers...you get the idea.

I'm betting if HTC had more staff to create all the WWII goodness everyone is wiggling for...it would be included and accurate beyond what others are doing.

I agree, WW2OL damage model for the airplanes SUCKS 100% but I absolutely love the ground vehicles damage model, I would rather it any day over ours we have now

opposum
/_|o[____]o
[1---L-OllllllO-
()_)()_)=°°=)_)

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2010, 12:14:27 PM »
I think the funny part is the kid is assuming.........  Anybody looking at your score would know GV'ing is 2nd most in your book.   :bolt:

:lol ... a little touchy eh ? ... I guess the truth hurts.
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2010, 12:24:10 PM »
I agree, WW2OL damage model for the airplanes SUCKS 100% but I absolutely love the ground vehicles damage model, I would rather it any day over ours we have now

here ya go:

We already are doing all you are asking for. In fact that would almost be an exact film of the way we do things with vehicle damage.

HiTech

:aok
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 12:26:10 PM by RTHolmes »
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline SlapShot

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2010, 12:31:07 PM »
I think the funny part is the kid is assuming.........  Anybody looking at your score would know GV'ing is 2nd most in your book.   :bolt:

Yup ... don't spend much time in them anymore outside of using them for defensive purposes ... I did more GVing back in the AHI days and was pretty deadly in a tank back then ... :D
SlapShot - Blue Knights

Guppy: "The only risk we take is the fight, and since no one really dies, the reward is the fight."

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 02:37:44 PM »
Last night, I was repeatedly attacking a Panzer that was on a downslope who in turn was shelling an airbase.  A Wirb was over the crest of the hill protecting his flank. So this limited me to attacking the Panzer's front left quarter / topside, then popping up, rolling inverted, and flying back down the slope to avoid the flak.  I easily had 8 runs on him - probably more - scoring hits with a Yak from D3 or less - I could see the impacts, including the top of the turret.  He never died (although I augered once, ok, twice, giving him the kill.)  I've killed Panzers with the Yak 37mm before, so this seemed very strange.  
Callsign: nag

Offline vonKrimm

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2010, 02:44:24 PM »
Last night, I was repeatedly attacking a Panzer that was on a downslope who in turn was shelling an airbase.  A Wirb was over the crest of the hill protecting his flank. So this limited me to attacking the Panzer's front left quarter / topside, then popping up, rolling inverted, and flying back down the slope to avoid the flak.  I easily had 8 runs on him - probably more - scoring hits with a Yak from D3 or less - I could see the impacts, including the top of the turret.  He never died (although I augered once, ok, twice, giving him the kill.)  I've killed Panzers with the Yak 37mm before, so this seemed very strange.  

:rolleyes: So not being able to kill a tank outright with a HE round is bothering you?  I suggest you check the real world penetration for that round vs. the real world armor thickness of a Pz IV.  Let us know what you find.  :rofl

Just because you used to be able to do it is no reason to expect that you can still do it.

Fight Like a Girl

Offline maus92

• Zinc Member
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2010, 03:20:53 PM »
:rolleyes: So not being able to kill a tank outright with a HE round is bothering you?  I suggest you check the real world penetration for that round vs. the real world armor thickness of a Pz IV.  Let us know what you find.  :rofl

Just because you used to be able to do it is no reason to expect that you can still do it.

Wow.  About 3 weeks ago I could kill a Panzer with the Yak.  Haven't flown it again until last night.  So, was there a change in the round characteristics, or the Panzer, or the damage model?  A legitimate question.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:22:38 PM by maus92 »
Callsign: nag

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2010, 04:21:10 PM »
321BAR, the problem stems from tanks either (seemingly) takeing too much damage and still staying usable, or guns being seemingly too strong.

The M4 is unrealisticly tough to take out unless its an uparmored version as well (I don't think it is). At one time, Dr7 either took NINE HVAP rounds from a T-34/76 to the turret with no effect, or has found a way to make the resupply repair his tank again. I would have gone for a hull shot, but he was hull-down behind one of the ridges that have replaced our hills and burms (but not filled their shoes), as most effective cover.

And the tiger's gun is unrealisticly weak against some tanks (notably the M4 and T-34/76). Yesterday, I survived a hit from a tiger AT POINT BLANK RANGE in a T-34/76 TO THE REAR.

I even killed Lunatic1 (he was the tiger driver) when tracked, and after taking 4 hits from panzers at various ranges (can happen), 7 from an M4 at medium-long range (around 2000yds) to the rear, and 2 from his tiger at point blank range. Litteraly, he was maybe 20 feet from me (feet, not yards).

And you all

If lunatic1 has a BB account, I would like him to come confrim this.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 04:31:14 PM by Nemisis »
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #42 on: March 24, 2010, 04:26:08 PM »
I loaded up COD1 yesterday for some old school play. Got to the russian tank level. I steered clear of all the trees until I couldn't anymore and stopped. Then it confused me when the drone tanks ran them over. So I tried running them over and did it successfully. Too much AH I guess. ;)
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #43 on: March 24, 2010, 07:44:58 PM »
I remeber that post, it was about this clip I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzpUVtVUBTI&feature=youtube_gdata

can't remember what the staff said.

here ya go:

:aok

Glad Ripper and RTHolmes had a better memory than I did.

The post link . . .

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,263279.0.html
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: March 24, 2010, 08:23:58 PM »
321BAR, the problem stems from tanks either (seemingly) takeing too much damage and still staying usable, or guns being seemingly too strong.

The M4 is unrealisticly tough to take out unless its an uparmored version as well (I don't think it is). At one time, Dr7 either took NINE HVAP rounds from a T-34/76 to the turret with no effect, or has found a way to make the resupply repair his tank again. I would have gone for a hull shot, but he was hull-down behind one of the ridges that have replaced our hills and burms (but not filled their shoes), as most effective cover.

And the tiger's gun is unrealisticly weak against some tanks (notably the M4 and T-34/76). Yesterday, I survived a hit from a tiger AT POINT BLANK RANGE in a T-34/76 TO THE REAR.

I even killed Lunatic1 (he was the tiger driver) when tracked, and after taking 4 hits from panzers at various ranges (can happen), 7 from an M4 at medium-long range (around 2000yds) to the rear, and 2 from his tiger at point blank range. Litteraly, he was maybe 20 feet from me (feet, not yards).

And you all

If lunatic1 has a BB account, I would like him to come confrim this.
One: HVAP is only effective under a certain range. pretty sure thats 1,200.
TWO: The Sherman Firefly had 89MM frontal turret armor! :rolleyes:
Three: The T34/76 AND /85 both have equal frontal and rear armor protection.
Four: Just because youre in a tiger doesnt mean you know where to shoot on tanks...
Five: Range means everything to every tank here. The tigers rounds went straight through your tank and didnt explode cuz of how close u were. If medium range is 2000yds then im flying a beaufighter everytime i get into AHII. Now if only i knew what you were in and i can destroy this post even more :aok
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy