Author Topic: Icon Philosophy - Approach  (Read 8908 times)

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
Re: Icon Philosophy - Approach
« Reply #60 on: March 26, 2010, 01:41:08 PM »
I was not full of watermelon when I was talking...

That was probably the only time  :neener:

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 26, 2010, 01:49:10 PM »
1.) Why are there icons now?

2.) How many times people came up with such a brilliant idea as no icons? Why and what happened to those ideas/proposals?

3.) Why do we have icons now?

4.) If others can't understand what a grand idea that is, why you guys simply don't ask HiTech to change the arena settings.

5.) Why are there icons now?

1, 3, and 5 - I don't know why exactly, fill me in.  I did not make the game.

2 and 4 - I have no clue how many others before me came up with this "brilliant" idea.  Frankly, Skuzzy does not appreciate people calling him for every idea and request, I speculate. That's why the bbs is here.  We can write our ideas, he can ignore them 99% of the time and go about his business.
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #62 on: March 26, 2010, 01:50:44 PM »
Yeah, but one of the biggest talking points of the no icon crowd is that it negates the bounce, or the low six sneak.  Not saying the no icons causes it, but I think you'd find the vast majority (I'd bet at least 13 of the 17 ;) ) of the no icon crowd has that playstyle, or pretty close to it.
You obviously haven't been in the AvA recently, otherwise you would not have posted such nonsense...  :neener:

Neither has Bighorn or Dedalos...but they keep talking like they know what's going on too...  :joystick:
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2010, 01:59:36 PM »
SEraider, do you remember the night in AH? Do you know why we don't have it anymore?

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2010, 02:04:28 PM »
SEraider, do you remember the night in AH? Do you know why we don't have it anymore?

I don't know what you are talking about.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2010, 02:10:38 PM »
I don't know what you are talking about.

The night time. No sun, but moon and stars. The darkness. The evil of realism. And most of what you described in your first post.

Guess what happened?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2010, 02:21:51 PM »
You obviously haven't been in the AvA recently, otherwise you would not have posted such nonsense...  :neener:

I'll grant you the point that I haven't been in there.  When I've noticed the AvA logging in, it's had around 30-50 players in it.  15v15 doesn't really do it for me on a typical evening.

Sure, when one group of that type gets caught low on takeoff by a higher group of the same type, you get low fighting.  :neener:  The large amount of Brewsters you mentioned tells me the AvA probably gets used for getting familiar with this week's FSO plane by some.  That negates the altmonkeying to a certain degree as well.

But in an all planes all the time arena, I feel pretty comfortable saying it would be a good deal of fast aircraft going to ludicrous alt before engaging, only their job of picking is easier due to the lack of a hit-me sticker.

Bighorn- What happened was, he fixes the cable, didn't he?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2010, 02:23:14 PM »
Lo and when the night fell across the land, the aces of high fell upon their twinkies and crieth out unto the lord HiTech,
Saying, Lord please let there be light for the darkness maketh us to miss the battle and plow the earth exceedingly with our machines.
And the Lord HiTech sayeth unto the aces of high, I have given thee gamma that thou mayest change as thou wisheth to see that which art not seen.
And the aces of high cried again unto the Lord HiTech, but we cannot maketh the gamma to work as thou promised us in the gospel of readme,
it maketh our eyes to hurt when the sun again riseth upon the land and doth make battle unseemly, and the cry upon the land was great.
Then the Lord HiTech sayeth unto the aces of high, yea tho I have given thee tools with which to do battle upon the night thou crieth unto the heavens greatly that mine ears hurt from the sound, I shall grant thee eternal light that thou shalt not have to tilleth the land with thy machines or misseth one upon the other in battle.

That's what happened Raider.

it's friday and i'm at the office bored...  :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:25:08 PM by gyrene81 »
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2010, 02:25:11 PM »
The night time. No sun, but moon and stars. The darkness. The evil of realism. And most of what you described in your first post.

Guess what happened?

I was not playing yet in those days.  

But I hear people saying who did, they missed it.  I heard more people say they liked it than not.  

There is hardly a correlation between night time flying and no enemy icons. Unless I am missing your point.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2010, 02:27:25 PM »
Lo and when the night fell across the land, the aces of high fell upon their twinkies and crieth out unto the lord HiTech,
Saying, Lord please let there be light for the darkness maketh us to miss the battle and plow the earth exceedingly with our machines.
And the Lord HiTech sayeth unto the aces of high, I have given thee gamma that thou mayest change as thou wisheth to see that which art not seen.
And the aces of high cried again unto the Lord HiTech, but we cannot maketh the gamma to work as thou promised us in the gospel of readme,
it maketh our eyes to hurt when the sun again riseth upon the land and doth make battle unseemly, and the cry upon the land was great.
Then the Lord HiTech sayeth unto the aces of high, yea tho I have given thee tools with which to do battle upon the night thou crieth unto the heavens greatly that mine ears hurt from the sound, I shall grant thee eternal light that thou shalt not have to tilleth the land with thy machines or misseth one upon the other in battle.

That's what happened Raider.

it's friday and i'm at the office bored...  :D

:rofl  :rofl  :rofl  :rofl

I am hardly productive at the office today too.  Which means I am staying late again.  :)

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2010, 02:29:25 PM »
I was not playing yet in those days.  

But I hear people saying who did, they missed it.  I heard more people say they liked it than not.  

There is hardly a correlation between night time flying and no enemy icons. Unless I am missing your point.
BS more people logged.
See Rule #4

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2010, 02:29:50 PM »

That's no surprise at all. Because those who are contend with the current setup have no reason to say anything. Those who are missing something are much more likely to voice their opinion.
People with a complaint are much more likely to voice their opinion than those who are happy.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »
BS more people logged.

Maybe, I was not there and I heard differently.

That's no surprise at all. Because those who are contend with the current setup have no reason to say anything. Those who are missing something are much more likely to voice their opinion.
People with a complaint are much more likely to voice their opinion than those who are happy.

I guess nobody here can quantify either end of the spectrum then....

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
There are a few different type of players here. Some just want to fly and shoot, some are really into the historical aspect and want to max the fantasy of being a WW2 fighter pilot.

Some are in between.

The biggest reason to fly in the Axis versus Allies arena is if you are one of the "historical fantasy" immersion types.

That is why the percieved realism of a no-icon setting is a natural for that arena and no other.

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2010, 03:05:32 PM »
That was probably the only time  :neener:

Like you would remember old one?
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.